Shiny Sever Pro. vs. free version

Eva

Oct 18, 2016, 1:52:29 AM10/18/16
to Shiny - Web Framework for R
Hi,
I'm new to Shiny Server. I'm trying to evaluate the advantages of having Pro. for my workplace; and I want to show the comparison of having the two versions.
My question is - can I install both Shiny Pro. version and free version on the same system?
Thank you.

Laz C. Peterson

Oct 18, 2016, 9:34:24 AM10/18/16
to Eva, Shiny - Web Framework for R
Hi Eva -

The biggest advantage we get out of Pro is the ability to use more server resources (with better managed resources too). We kept getting bottlenecks when more than one user was accessing the server. With Pro, our performance is limited primarily due to our data sources (and my programming ha ha).

Also, the service and support from the Rstudio crew is amazing. It's not very clear when comparing the Pro versus open source what the scope of support is, but it's definitely worth the investment.

~ Laz Peterson
Paravis, LLC

Dean Attali

Oct 18, 2016, 1:24:42 PM10/18/16
to Shiny - Web Framework for R
- Pro allows you to scale your applications to be able to support more than one user at a time (as Laz said), which is a really important feature if you plan on having your apps used by multiple people.
- It also lets you easily monitor your applications usage with a nice user friendly dashboard that shows you how your resources are being used and how many people are using which apps.
- Another very useful feature with Pro is that it gives you the ability to authenticate users - meaning you can place any shiny app you have behind a mandatory "log in" screen so that only people in your organization will be able to access the apps.
- And lastly, as Laz said, you will get priority support from RStudi and I can tell you first-hand that their support is absolutely fantastic and they'll go beyond your expectations in trying to help you if you have problems

I don't think you can easily have both versions running on the same machine, usually if you install Pro it will overwrite the free version

Eva

Oct 18, 2016, 6:56:39 PM10/18/16
to Shiny - Web Framework for R
Thank you Laz and Dean.
Our team is small - at most three people would be interacting with Shiny Server at the same time, while a few more people would try view the app. via browser. Would you still recommend having Pro.? Thanks again.

Regards,
Eva