Which graphics framework to choose with Shiny?

A. She.

May 23, 2017, 4:08:58 AM5/23/17
to Shiny - Web Framework for R
Hello!
I need to decide which graphics framework to choose as a standard for my company.
I look at highcharts, plotly, d3.
Your opinion?

g inberg

May 23, 2017, 4:34:10 AM5/23/17
to Shiny - Web Framework for R
Any requirements? What kind of plots do you want to make?
Did you have a look at the htmlwidgets page? http://www.htmlwidgets.org/showcase_plotly.html

In my opinion
- D3 makes it possible to make complicated and non-standard plots. You should know javascript (unless you can do with the D3 htmlwidgets that are available)
- Plotly and highcharts are more for standard plots like bar, scatter, pie, etc. If you work a lot with ggplot then choose plotly
Message has been deleted

A. She.

May 23, 2017, 4:48:21 AM5/23/17
to Shiny - Web Framework for R
Important is easy, fast and without javascript.
I develop dashboards for different customers.

Andras Sali

May 23, 2017, 4:52:49 AM5/23/17
to A. She., Shiny - Web Framework for R
Note also the licencing. Highcharts is not free for commercial use.

Joe Cheng

May 23, 2017, 1:38:25 PM5/23/17
to Andras Sali, A. She., Shiny - Web Framework for R
You may as well forget d3 (without some higher level plotting library on top of it). It's not a plotting library in the sense that we're used to--more like a low-level toolkit for manipulating data and the DOM, plus a bunch of abstract algorithms. All of which happen to be extremely useful for building plots. But it's a lot of work to go from nothing but d3 to, say, a decent scatter plot.

A. She.

May 24, 2017, 3:19:04 AM5/24/17
to Shiny - Web Framework for R, sali....@gmail.com, chei...@gmail.com
Thank you Joe!

Aline Deschamps

May 24, 2017, 1:37:19 PM5/24/17
to Shiny - Web Framework for R, sali....@gmail.com, chei...@gmail.com
A nice package to look at to is : "rAmCharts".
A lot of graph types are available and it could be free for commercial use, if you allow the display of a small copyright phrase in the corner of your plots.

Best regards.

Mikhail Popov

Jun 9, 2017, 8:22:10 PM6/9/17
to Shiny - Web Framework for R
If you're interested in interactivity and have a pretty good idea of what types of plots your dashboards will have, then htmlwidgets like Ger mentioned might be a good bet.

If you're fine with static plots, I would actually recommend ggplot2 as the standard. It has a very customizable theming system, so you can develop a specific theme so your company's plots all have a consistent look. (I would recommend putting this theme into an R package.) There are a lot of ways you can visualize data with ggplot2 core, but it also has a lot of extensions. From plotting graphs/networks to survival curves.

Hope this helps!

- Mikhail