Shiny:busy event not triggered by running downloadhandler?

David Griswold

Jun 21, 2017, 3:54:32 PM6/21/17
to Shiny - Web Framework for R
Hi all,

I have an app that uses a DownloadHandler to generate a rather large PDF or word file using rmarkdown. The process can take a while. I have a busy indicator set up that responds to the "shiny:busy" javascript signal that works great for other shiny calculations, but does not get triggered by the downloadHandler process. Is there any way to add that triggering, and also add the shiny:idle once the file has been successfully served?

You can test it at http://shiny.mtbos.org/testing/probgen . Click the "assignment" checkbox the the "Chapter 1" button and see how the busy signal works fine as it generates the assignment in HTML. But click the "download Word" or "download PDF" links and you'll see that the signal does not appear even though there's a good 5-10 second wait.

Thanks!
David

Dean Attali

Jun 21, 2017, 4:21:00 PM6/21/17
to Shiny - Web Framework for R
I can't offer any insight into the shiny:busy JS event. But as an alternate solution - can you not trigger and stop the busy signal from inside the downloadHandler function in the server?