[Shib-Users] Terracotta 3.0.0, IdP 2.1.2

Patrik Schnellmann

Apr 30, 2009, 5:01:36 AM4/30/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu
Dear all,

I've got an issue with Terracotta 3.0.0. The IdP web app starts o.k., but when
logging in, the following error occurs:
09:49:22.336 - ERROR [edu.internet2.middleware.shibboleth.common.profile.ProfileRequestDispatcherServlet:85] - Error processing profile request
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Classloader name not set, instances defined from this loader not supported in Terracotta (loader: org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.__tc_getClassLoaderName(ClassLoader.java) [na:1.6.0_07]
at com.tc.object.loaders.StandardClassProvider.getName(StandardClassProvider.java:160) [na:na]
at com.tc.object.loaders.StandardClassProvider.getLoaderDescriptionFor(StandardClassProvider.java:153) [na:na]
at com.tc.object.loaders.StandardClassProvider.getLoaderDescriptionFor(StandardClassProvider.java:147) [na:na]
at com.tc.object.TCClassFactoryImpl.getOrCreate(TCClassFactoryImpl.java:60) [na:na]
at com.tc.object.ClientObjectManagerImpl.getPortableObjects(ClientObjectManagerImpl.java:239) [na:na]
at com.tc.object.Traverser.addReferencedObjects(Traverser.java:37) [na:na]
at com.tc.object.Traverser.traverse(Traverser.java:81) [na:na]
at com.tc.object.ClientObjectManagerImpl.addToManagedFromRoot(ClientObjectManagerImpl.java:944) [na:na]
at com.tc.object.ClientObjectManagerImpl.create(ClientObjectManagerImpl.java:290) [na:na]
at com.tc.object.ClientObjectManagerImpl.lookupOrCreateIfNecesary(ClientObjectManagerImpl.java:350) [na:na]
at com.tc.object.ClientObjectManagerImpl.lookupOrCreate(ClientObjectManagerImpl.java:323) [na:na]
at com.tc.object.tx.ClientTransactionManagerImpl.logicalInvoke(ClientTransactionManagerImpl.java:807) [na:na]
at com.tc.object.TCObjectLogical.logicalInvoke(TCObjectLogical.java:18) [na:na]
at com.tc.object.bytecode.ManagerImpl.logicalInvoke(ManagerImpl.java:253) [na:na]
at com.tc.object.bytecode.ManagerUtil.logicalInvoke(ManagerUtil.java:251) [na:na]
at java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap$Segment.put(ConcurrentHashMap.java:439) [na:1.6.0_07]
at java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap.put(Unknown Source) [na:1.6.0_07]
at edu.internet2.middleware.shibboleth.common.util.EventingMapBasedStorageService.put(EventingMapBasedStorageService.java:104) [shibboleth-common-1.1.2.jar:na]
[...]

I'm using a standard Apache Tomcat 5.5.27 (tar ball from tomcat.apache.org) with
Java 1.6.0_07 on Debian/etch and the tim-module 2.3.1 installed as described on
https://spaces.internet2.edu/display/SHIB2/IdPCluster .

The client connection to the Terracotta server was successful.

Any idea? Is anyone using TC 3.0.0 successfully with IdP 2.1? Where could I get a 2.7 version of TC?

Patrik

--
SWITCH
Serving Swiss Universities

Chad La Joie

Apr 30, 2009, 7:21:08 AM4/30/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu
Terracotta 3 hasn't been tested yet, so I wouldn't be surprised if there
was an issue. For now, you should use TC 2.7

Chad La Joie, Software Engineer, Net Services
Werdstrasse 2, P.O. Box, 8021 Zürich, Switzerland
phone +41 44 268 15 75, fax +41 44 268 15 68
chad....@switch.ch, http://www.switch.ch

Peter Schober

Apr 30, 2009, 7:37:57 AM4/30/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu
* Chad La Joie <chad....@switch.ch> [2009-04-30 13:21]:

> Terracotta 3 hasn't been tested yet, so I wouldn't be surprised if there
> was an issue. For now, you should use TC 2.7

As Patrik pointed out, TC 2.7.x isn't available anywhere on the
terracotta site, at least not easily.
With googling and searching their confluence (of which there seem to
be several instances) one can find everything up to 2.6.2, as well as
3.0.0, but no 2.7. Also substituting version numbers for old or
current versions (e.g. s/2.6.2/2.7.3/) did not work.
(I didn't try the nightly builds of which there still seem to be
references around in 2.7.rss feeds, though.)

While it's nice to find a short mention on Shibboleth in their new
site, it's not so nice to completely withdraw the only Terracotta
version known to work with Shibboleth.
-peter

Patrik Schnellmann

Apr 30, 2009, 8:30:19 AM4/30/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu
Anyone on the list, please: Do you have a terracotta-2.7.3 (or 2.7.1)
.tar.gz for me?

It would save me the time to build it on my own. Thanks!

Peter Schober wrote:
> As Patrik pointed out, TC 2.7.x isn't available anywhere on the
> terracotta site, at least not easily.

The official answer from the Terracotta people is that you have to build it
yourself from SVN:
"It is our policy to offer older stable releases only for license
customers. You are always free as an OSS user to grab the source and
build it yourself."
(citation from the tc-users list)

> While it's nice to find a short mention on Shibboleth in their new
> site, it's not so nice to completely withdraw the only Terracotta
> version known to work with Shibboleth.

Not nice, that's true. As a paying customer, of course, one wouldn't need to
worry about that.

Patrik

--
SWITCH
Serving Swiss Universities
--------------------------

Peter Schober

Apr 30, 2009, 8:48:59 AM4/30/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu
* Patrik Schnellmann <patrik.sc...@switch.ch> [2009-04-30 14:30]:

> Anyone on the list, please: Do you have a terracotta-2.7.3 (or 2.7.1)
> .tar.gz for me?
>
> It would save me the time to build it on my own. Thanks!

So this means we should set up a mirror for the latest "known good"
version of terracotta for use with the IdP. I'll look into that.

> The official answer from the Terracotta people is that you have to build it
> yourself from SVN:
> "It is our policy to offer older stable releases only for license
> customers. You are always free as an OSS user to grab the source and
> build it yourself."
> (citation from the tc-users list)

I was under the impressen that 2.6 et al. were still available at
http://docs.terracotta.org/confluence/display/orgsite/Download+Archive
but the download links all are broken (they just lead you to the new
home page), also the source packages.

> > While it's nice to find a short mention on Shibboleth in their new
> > site, it's not so nice to completely withdraw the only Terracotta
> > version known to work with Shibboleth.
>
> Not nice, that's true. As a paying customer, of course, one wouldn't
> need to worry about that.

No, that's just stupid. If they don't provide downloads to previous
releases someone else will (unless they change the license to prevent
redistribution of binary packages, which would suck even more wrt/
eventually getting this stuff into ports and distributions).
-peter

Paul Hethmon

Apr 30, 2009, 9:32:13 AM4/30/09
to Shibboleth Users
On 4/30/09 8:48 AM, "Peter Schober" <peter....@univie.ac.at> wrote:

>> Anyone on the list, please: Do you have a terracotta-2.7.3 (or 2.7.1)
>> .tar.gz for me?
>>
>> It would save me the time to build it on my own. Thanks!
>
> So this means we should set up a mirror for the latest "known good"
> version of terracotta for use with the IdP. I'll look into that.

I've got a 2.7.2 Windows exe installer version I can make available. I can
also try zipping up the installed image for use on Linux if no one has a
copy of the tar.gz version.

Paul

-----
Paul Hethmon
Chief Software Architect
Clareity Security, LLC
865.824.1350 - office
865.250.3517 - mobile
www.clareitysecurity.com
-----

God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his
own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the
other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker
in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer
who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.

-- Terry Pratchett, Good Omens

Patrik Schnellmann

Apr 30, 2009, 10:23:15 AM4/30/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu
Hi all,

Thanks a lot for the quick replies, I've got the 2.7.3 tar.gz now.

Paul Hethmon wrote:
> I've got a 2.7.2 Windows exe installer version I can make available. I can
> also try zipping up the installed image for use on Linux if no one has a
> copy of the tar.gz version.

Thank you - I've got hold of a build for Linux.

Jim Fox

Apr 30, 2009, 1:22:58 PM4/30/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks a lot for the quick replies, I've got the 2.7.3 tar.gz now.

Can you share from where you got 2.7.3?

Thanks,

Jim

Peter Schober

Apr 30, 2009, 1:27:46 PM4/30/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu
* Jim Fox <f...@washington.edu> [2009-04-30 19:23]:

> Can you share from where you got 2.7.3?

Fyi: The copy I got from Patrick (whereever he got it from) is now archived at:

ftp://ftp.univie.ac.at/applications/terracotta/
http://ftp.univie.ac.at/applications/terracotta/

Since there's no way to check for modified packages (the md5sums from
terracotta are gone woth the packages themselfs) this is of course to
be considered untrusted/insecure.

cheers,
-peter

Taylor Gautier

Apr 30, 2009, 3:34:14 PM4/30/09
to shibboleth-users, shibbole...@internet2.edu
As of Terracotta 3 you need to add specific support for the container
you are using.

Since you are using tomcat install tim-tomcat and configure it in your
tc-config.xml.

On Apr 30, 2009, at 11:01 AM, Patrik Schnellmann <patrik.sc...@switch.ch

Jim Fox

May 19, 2009, 2:50:46 PM5/19/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu

> As of Terracotta 3 you need to add specific support for the container
> you are using.
>
> Since you are using tomcat install tim-tomcat and configure it in your
> tc-config.xml.

I tried 3.0.0 (with the tim-tomcat module). The admin console's dashboard
is cool.

However, as soon as there was any activity the terracotta server crashed
with:

java.lang.AssertionError: java.lang.AssertionError: Object was not null.
Reference already present : old = ManagedObjectImpl
+--> identityHashCode: 7738582
+--> id: ObjectID=[11002]
+--> className: java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap$Segment
+--> version:1
+--> state:
com.tc.state.idx25.java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap$Segment_V20
| +--> parentID : ObjectID=[-1] | +--> className :
java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap$Segment | +--> loaderDesc:
Standard.bootstrap | +--> references:
{java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock.readerLock=ObjectID=[1105
5],
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock.writerLock=ObjectID=[11036
],
java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantReadWriteLock.sync=ObjectID=[11056],
java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap$Segment.loadFactor=0.75,
java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap$Segment.parentMap=ObjectID=[11000]}

And the shib servlet threw an exception as well, with:

Caused by: com.tc.util.TCAssertionError: Attempt to add an object that
already exists:
com.tc.object.TCObjectPhysical@30287013[objectID=ObjectID=[11003],
TCClass=edu.internet2.middleware.shibboleth.idp.authn.LoginContextEntry]
at com.tc.util.Assert.failure(Assert.java:60) [na:na] ...

After this neither node's terracotta server would start until I cleaned out
the databases.

I've never seen this problem with 2.7.3. Gonna miss the dashboard though.

Jim

Taylor Gautier

May 19, 2009, 3:05:09 PM5/19/09
to shibboleth-users, <shibboleth-users@internet2.edu>
Hi Jim.

Maybe you could post your issue on the Terracotta forums - we'd very
much like to correct it asap.

Glad you like the console. ;)

One thing to try - you received this error after starting with a clean
Terracotta data directory? If not you could try making sure the data
directory is clear.

Jim Fox

May 19, 2009, 3:08:58 PM5/19/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu

> Hi Jim.
>
> Maybe you could post your issue on the Terracotta forums - we'd very
> much like to correct it asap.

I can do that. I'm not in any of those forums though. Which one is most
appropriate?

> Glad you like the console. ;)
>
> One thing to try - you received this error after starting with a clean
> Terracotta data directory? If not you could try making sure the data
> directory is clear.

Yes. Version 3 would not start unless I cleared the data directories
first.

Jim

Paul Hethmon

May 19, 2009, 3:15:11 PM5/19/09
to Shibboleth Users
Just as another data point, I recently put up a Shib 2.1.2 IdP with TC 3.0.
I added the tomcat tim module and everything came up fine. That was on
CentOS 5.3 with Sun JVM 1.6.13. No problems getting it up and we've been
running production for about 10 days now.

Taylor Gautier

May 19, 2009, 3:21:19 PM5/19/09
to shibboleth-users, shibbole...@internet2.edu
Any one is fine. We're going to collapse them all into TC users and TC
dev anyway to simplify.

Russell Beall

May 19, 2009, 5:33:25 PM5/19/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu
As another confirmation, I recently upgraded my staging environment
from Tomcat 5.5 to 6.0, jdk 1.5 to jdk 1.6, and moved Terracotta from
2.7.1 to 3.0.0.

I had no configuration issues other than to install tim-vector and tim-
tomcat-6.0 and then modify the tim-vector version and add the tim-
tomcat-6.0 module to tc-config:
<module name="tim-vector" version="2.4.1" group-
id="org.terracotta.modules"/>
<module name="tim-tomcat-6.0" version="1.0.1" group-
id="org.terracotta.modules"/>

This has been working fine and we plan to push these upgrades to
production in the next few weeks.

The boost from jdk 1.5 to jdk 1.6 seems to give a good performance
improvement, at least as far as Tomcat reporting on the time taken to
load the container -- from about 75 seconds down to about 43 seconds
in our environment.

Russ.

Jim Fox

May 19, 2009, 5:52:48 PM5/19/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu

Possibly my starting 3.0.0 and then discovering I had to remove data files
caused some of the trouble. I made sure to start with a clean
installation and 3.0.0 has been working without incident.

In addition, while doing some cluster load testing - authn to one idp
followed by an attribute request to the other - I ran into the parser bug
from last year. It was loosly known as "parse may not be called while
parsing" and Brent claimed to have fixed it in the REL_1 branch of
xmltooling. Using the latest xmltooling that bug seems to have
disappeared.

Jim

On Tue, 19 May 2009, Russell Beall wrote:

> Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 14:33:25 -0700
> From: Russell Beall <be...@usc.edu>
> To: "shibbole...@internet2.edu" <shibbole...@internet2.edu>
> Subject: Re: [Shib-Users] Terracotta 3.0.0, IdP 2.1.2

Russell Beall

May 19, 2009, 6:03:16 PM5/19/09
to shibbole...@internet2.edu
Now that you mention it, I do remember having to flush my 2.7 data
files. On on system though I think all I had to do was run the start
script again and it flushed itself.

Russ.