Clustering with Terracotta 3.6

raghavendra harapanahalli

Dec 13, 2011, 6:27:25 AM12/13/11
to Shib Users
Hi all,

     I tried configuring IDP cluster with Terracotta 3.6 and followed the steps as mentioned in the Wiki

https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/display/SHIB2/IdPCluster

I did some variations based on a previous discussion in the blog

http://shibboleth.1660669.n2.nabble.com/Clustering-with-Terracotta-3-4-1-td6077871.html

  • i installed tim-vector 2.7.1 and tim-tomcat 6.0 2.3.0 which are latest versions available.
  • make-boot-jar.sh had been moved to <TC_HOME>/platform/bin/. I used that version.
The boot jar got created successfully and when i tried to start the tomcat server with the sample script provided in the setup page , the startup is failing with the below entry in catalina.out

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: java.util.LinkedHashMap$Entry.<init>(ILjava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/util/HashMap$Entry;)V
        at java.util.LinkedHashMap.init(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.HashMap.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.LinkedHashMap.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at java.io.ExpiringCache$1.<init>(ExpiringCache.java:47)
        at java.io.ExpiringCache.<init>(ExpiringCache.java:47)
        at java.io.ExpiringCache.<init>(ExpiringCache.java:42)
        at java.io.UnixFileSystem.<init>(UnixFileSystem.java:127)
        at java.io.FileSystem.getFileSystem(Native Method)
        at java.io.File.<clinit>(File.java:127)
        at java.lang.System.initializeSystemClass(System.java:1086)

Please find attached the tc-config.xml i used for the setup.

I am using java 1.6.0.25.

Any idea why this error is occurring. i am not sure if its because of the Java version i am using.

tc-config.xml

Russell Beall

Dec 14, 2011, 6:39:07 PM12/14/11
to Shib Users
Does the IdP function without clustering enabled?

This doesn't look like the kind of error that is the result of something from Terracotta.

Regards,
Russ.

<tc-config.xml>--
To unsubscribe from this list send an email to users-un...@shibboleth.net

Liam Hoekenga

Jan 4, 2012, 5:54:42 PM1/4/12
to us...@shibboleth.net
I'm running into this too with java 1.6.0_29, Tomcat 6.0.33, IdP 2.3.5
and Terracotta 3.5.3.

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
java.util.LinkedHashMap$Entry.<init>(ILjava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/util/HashMap$Entry;)V

The IdP functions w/o clustering.

If dso-boot-hotspot_linux_160_29.jar doesn't exist, shibboleth skips
over it silently, and continues to load. If
dso-boot-hotspot_linux_160_29.jar does exist, it throws that error,
and the IdP fails to load.

Liam

Quoting raghavendra harapanahalli <raghub...@gmail.com>:

> Hi all,
>
> I tried configuring IDP cluster with Terracotta 3.6 and followed the
> steps as mentioned in the Wiki
>
> https://wiki.shibboleth.net/confluence/display/SHIB2/IdPCluster
>
> I did some variations based on a previous discussion in the blog
>
> http://shibboleth.1660669.n2.nabble.com/Clustering-with-Terracotta-3-4-1-td6077871.html
>

> - i installed tim-vector 2.7.1 and tim-tomcat 6.0 2.3.0 which are latest
> versions available.
> - make-boot-jar.sh had been moved to <TC_HOME>/platform/bin/. I used

> that version.
>
> The boot jar got created successfully and when i tried to start the tomcat
> server with the sample script provided in the setup page , the startup is
> failing with the below entry in catalina.out

> java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
> java.util.LinkedHashMap$Entry.<init>(ILjava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/util/HashMap$Entry;)V
> at java.util.LinkedHashMap.init(Unknown Source)
> at java.util.HashMap.<init>(Unknown Source)
> at java.util.LinkedHashMap.<init>(Unknown Source)
> at java.io.ExpiringCache$1.<init>(ExpiringCache.java:47)
> at java.io.ExpiringCache.<init>(ExpiringCache.java:47)
> at java.io.ExpiringCache.<init>(ExpiringCache.java:42)
> at java.io.UnixFileSystem.<init>(UnixFileSystem.java:127)
> at java.io.FileSystem.getFileSystem(Native Method)
> at java.io.File.<clinit>(File.java:127)
> at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:819)
> at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1028)
> at java.lang.System.initializeSystemClass(System.java:1086)
>

> Please find attached the tc-config.xml i used for the setup.
>
> I am using java 1.6.0.25.
>
> Any idea why this error is occurring. i am not sure if its because of the
> Java version i am using.
>

> !DSPAM:4ee736b7247671176612094!

tc-config.xml

Liam Hoekenga

Jan 4, 2012, 6:06:20 PM1/4/12
to us...@shibboleth.net

> I'm running into this too with java 1.6.0_29, Tomcat 6.0.33, IdP
> 2.3.5 and Terracotta 3.5.3.

> java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
> java.util.LinkedHashMap$Entry.<init>(ILjava/lang/Object;Ljava/lang/Object;Ljava/util/HashMap$Entry;)V
>
> The IdP functions w/o clustering.
>
> If dso-boot-hotspot_linux_160_29.jar doesn't exist, shibboleth skips
> over it silently, and continues to load. If
> dso-boot-hotspot_linux_160_29.jar does exist, it throws that error,
> and the IdP fails to load.

Which appears to be a problem I had in 2009. The suggestions in this
thread seem to fix it (or at least, allow it to load):

https://lists.internet2.edu/sympa/arc/shibboleth-users/2010-01/msg00111.html

Is including additional jars in <additional-boot-jar-classes> still
the solution?

Liam

Sykes, Andy

Jan 5, 2012, 5:00:57 AM1/5/12
to Shib Users
If it's any help, I have TC 3.5.2_2 in production.

> Is including additional jars in <additional-boot-jar-classes> still the solution?

With 3.5.2, I have java.util.AbstractSet in <additional-boot-jar-classes>, which I seem to recall
came from the config file on the wiki.

I also had this problem, though my notes don't make clear what the solution was; I think
I just removed TC and started again, presuming it to be a mistake on my part.

I can stick the TC 3.5.2 tarball somewhere if you need it (it seems ludicrously difficult to get older
TC versions from the website).

Andy.

Liam Hoekenga

Jan 16, 2012, 9:55:18 PM1/16/12
to Shib Users
Andy -

When you stop tomcat, do you see numerous SEVERE level errors in the tomcat error log?
I've attached an excerpt of ours.  It's slightly concerning.

Liam

!DSPAM:4f0574fa128561762716373!

catalina.out

Sykes, Andy

Jan 17, 2012, 4:17:25 AM1/17/12
to Shib Users
Hi Liam,

> When you stop tomcat, do you see numerous SEVERE level errors in the tomcat error log?
> I've attached an excerpt of ours.  It's slightly concerning.

Yes, I do. I've no idea if it's TC-related or not. Since it's warning about potential memory leaks
caused by the webapp being stopped, I've always taken the line that it can't possibly matter,
since I'm actually stopping the JVM. I've not had any production problems with TC (except the
occasional split-brain when our network group upgrade routers and partition the two IDPs).

Possibly unrelated, but buried in your log is:

*sys-package-mgr*: can't create package cache dir, '/var/tomcat/work/Catalina/localhost/idp/WEB-INF/lib/jython-2.2.1.jar/cachedir/packages'

You might want to make sure Tomcat can write there, and anywhere else in Tomcat's work
directory.

Andy.

Liam Hoekenga

Jan 18, 2012, 12:51:54 PM1/18/12
to Shib Users
Hey Andy -

re: *sys-package-mgr*: can't create package cache dir, '/var/tomcat/work/Catalina/
localhost/idp/WEB-INF/lib/jython-2.2.1.jar/cachedir/packages'

I'm not sure how to set the python.home variable from within tomcat.  :\

What version of java are you using?  We've been having some really weird outages that I haven't diagnosed yet, but they seem to be related to terracotta.

Liam