sha256 : derived from RE: Metadata Aggregator - Issues with XMLSignatureSigningStage

Peter Williams

Nov 2, 2011, 11:47:21 AM11/2/11
to Shib Dev
I've found there to be significant interoperability issues with defaulting to sha256, for metadata signatures specifically. Its simply due to older software suites, not upgraded assuming the older community profile (sha1, which fixed the responsible NSA's team's broken sha"0" attempt) to match with the strength profile of 3DES.

We have no intention of upgrading our SAML2 servers for example, simply to deal with SHA256. They will be SHA1 until they are removed from service. Similarly, we will not be processing 8000 bit RSA keys...just because some open source software suite starts manufacturing them.

As always, it's a tough call on when to make makes the newer profile the default. One has to trade the future against interworking with what is out there. If shib only ever really talks to shib (or other academically-supported SAML libraries), it's a moot point. The onus is obviously on the future, in such cases. Shib is shib, and should be distinguished from the opensaml libraries (which many vendors use). Shib might default to X-future, whereas the libraries default to Y-older.

Nov 2, 2011, 1:25:45 PM11/2/11
to Shib Dev
I have had trouble with sha256 as well, but part of why I'm excited about the metadata aggregator tool (and getting all signature algorithms working) is that it will become much easier to publish the metadata in different formats for different consumers, to make the management side of the slow trek to newer algorithms easier.