Benchmarks or profiling for ShareDB?

Riley Eynon-Lynch

Oct 16, 2016, 3:47:04 PM10/16/16
to ShareJS
Hello,

I'm new to ShareDB, and it looks awesome! I'm wondering if any work has been done to measure the performance of ShareDB at high workloads. Our usage peaks are currently about 20k concurrent users generating about 2k updates per second, writing about 2 new GB of data per day (not counting any oplog), and we hope to at least double that this year.

I don't need all of those users to be in the same document - not at all! I can limit them down to 50 users per document, and each document is less than a megabyte. So, sharding between completely separate databases is an option.

In either case, I'd need to know how to think about RAM & CPU requirements. Has any work been done to make that clear? Also, if anyone has any suggestions that would help me do that work, I'd love to hear that too.

Thanks!

Riley

Nate Smith

Oct 17, 2016, 2:37:33 PM10/17/16
to sha...@googlegroups.com
I don't think anyone has done any ShareDB benchmarking work, and any performance optimization we have done is pretty specific to our particular use.

Some context would be helpful. What's your current backend? Are you looking to move off of Google Docs to your own DB? Have you been using the Google Realtime API?

Were you planning on using query subscriptions or just collaborative doc editing?

Riley Eynon-Lynch

Oct 17, 2016, 10:12:01 PM10/17/16
to ShareJS, na...@nateps.com
We're currently using Firebase to manage many concurrent "sessions" of students interacting in a class. We're interested in moving that to our own DB & websocket implementation. We only need collaborative doc editing, not query subscriptions (I think). Thanks for the response! Maybe I'll post back if I make any headway benchmarking, if that would be helpful to others.