ShareJS(0.6) and socket.io

Matteo Morisoli

Nov 30, 2013, 7:25:20 AM11/30/13
to sha...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I'm working with a group of classmates at a collaborative editor that uses shareJS, and we wanted to add to the same page a simple chat.
At the moment we have a chat working with socket.io, but we can't make it work with the editor on the same page, is it possible to make them both work?
if not, what are the best alternatives to create a simple chat that will work in conjunction with our editor?

Vladimir Makhaev

Nov 30, 2013, 11:17:24 AM11/30/13
to sha...@googlegroups.com
ShareJS uses racer-browserchannel as transport, not socket.io. No need to mix them both in one app. You can use Derby.js - web-framework, based on ShareJS for your chat with editor.

Here is example of chat on Derby: https://github.com/vmakhaev/derby-chat
Feel free to use it as start point.
Message has been deleted

Matteo Morisoli

Dec 3, 2013, 9:48:53 AM12/3/13
to sha...@googlegroups.com
Hello, thanks for the answer!

we will give it a look, but we were told today by our professor that we will integrate our project in another existing project, and for compatibility reasons we should try to make it work with socket.io.
So we will have to mix the two, has anybody already tried it?

Vladimir Makhaev

Dec 3, 2013, 9:52:16 AM12/3/13
to sha...@googlegroups.com
Actually racer-browserchannel is almost the same as socket.io. There is no difference in the way you use them.

And you can mix them both if you need.