Can ShareDB standalone help in a app with only a few realtime documents

Somasundaram Sekar

Dec 5, 2016, 12:32:58 AM12/5/16
to ShareJS
We are building an web dashboard and would like to know if we can leverage ShareDB alone, say as a seperate microservice, just to provide realtime colloboration, and other parts of the application is hosted as a different microservice, meanwhile the data is kept eventually consistent among them via server side subscription.

Is this a viable solution with ShareDB?

Nate Smith

Dec 5, 2016, 1:47:21 AM12/5/16
to sha...@googlegroups.com
I see no reason why this would not be possible

On Sun, Dec 4, 2016 at 9:32 PM, Somasundaram Sekar <somasundara...@gmail.com> wrote:
We are building an web dashboard and would like to know if we can leverage ShareDB alone, say as a seperate microservice, just to provide realtime colloboration, and other parts of the application is hosted as a different microservice, meanwhile the data is kept eventually consistent among them via server side subscription.

Is this a viable solution with ShareDB?

Somasundaram Sekar

Dec 5, 2016, 3:21:03 AM12/5/16
to sha...@googlegroups.com
It would be more viable, if ShareDB offers some kind subscription based push to other services. Please help throw some light in that perspective.

On Sun, Dec 4, 2016 at 9:32 PM, Somasundaram Sekar <somasundaramsekar.1986@gmail.com> wrote:
We are building an web dashboard and would like to know if we can leverage ShareDB alone, say as a seperate microservice, just to provide realtime colloboration, and other parts of the application is hosted as a different microservice, meanwhile the data is kept eventually consistent among them via server side subscription.

Is this a viable solution with ShareDB?

Nate Smith

Dec 5, 2016, 11:58:36 AM12/5/16
to sha...@googlegroups.com
When you subscribe to a query or a document, that is how ops are pushed. Also, you could register listeners with PubSub separately. If you are using MongoDB, you can tail changes to a collection, which is how Mongo replication works. There are many options and it depends a lot on the specifics.