Can ShareJs model work peer-to-peer?

Eric Fong

Mar 9, 2014, 11:24:55 PM3/9/14
to sha...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I am new to shareJs.

ShareJs uses OT and STM.

Can this used in peer-to-peer collaboration?

ShareJs can record all the operations that I make to the document.

Can I send all my operations to UserA.

UserA will see my changes + his own changes (merging).
After few edits, UserA sends all his changes and my changes to UserB

Can UserB see my changes + UserA changes + his own changes?
And after UserB few edits, UserB sends back to me.
Can I see all the changes merged?

Sorry for my bad english and thanks for your help

Eric

Wout Mertens

Mar 10, 2014, 1:26:15 AM3/10/14
to sha...@googlegroups.com

OT basically makes it easy to merge things in this manner, but the end result doesn't always make sense. If both parties are changing the same word in a string at the same time, you'll get jibberish.

You can use it P2P if all parties will always merge operations in the same way. E.g. Sort by ip address.