Re: JsonOT Standalone?

Jeremy Apthorp

Aug 11, 2014, 12:51:53 PM8/11/14
to sha...@googlegroups.com
json0 is certainly usable independently of sharejs, though it isn't terribly well documented so you're a bit on your own there.

The json2 type is still a research project. json0 should be considered "stable", i.e., unlikely to change, since joseph & i aren't keen to keep working on the json0 type. (It does all the OT things and is as far as we know bug-free, though.)

One of the several reasons we want to build a new json2 type is to support ops to move structures around in the json tree (which must be accomplished by delete+add in the json0 model). Also, we think we can build an O(n) algorithm -- json0 is O(n^2).

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 4:16 AM, Danijel Baternik <dan.ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
@Joseph, I've noticed within the https://github.com/ottypes/json0/blob/master/lib/json0.js a comment reads "This is being made obsolete. It will soon be replaced by the JSON2 type". If possible, could you please provide an update on your plans? I'm interested in way you feel there is a need for a new revision and when it may become available to test.

Thanks again

Joseph Gentle

Aug 11, 2014, 1:08:26 PM8/11/14
to sha...@googlegroups.com
You should probably just use geo json on top of sharejs. But...

The documentation is better than you'd expect - OT types (including
json0) implement the API defined here:
https://github.com/ottypes/docs

Its O(j*k) where j and k are the complexities of the two operations
being transformed. In practice, its not a big problem. Very few
operations are actually concurrent. But yeah - I'm still looking
forward to doing json2 with you sometime jeremy... I have some time
now too...

I made a little toy using the JSON OT type directly to (in memory)
share a document between the client and server. Its here:
https://github.com/josephg/appstate

.. It turns out it only takes a few hundred lines to get something
working with OT without using sharejs.

-J
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted