Getting dataset to show up

Eric Smith

Dec 4, 2013, 11:03:27 PM12/4/13
to shareab...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I am new to Shareabouts but am excited to learn and am learning quickly.

I have set up a test dataset using the Shareabouts Manager and the hosted API. I created a single point for testing. I have been following the directions on the github 'From 0 to Shareabouts in about an hour' & 'Configuration' pages. The page shows up locally by running it on the local server.

I am having trouble getting the points to show up.

In the local_settings.py I have changed:
  'FLAVOR': 'testing',
  'DATASET_ROOT': 'Root URL from the properties page',
  'DATASET_KEY': 'Key from the API Keys Page',

I have changed the center (x,y) of the map in the config.yml file to be the same as the point. No data points are showing up at this point. Am I missing a setting? The documents mentioned a 'slug' which I set in the manager but have not used it anywhere sense.

Any ideas? Let me know if I confused you.

Once I have this running I will be facing the challenge of getting it onto dot cloud of which I am a little scared as I have never done anything like this before. If anyone has any descriptive setup items to use in conjunction with the deployment documentation I would appreciate it.

Thank you very much,
Eric

Frank Hebbert

Dec 4, 2013, 11:36:24 PM12/4/13
to shareab...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eric --

Is your flavor folder called "testing"?

The dataset root in local_settings.py should use v2 of the API, not v1 -- try changing that. The URL you get from the API is incorrect, sorry. I just updated the docs.

As a general note when testing, open up the console in your browser for error messages. These will (sometimes) be helpful. If the changes above don't fix it, please paste the error from the console when replying.

Regarding dotcloud, I suggest using Heroku instead (it's free). Our instructions for it are ok, but you might want to read a little bit about Heroku before diving into it.

Frank

--
-- --
Shareabouts Developers group.

Frank Hebbert
OpenPlans | http://openplans.org | 720 432-2378 | @fkh

Eric Smith

Dec 5, 2013, 12:24:08 AM12/5/13
to shareab...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the flavor is named 'testing' for now. Do I need anything else here other than changing  'default' to 'testing'?

I changed http://api.shareabouts.org/api/v1/...    to    http://api.shareabouts.org/api/v2/...      Still nothing.

Looking at the console it looks like it is also looking for v1 in the in index...?

  1. Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined
    1. collection.fetch.success
    2. options.success
    3. c
    4. p.fireWith
    5. k
    6. r

      I will be sure to check out Heroku.

      Thanks.
      Eric

Frank Hebbert

Dec 5, 2013, 8:43:16 AM12/5/13
to shareab...@googlegroups.com
Did you restart the local server after changing that path to v2?

Eric Smith

Dec 5, 2013, 8:59:18 AM12/5/13
to shareab...@googlegroups.com
I did, it didn't work last night but I am making progress this morning. I no longer get those errors but now have others which I am working on fixing.

event.returnValue is deprecated. Please use the standard event.preventDefault() instead.
Place type undefined is not configured so it will not appear on the map.

Again, I am new to this so it will take some time. Thanks for all of your help.

Frank Hebbert

Dec 5, 2013, 9:07:45 AM12/5/13
to shareab...@googlegroups.com
Cool. You can ignore the first error. The second error means you have some data in your dataset that the map doesn't know how to style. You can also ignore that for now, unless you are adding points using the map and they aren't showing up.

Eric Smith

Dec 5, 2013, 9:12:10 AM12/5/13
to shareab...@googlegroups.com
That is what I figured. I see existing place_type in the config document but am not sure how to add place type to points created in the Shareabouts manager. It is an attribute created in the manager?

I would then create the new place_type in the config and style it I assume.

-Eric

Frank Hebbert

Dec 5, 2013, 11:09:28 AM12/5/13
to shareab...@googlegroups.com
The easiest approach is to configure your map so it submits points to the dataset using the location_type categories you want. You don't need to create points manually in the manager.

Eric Smith

Dec 5, 2013, 11:32:55 AM12/5/13
to shareab...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, that makes sense. I created some points using the web interface.  How do these show up in the manager though? I created a blank dataset as instructed. I am probably missing something in the configuration document.

Frank Hebbert

Dec 5, 2013, 11:56:06 AM12/5/13
to shareab...@googlegroups.com

Eric Smith

Dec 5, 2013, 12:03:12 PM12/5/13
to shareab...@googlegroups.com
Frank,

I am very sorry. I just had to wait a little while for them to show up... sorry. I am going too fast I think... but this is very very cool. I am excited.

Again, I greatly appreciate your help with all of my questions. I hope my questions will help someone else in the future and I will eventually be able to help other people.