Activating the popularity slider and the possibility of adding negative voting

Linn Davis

Oct 9, 2013, 6:02:57 PM10/9/13
to shareab...@googlegroups.com
Alright, one more new topic for the day. Two quick questions:

1) How do I activate the popularity slider that exists on some Shareabouts sites? I'm not seeing an option for it in config.yml, although I know I could easily be missing something.

2) While I love the positive nature of only being able to support places on the map -- and not being able to thumbs-down people's ideas -- I think being able to vote ideas both up and down would eventually be pretty essentially for my particular project. Is there any relatively simple way to implement this within Shareabouts, or would this be a major undertaking? If it's relatively simple, then any hints on where to start would be appreciated -- or else I'll just start digging around on my own and not bother you again until I've figured something out. ;) If you think it would be a major undertaking, then I'll just go add it as a suggested feature.

Thanks much,
Linn

Frank Hebbert

Oct 10, 2013, 12:29:11 AM10/10/13
to shareab...@googlegroups.com
Comments in line below.

1) How do I activate the popularity slider that exists on some Shareabouts sites? I'm not seeing an option for it in config.yml, although I know I could easily be missing something.

The popularity slider was a feature in earlier versions of Shareabouts that hasn't made it into more recent versions. You're not missing anything in the config, it's not there.

Want it back? Add a feature request!

2) While I love the positive nature of only being able to support places on the map -- and not being able to thumbs-down people's ideas -- I think being able to vote ideas both up and down would eventually be pretty essentially for my particular project. Is there any relatively simple way to implement this within Shareabouts, or would this be a major undertaking? If it's relatively simple, then any hints on where to start would be appreciated -- or else I'll just start digging around on my own and not bother you again until I've figured something out. ;) If you think it would be a major undertaking, then I'll just go add it as a suggested feature.

Not totally straightforward. You could use comments, but instead of taking written comments, take a plus or minus vote (e.g. with a radio button). And with jquery, you could count them up when someone opens the info for a location. I agree that downvotes are a good idea for some projects, so please go ahead and suggest it.

You might also be interested in this previous idea from Aaron Fraint -- https://github.com/openplans/shareabouts/issues/32

--
Frank Hebbert
OpenPlans | http://openplans.org | 720 432-2378 | @fkh

Andrew Cochran

Oct 10, 2013, 10:25:00 AM10/10/13
to shareab...@googlegroups.com
As an aside, I think that down votes might work best with required auth—which we've just recently added—in order to avoid people gaming the system.

--
-- --
Shareabouts Developers group.

Andrew Cochran | OpenPlans | 917-388-9030
148 Lafayette Street, PH, New York, NY 10013

Frank Hebbert

Jan 14, 2014, 8:06:51 PM1/14/14
to shareab...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Linn, for adding some great feature suggestions as a follow-up to this email thread: https://github.com/openplans/shareabouts/issues/72

Frank

Linn Davis

Jan 15, 2014, 3:01:56 PM1/15/14
to shareab...@googlegroups.com
Oh hey, absolutely. Meant to do it long ago but forgot. Thanks!

I love the new versions of Shareabouts, by the way. So many great design changes! I have a couple questions about updating from the old design, but I'll put those in a new thread.

Happy New Year!

Linn