Shareabouts questions

Georgia Bullen

Dec 4, 2013, 9:06:24 AM12/4/13
to fr...@openplans.org, shareab...@googlegroups.com, Caroline Massa, Jesper Frant

Hi All!

A few questions have come up as my students have been getting into Shareabouts.

1) the crosshairs on the map are gone randomly. They had been there previously, is that a setting somewhere?

2) is there a way to have a field only show up on the form when another field is chosen?

3) can you use select dropdowns in the comment survey as you can in the main form? (At the moment we are seeing [Object object] as the values in the drop down )

4) one student has been creating an interactive map in CartoDB and wants it (with interactions) as the basemap in shareabouts. Is that possible? I would imagine it just means that the javascriot would need to go somewhere as well as the css?

Thanks!

Georgia

Andrew Cochran

Dec 4, 2013, 10:32:36 AM12/4/13
to shareab...@googlegroups.com, Frank Hebbert, Caroline Massa, Jesper Frant
Comments on 1 & 2 inline…

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 9:06 AM, Georgia Bullen <georgia...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi All!

A few questions have come up as my students have been getting into Shareabouts.

1) the crosshairs on the map are gone randomly. They had been there previously, is that a setting somewhere?

This was a design decision as part of release 3.7.0. The crosshair was an artifact of the workflow for adding points on mobile. However, now the workflow for adding points is the same on small screens as it is for large screens: drop a pin, drag the map, complete the form. I have a more in-depth explanation of this in an overdue blog post.

2) is there a way to have a field only show up on the form when another field is chosen?

This is a great feature request, and we have big plans to make forms work better. But in the past, we've managed to do this with custom javascript. You can see it in action here: http://phlush-civicworks.dotcloud.com/place/new

--
-- --
Shareabouts Developers group.

Andrew Cochran | OpenPlans | 917-388-9030
148 Lafayette Street, PH, New York, NY 10013

Frank Hebbert

Dec 4, 2013, 10:45:19 AM12/4/13
to Andrew Cochran, shareab...@googlegroups.com, Caroline Massa, Jesper Frant
And to answer #3 and #4 --

3) can you use select dropdowns in the comment survey as you can in the main form? (At the moment we are seeing [Object object] as the values in the drop down )

You should be able to, please send a link to the config.yml file so we can help you debug.

4) one student has been creating an interactive map in CartoDB and wants it (with interactions) as the basemap in shareabouts. Is that possible? I would imagine it just means that the javascriot would need to go somewhere as well as the css?

This is not something that can be done via the config file, where you can add leaflet layers (e.g. a tilemill map) directly. CartoDB requires its own javascript library, CaroDB.js. If you can hack this into the map source, please share a link!

--
Frank Hebbert
OpenPlans | http://openplans.org | 720 432-2378 | @fkh