ERROR 3 (0x00000003) Scanning Source Directory x:\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\Documents\My Music\

Alan Cinimod

Aug 24, 2015, 9:45:50 PM8/24/15
to ShadowSpawn Support
I am not sure if this will get looked at but I figure it is worth a try. So I am pretty new to ShadowSpawn (as in 15 minutes ago) and ran a test to see what is what. Everything was looking good.

This was my command line: ShadowSpawn.exe c:\windows x: robocopy x:\ f:\c-drive\windows /e /b

As I have mentioned this was really just a test. The plan is to use this to copy my entire C:\ to an external drive, and will be initiated manually. Nothing too complicated.
Everything started well and robocopy was chugging along copying the mounted shadow copy of C:\Windows from X:\ to F:\C-Drive when all of a sudden I started getting the error:

2015/08/24 20:26:13 ERROR 3 (0x00000003) Scanning Source Directory x:\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\Documents\My Music\
Waiting 30 seconds... Retrying...

The same error repeated a few times and I ended up ctrl-c'ing out of it. While it was erroring out I was able to access X:\ and cd into SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\Documents\ which appeared empty.
So I am not sure what happened. The actual directory structure of the live C:\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\Documents is also empty and does not contain a folder called "My Music".

If anyone has an explanation or suggestion I would be very grateful to hear it.

Craig Andera

Aug 24, 2015, 10:07:14 PM8/24/15
to shadowsp...@googlegroups.com, zur...@elitemail.org
Hi Alan, sorry to hear you're having trouble. As you might have
figured out, ShadowSpawn is no longer under active development. I
don't actually use Windows any more except to play games. But perhaps
someone else can shed some light.

The one thing I do wonder is whether that directory might be "special"
somehow, like it's a link or something. I would see if robocopy will
run against that directory without ShadowSpawn in the mix. If robocopy
fails on its own, and the error isn't due to a file being in use, then
robocopy + shadowspawn is unlikely to work. If it *is* due to some
weirdness in the filesystem, perhaps robocopy has a switch that can be
useful.

Alan Cinimod

Aug 24, 2015, 10:40:31 PM8/24/15
to ShadowSpawn Support, zur...@elitemail.org, can...@wangdera.com
Wow, thank you for the speedy response. I will definitely try using robocopy on that specific directory and see what happens. Thanks for the help.

Alan Cinimod

Aug 24, 2015, 10:53:27 PM8/24/15
to ShadowSpawn Support, zur...@elitemail.org, can...@wangdera.com
This is for anyone else reading this and has encountered this problem. I ended up using /XJ on robocopy to exclude junctions and /R:1 for 1 retry instead of the default of 1,000,000 and /W: 2 for delay between retries to 2 seconds instead of the default 30 seconds. Yes, that is right, the default retry settings would take 347 days to finally give up on a file.

Craig Andera

Aug 24, 2015, 11:46:46 PM8/24/15
to shadowsp...@googlegroups.com, Alan Cinimod

Glad you figured it out! Good call on the junctions switch - I thought it might be something like that. Watch out for cross-volume links,  though, as Shadowspawn doesn't do cross volume. Not sure junctions *can* cross volumes,  but just in case.