OT: Dog bike trailer recs?

Ted Lesher_

Jul 12, 2017, 2:10:08 PM7/12/17
to SF2G
My girlfriend and I are adopting a small/medium dog (probably won't be more than 30 pounds). I still want to bike to work, and fortunately work in a dog friendly office. So, the obvious/somewhat ridiculous answer is to get a dog trailer and bike to work with the dog in tow most days!

Anybody have any recs? I'll probably have to remove/attach it frequently, so being able to do that is important. I'm looking at this one, anybody have any experience?

Christine Ryan

Jul 12, 2017, 2:19:14 PM7/12/17
to Ted Lesher, SF2G
I've heard the owners of my local bike shop recommend this one: https://burley.com/product/tail-wagon/

To be honest, I've never used or even seen it in person myself, but they swear by it, and they do a lot of accessory installation, so I'd expect they know what they're talking about.

---

David Goldsmith

Jul 12, 2017, 2:35:33 PM7/12/17
to crya...@gmail.com, Ted Lesher, SF2G
Wasn't there a guy who used to ride SF2G pretty frequently with a dog in tow? The dog would get to have a pee and a snack at waterstop.

I think the dog was named Muppet but I can't for the life of me remember the guy's name.

Go for it, Ted, the dog will be great for morale and you'll get in incredible shape!

Ben Kraft

Jul 12, 2017, 2:38:28 PM7/12/17
to crya...@gmail.com, Ted Lesher, SF2G
I've wondered (but doubt) my dog would put up with one of the frances trailers. It should pull a lot better than the two wheel trailers. Might be a great option if you had a super relaxed dog.

Otherwise, I've bought a couple of older, beat burly child trailers off craigslist for ~$50. They're medium quality (~$300 retail price point is a lot to ask) but probably much higher quality and lighter weight than that amazon trailer. Should work fine for a dog, older might be better.

---

Scott Perry

Jul 12, 2017, 2:46:35 PM7/12/17
to ben....@gmail.com, crya...@gmail.com, Ted Lesher, SF2G
I rode bike to work day this year with my dog (~35lb) in a B.O.B. Ibex. It worked great, but mostly because she is super well-trained as it's trivial to get in and out. A trailer made for a dog is likely to make different tradeoffs in the service of keeping the dog in the trailer.

But one-wheel trailers like this handle great, both empty and under load, and attaching/detaching from the rear axle is super easy. Parking is great, just jackknife the trailer and it holds the bike up.

The only downside is getting home. Your mileage may vary, but Caltrain frowns on anything longer than a standard bike, especially during commute hours, and the rig wasn't especially compatible with the buses at work. YawyaB with a trailer is even less fun than usual.

image1.JPG

Ted Lesher_

Jul 12, 2017, 2:54:35 PM7/12/17
to SF2G
Thanks everybody! Fortunately I work downtown now and live in the outer sunset so my commute is a pretty manageable ~6 miles each way and I don't have to deal with caltrain or company shuttles

Justin!

Jul 12, 2017, 4:07:25 PM7/12/17
to SF2G
I always thought the xtracycle side car was adorable, but probably not good for the city.

http://www.bfw.org/2015/04/27/going-to-the-dogs-with-the-xtracycle-edgerunner/