7/27 Vacation Day Mt. Tam Dirt

Daniel Hobe

Jul 26, 2016, 2:20:57 PM7/26/16
to SF2G, sf...@googlegroups.com
I've got the week off and am planning a longer ride around Mt. Tam
tomorrow. Probably up Old Railroad Grade to Panoramic, Down to
Coastal then up Bobcat and back.

Something like this:
https://www.strava.com/activities/591139945

I'll leave Hayes Valley around 8:45ish. Anyone interested?

--
Daniel Hobe <ho...@gmail.com>

Ted Ketai

Jul 26, 2016, 2:57:46 PM7/26/16
to Daniel Hobe, SF2G, sf...@googlegroups.com
Couple tips: much more fun to go down Coastal Trail from the top vs. taking the road, but going down Coastal from the top of the ridge into Tennessee Valley isn't much fun, more fun to go up Diaz and down Miwok. https://www.strava.com/activities/576247484

--
Daniel Hobe <ho...@gmail.com>

Bret Lobree

Jul 26, 2016, 3:20:44 PM7/26/16
to Ted Ketai, Daniel Hobe, SF2G, sf...@googlegroups.com
+1 to Ted's suggestions, but not to the ride. Middle Green Gulch is a good option if not Diaz too.

---

Jason Thorpe

Jul 26, 2016, 3:32:28 PM7/26/16
to blo...@gmail.com, Ted Ketai, Daniel Hobe, SF2G, sf...@googlegroups.com
+1 on Green Gulch

-- thorpej
Sent from my iPhone.

Daniel Hobe

Jul 26, 2016, 3:59:59 PM7/26/16
to Jason Thorpe, Bret Lobree, Ted Ketai, SF2G, sf...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the tips! I'll give them a try if I can find the trails.
I've saved these to GPX files and have them on my phone/
--
Daniel Hobe <ho...@gmail.com>

Ted Ketai

Jul 26, 2016, 5:14:58 PM7/26/16
to Daniel Hobe, Jason Thorpe, Bret Lobree, SF2G, sf...@googlegroups.com
As far as climbing out from the Pelican Inn on Green Gulch vs. Diaz Ridge: Green Gulch you get to through a couple deer gates with a farm in-between so don't get confused. It is much steeper in parts and especially one part in the middle where I've only cleared it at top fitness and MTB gearing, but it's very pretty and less traveled and has fewer switchbacks and water bars. Diaz is a more mellow grade, but more switchbacky. Both have their good and bad sides.

In terms of getting to the Miwok descent instead of coastal back into TV, just go left instead of right when you get up to the ridge.

Daniel Hobe

Jul 27, 2016, 5:20:30 PM7/27/16
to Ted Ketai, Jason Thorpe, Bret Lobree, SF2G, sf...@googlegroups.com
Once I was on it I realized I'd done coastal from the ranger station
to 1 before. That really hits all the various climate zones on Tam as
you go down. I missed the turn off for Miwok in TV though, I'll have
to save that for next time.

https://www.strava.com/activities/655717029
--
Daniel Hobe <ho...@gmail.com>

David Simpson

Jul 28, 2016, 3:10:35 PM7/28/16
to SF2G, ho...@gmail.com, tho...@me.com, blo...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
Nice ride! A couple more options for that loop (best for MTB).

There's a small section of singletrack through the Muir Beach community that you can take instead of 1 when you finish Coastal View.

If you are skipping the headlands, you can ride Pipeline / Tenderfoot back down to Mill Valley.