Any Thanksgiving Holiday Rides from SF?

James Brown

Nov 23, 2015, 12:09:16 AM11/23/15
to SF2G

Hello all,

Being new to the area, I'm looking for (and can't find any) rides either Thursday, Friday, Saturday or Sunday that originate in San Francisco (or even Sausalito).  I found ONE that starts in Fairfax and is a 61 mile ride but since I'm ~25 miles from Fairfax, I think 111 miles is a bit much in one day.

So, does anybody know of any rides this Thanksgiving Holiday?

Thanks!!

Geraldine Tran

Nov 23, 2015, 1:06:14 AM11/23/15
to SF2G
Well, I'm hoping to do a one-way trip from SF to Los Gatos (or Los Altos if I'm lazy), via Skyline Blvd on Wed or Thursday. Also, I've ridden with the Sports Basement crew which leads a ride from the Presidio location to local destinations. They told me that next Sunday will be presidio to china camp and back (San Rafael). Check out their events page and you can contact them via the email address provided http://www.sportsbasement.com/calendar/

Also, ppl post here for weekend shenanigans pretty often too so check back!

-GT

djconnel

Nov 23, 2015, 11:05:04 AM11/23/15
to SF2G
Http://lowkeyhillclimbs.com/2015/week9 : okay this is San Jose, but someone did do it in 2013 riding down from San Francisco.

James Brown

Nov 23, 2015, 11:27:32 AM11/23/15
to SF2G
Thanks for the info!  I'll keep an eye on the calendar and the forum.

James Brown

Nov 23, 2015, 11:31:33 AM11/23/15
to SF2G
Would love to do that ride but that's pretty far from SF (and to get back)...  Probably would have to use the Caltrain if I did this ride.

Zachary Ulissi

Nov 23, 2015, 1:01:04 PM11/23/15
to ib...@google.com, SF2G
I'm planning to do part of that ride on Thursday with some friends.  Probably leaving redwood city ~7am, or palo alto ~730am (details TBD).  Rough route is here: http://www.strava.com/routes/3680263.  We might take the San Jose caltrain back, or maybe ride back.

We'll probably be pretty efficient (~style 2 pace w/ minimal stops) on the way down if anyone else wants to join.

---

djconnel

Nov 23, 2015, 2:44:13 PM11/23/15
to SF2G, ib...@google.com
As an aside, it will be cold on Thursday, with a high on Hamilton peak of around 44F.  It's a 7 mile descent straight off the summit, then a brief climb, then almost 12 miles of mostly descending.

So bring layers....  I'd even bring a small backpack to store a warm jacket.

Also, I'd watch for ice on the bridge (7 miles from summit).

Bret Lobree

Nov 23, 2015, 6:22:43 PM11/23/15
to Dan Connelly, SF2G, ib...@google.com
Just did THE thanksgiving ride...

James Brown

Nov 23, 2015, 6:34:22 PM11/23/15
to SF2G, djco...@gmail.com, ib...@google.com
That's awesome!!  Is anybody doing this ride on Thursday?

Bret Lobree

Nov 23, 2015, 6:36:48 PM11/23/15
to ib...@google.com, SF2G, Dan Connelly
Anyone is welcome to the GPX file...though it might be easier with a paper map...you can borrow that if you'd like. Also, lunch at La Boulangerie SF is perfect...we hit it right at noon.

Jason Thorpe

Nov 23, 2015, 8:20:29 PM11/23/15
to Bret Lobree, ib...@google.com, SF2G, Dan Connelly
On Nov 23, 2015, at 3:36 PM, Bret Lobree <blo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Anyone is welcome to the GPX file...though it might be easier with a paper map...you can borrow that if you'd like. Also, lunch at La Boulangerie SF is perfect...we hit it right at noon.

Sigh, sorry I had to miss this today. :-(

-- thorpej

Christine Ryan

Nov 23, 2015, 11:02:46 PM11/23/15
to tho...@me.com, Bret Lobree, ib...@google.com, SF2G, Dan Connelly
We missed you!
Sent from Gmail Mobile

djconnel

Nov 25, 2015, 9:52:39 PM11/25/15
to SF2G, tho...@me.com, blo...@gmail.com, ib...@google.com, djco...@gmail.com
Only the cool kids were invited :(

There's this tomorrow, from FatCake.  Sleep in for the holiday?   Heh.

Tomorrow/Thursday 6:15a from GGB....come get #tempowithPepe Our own Mario Duarte will be leading Paradise ride guaranteed to get your Thanksgiving BASE started in the right direction. Happy Thanksgiving!!

On Monday, November 23, 2015 at 10:02:46 PM UTC-6, Chris Ryan wrote:
We missed you!