Sun 20 Oct 2016 9am MSR: 24th Annual Tour of the S.F. Hills

djconnel

Nov 14, 2016, 9:22:26 PM11/14/16
to SF2G
I did this ride two years ago and it's a lot of fun, but the pace is very relaxed, so don't plan to get home any time soon.  Also it started as a ROMP ride (a mountain bike version of Western Wheelers) and the tradition remains that most riders are on mountain bikes.  A full-gas effort up Hill Street after eating burritos in the Mission is .... interesting.  I skipped the burrito.

Not sure about "flat-resistant tubes" -- I get very few flats in SF.  The peninsula is much worse.  Although I did flat an expensive time trial tubular on Scott Crosby's Folsomabitch challenge way back.

---------------
24th Annual Tour of the S.F. Hills

Sunday, November 20th

Meet at the parking lot across the street from the Marina Safeway at 9
A.M.

Bring a mountain bike or road bike with LOW gears and flat-resistant
tires/tubes.

"The ride explores a multitude of neighborhoods in the city, taking the
most difficult path from cafe to taqueria. With the many hilltops in the
city, and with the usual good luck with weather conditions, the riders are
treated to frequent magnificent views. The parade of cyclists winding down
Lombard St. and then climbing the 32% grade on Filbert St. always attracts
the attention of tourists. Other sites explored on the ride are Potrero
Hill (with the fast descent down the "other" crookedest street in the
world), Coit Tower, Nob Hill, and Mt. Davidson. A bonus feature is the
optional ascent of the Broderick St. sidewalk in Pacific Heights. This
street, below the Levi mansion, is so steep that it is blocked off to
traffic - the upper half being a driveway more crooked than Lombard St. A
casual pace on the ride ensures that the attrition rate is low, but the
prospect of climbing Hill St. after scarfing burritos in the Mission
always sheds a few riders."