OT: make your SF2G sock preferences known!

Yuanyu Chen

Dec 19, 2016, 3:31:42 PM12/19/16
to SF2G
I have begun corresponding with the SockGuy guy about doing another order for SF2G socks, and figured I'd make it a semi-democratic process. The last batch of socks came in black/blue/red, 5" cuff, wool/acrylic blend, and I will likely default to that unless you (yes, you!) have strong feelings otherwise.

So! Please let me know (PM or reply-all on this thread is fine) if you liked the last batch, disliked the last batch, want other colors, or have other Strong Opinions, and I'll try to take opinions into account.

I'm hoping to open up orders around new year's-ish, and get the order started in production mid/late-January-ish, so look out for more ordering information around then!

Ben Blizard

Dec 19, 2016, 3:34:03 PM12/19/16
to Yuanyu Chen, SF2G
Really love my SF2G socks.  I was thinking about trying to collectivize a re-buy myself.

The ones I have are the SF2G w the white vertical stripe on the achilles.  I have red, navy, black. Starting to wear out a few pairs.

---

Ben Blizard
Voice: (650) 450-0037

Alexandre Passos

Dec 19, 2016, 3:39:03 PM12/19/16
to Yuanyu Chen, SF2G
My red ones are completely worn out, while the blue and black ones have a lot of life left.

It'd be nice to have the option of heavier socks for days like today.

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 12:31 PM, Yuanyu Chen <yuany...@gmail.com> wrote:

---

 - Alexandre

Cordelia Link

Dec 19, 2016, 3:43:54 PM12/19/16
to SF2G
My wish list:
Shorter cuff height
More/gendered size options (The standard size fit fine but smaller would be awesome if there's enough demand for that)
No complaints on the material though I'd be curious about what the options are. Seems hard to find a list on the site.

John Murphy

Dec 19, 2016, 3:45:44 PM12/19/16
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1, I'm in for at least 8 pairs

Peter Colijn

Dec 19, 2016, 3:47:47 PM12/19/16
to murphstahoe, SF2G
I like fuzzy socks, as you know. But I don't think sock guy makes them...

Yuanyu Chen

Dec 19, 2016, 3:55:22 PM12/19/16
to caff...@colijn.ca, murphstahoe, SF2G
Peter, if you find a fuzzy sock vendor that'll make custom socks, I'd be happy to run a fuzzy sock order in parallel :)

Cordelia (and everyone else) - attached a file w/ the color / material / cuff options available. Previously (Chris Ryan, please correct me if I'm wrong here...just deducing from the proofs) the colored parts were an acrylic/wool blend and the white bits were acrylic.

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 12:47 PM Peter Colijn <caff...@colijn.ca> wrote:
I like fuzzy socks, as you know. But I don't think sock guy makes them...
On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 12:45 PM, John Murphy <ta...@murphstahoe.com> wrote:
+1, I'm in for at least 8 pairs

--
---

---

---
YarnChart.pdf

Cordelia Link

Dec 19, 2016, 4:00:10 PM12/19/16
to SF2G, caff...@colijn.ca, ta...@murphstahoe.com
Adding to my wishlist: merino wool

Thomas Roessler

Dec 19, 2016, 4:01:30 PM12/19/16
to SF2G, cordel...@gmail.com, caff...@colijn.ca, ta...@murphstahoe.com
+1

Christine Ryan

Dec 19, 2016, 4:09:39 PM12/19/16
to caff...@colijn.ca, murphstahoe, yuany...@gmail.com, SF2G
That sounds right--only complication I'd add is that there are (I believe) minimum order requirements for various options, and meeting those can make it hard to offer a lot of options. But they may have changed their rules/requirements!
Sent from Gmail Mobile

David Goldsmith

Dec 19, 2016, 4:10:04 PM12/19/16
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Yuanyu, SockGuy offered a white in wool at one time.

We had a couple additional colors (Crosby-Kochie Orange and Jensie pink) for the third order - it's nice to have a little variety - and it looks like SockGuy has some nice new wool colors. I had no problem selling out the new colors.

If you're interested in using the classic SF2G logo instead of the design with the vertical stripe, I have the artwork for it.

Whatever design/colors you go with, I'm definitely in for some more - a lot of mine are starting to wear out, too.

- David

Jason Thorpe

Dec 19, 2016, 4:12:52 PM12/19/16
to yuany...@gmail.com, SF2G
On Dec 19, 2016, at 12:31 PM, Yuanyu Chen <yuany...@gmail.com> wrote:

I have begun corresponding with the SockGuy guy about doing another order for SF2G socks, and figured I'd make it a semi-democratic process. The last batch of socks came in black/blue/red, 5" cuff, wool/acrylic blend, and I will likely default to that unless you (yes, you!) have strong feelings otherwise.

This configuration is essentially perfect.  I will be ordering many pairs of black.

So! Please let me know (PM or reply-all on this thread is fine) if you liked the last batch, disliked the last batch, want other colors, or have other Strong Opinions, and I'll try to take opinions into account.

I'm hoping to open up orders around new year's-ish, and get the order started in production mid/late-January-ish, so look out for more ordering information around then!

---

-- thorpej

R Samuel Klatchko

Dec 19, 2016, 6:25:10 PM12/19/16
to SF2G, yuany...@gmail.com
I prefer the material of the first generation short socks and would vote to use that again.

Ken Macinnis

Dec 19, 2016, 6:28:00 PM12/19/16
to r.samuel...@gmail.com, SF2G, yuany...@gmail.com
My first gen (white, black, red) are holding up much better. I think it's my favorite Sock Guy material, have some others in it, but would be open to a 5" version so as to fit in with my fellow kids.

On Dec 19, 2016, at 3:25 PM, R Samuel Klatchko <r.samuel...@gmail.com> wrote:

I prefer the material of the first generation short socks and would vote to use that again.

Jason Ally

Dec 20, 2016, 12:44:26 PM12/20/16
to SF2G, r.samuel...@gmail.com, yuany...@gmail.com
+1 for socks, I'll let everyone else hammer out the details.

Chris Merrill

Dec 20, 2016, 12:46:03 PM12/20/16
to jason...@gmail.com, SF2G, r.samuel...@gmail.com, yuany...@gmail.com
I am interested in socks and enjoy the idea of bright colors like orange/pink, but I am generally pretty okay with any comfortable thing on my foot.

Ryan Anderson

Dec 20, 2016, 1:17:17 PM12/20/16
to Chris Merrill, jason...@gmail.com, SF2G, R Samuel Klatchko, Yuanyu Chen
I liked the first batch of socks (shorter) better than the second batch, mostly because they are shorter.

I did just start ordering approximately those socks from SockGuy becaues I like them so much more.

---

Ryan

Patrick Kitto

Dec 20, 2016, 4:17:41 PM12/20/16
to ry...@michonline.com, Chris Merrill, jason...@gmail.com, SF2G, R Samuel Klatchko, Yuanyu Chen
I vote for second gen sock height, wool and black like my heart.

I'm open on all other design decisions.

aamir ali

Dec 20, 2016, 5:20:10 PM12/20/16
to SF2G, ry...@michonline.com, notspel...@gmail.com, jason...@gmail.com, r.samuel...@gmail.com, yuany...@gmail.com
+1 for socks, love the ones I have right now. I do like the 1st gen design more though I prefer the 2nd gen length.
Ryan

Nathan Dushman

Dec 20, 2016, 6:31:25 PM12/20/16
to SF2G
Personally I like the shorter cuff length, as on the earlier sock order.

Maxence Nachury

Dec 20, 2016, 7:10:25 PM12/20/16
to Chris Merrill, jason...@gmail.com, SF2G, R Samuel Klatchko, yuany...@gmail.com
+ 1 for bright colors. Neon pink D-feet is my favorite. Neon yellow is good too.

+1 for shorter socks. I don’t have the 1st gen but 2nd gen feels a tad long.

Yuanyu Chen

Dec 20, 2016, 7:10:59 PM12/20/16
to n...@abtech.org, SF2G
if anyone wants to tell me more details on the materials/cuff length of the first gen/second gen socks, that would be highly appreciated, just so I'm at least vaguely aware of what people are talking about :)

David Goldsmith

Dec 20, 2016, 7:32:15 PM12/20/16
to yuany...@gmail.com, n...@abtech.org, SF2G
SF2G sock history:

First gen - these were designed by Scott Crosby with the classic SF2G logo.

Three orders:

- First order was done by Scott (black and I think white, in wool, 3" cuff)
- Second order was done by me (black, white, navy, and red in wool 3" cuff)
- Third order was done by me (pink and orange in acrylic, 3" cuff)

Second gen - these were designed by Ramesh (I think) to go with the "Typography is an Art" jersey.

- Fourth order was done by Chris Ryan (I got black and red, forget what other colors there were, all wool, longer cuff)

- David

R Samuel Klatchko

Dec 20, 2016, 9:41:32 PM12/20/16
to d...@dgolds.com, SF2G, Nathan Dushman, yuany...@gmail.com
I'm pretty sure the first and second generation used different weight wools (first gen was a bit thicker).

--
Typed on an annoyingly small keyboard.

---

impunity

Dec 20, 2016, 10:12:24 PM12/20/16
to SF2G, d...@dgolds.com, n...@abtech.org, yuany...@gmail.com, r...@moocat.org
Yuanyu - good plan, it's time for new socks.

If it were me, I'd of course go Benevolent Dictator and not solicit any input from anyone, and also make up a new slogan, which people will be forced to implicitly endorse while they ride, and which you can snicker at.

but if you insist on taking input from the hoi polloi, I suggest black & white 5" cuff. black & white matches everything, which matters when you're getting dressed in the dark. sock guy has some kind of "technical" fabric I like with different textures in different foot areas.

Zak Jarvis

Dec 20, 2016, 10:29:09 PM12/20/16
to SF2G
I'd like socks.

Black would be nice.

Also, they should fit me.

(not a picky sock guy)

Peter Chang

Dec 21, 2016, 12:53:12 PM12/21/16
to SF2G

Le mardi 20 décembre 2016 19:12:24 UTC-8, impunity a écrit :

but if you insist on taking input from the hoi polloi, I suggest black & white 5" cuff.

you can recognize them because they use hoi polloi but incorrectly ;-)

from previous orders, i think the lighter colors (pink, for me) got dingy so it's a grey-ish pink. this is coming from someone who doesn't sort lights/darks/etc so apply salt as necessary. when in doubt; how much more black could it be? none... none more black.

sock guy has some kind of "technical" fabric I like with different textures in different foot areas.

they even have different weights/blends for wool based on the first gen sf2g vs every other wool from sock guy i have.

\p

Georgia Andrews

Dec 21, 2016, 2:20:59 PM12/21/16
to Peter Chang, SF2G
Throwing in another vote for shorter height, 5" gets scrunched up on my calves which is not a good look. Also all wool all the time.

---

-~-~-~-~-

Marcelo Vanzin

Dec 21, 2016, 3:35:59 PM12/21/16
to SF2G
+1 for shorter. I'd get some of those. I'll probably skip if it's the same length as the last batch.

Yuanyu Chen

Jan 20, 2017, 5:26:37 PM1/20/17
to van...@cloudera.com, SF2G
update for those curious: the back & forth on proofs is happening, and 3/4 are done. order forms coming once I get all the proofs and quotes so I can give approximately accurate prices (I think prices are on par with the last round).

Also, Merino wool is no longer an option, sorry Cordelia :(

---

Christine Ryan

Jan 20, 2017, 6:02:42 PM1/20/17
to Yuanyu Chen, Marcelo Vanzin, SF2G
(Not sure, but that might have been why we didn't go with wool last time...)

---