[OT] Mount Umunhum opening 18-Sep

Beckett Madden-Woods

Aug 31, 2017, 3:49:52 PM8/31/17
to SF2G
Since the road and summit will be open to bikes starting on Monday the 18th, I'm contemplating a bike ride of some sort.

But since out-n-backs are kinda lame, I'm soliciting advice on a mixed terrain loop, something like this (CCW) perhaps:

I've read all the blog posts and such, so I'm led to understand that there are portions of that require some... erm, selective reading of signposts. Any reason to think that this would otherwise be a terrible idea?

sign.jpg

Ryan Minobe

Aug 31, 2017, 5:00:58 PM8/31/17
to SF2G
I'm pretty excited about this, do you know from which approach the summit is officially accessible from?

I had ridden about 3/4 of the way up from the Hick's road side before acknowledging the no trespassing warnings and turning back around.  From what I can remember, the steep part of Hicks and Mt Umunhum road combo was probably the most difficult climbing I have ever done, but that was back when I had a 25 in the back and hadn't done anything too comparable.  Can't wait to get to the top.

Per the direction of your route, I do remember the decent down Umunhum Road being pretty brutal due to the road condition.  Although seemingly more painful going up in the clockwise direction, is that something you would even consider?

Yuanyu Chen

Aug 31, 2017, 5:16:18 PM8/31/17
to rmi...@gmail.com, SF2G
It's somewhat in the right area, but I have no idea if it makes sense to add to your ride... you could tack on dirt summit rd and ride it as an FU to the man: http://blog.sfgate.com/bicycle/2016/03/22/road-thieves-of-the-santa-cruz-mountains/ (where "the man" in this case = nimbys who keep the signs up)

---

Beckett Madden-Woods

Aug 31, 2017, 5:29:07 PM8/31/17
to rmi...@gmail.com, SF2G
The road will be officially open from Hicks up to the summit. It's seems likely that it's been repaved as part of the opening.

Clockwise is fine that direction up to the summit if just turning around, but I'm guessing there's less plausible deniability going SE on Um-LP Road vs. going NW.

Beckett Madden-Woods

Sep 19, 2017, 11:39:46 AM9/19/17
to rmi...@gmail.com, SF2G
Ride report!

I rode up Mount Umunhum yesterday for the Grand Opening Day. I left the trespassing for some other day, so just up to the summit via the newly legal road.

The road has been fully repaved from the Hicks Road intersection, and the newly renovated summit area is very very cool. Note there's no potable water anywhere on the climb. The climb itself packs a punch... via Hicks Road, it's 5.0 contiguous miles *averaging* 10% with only the briefest of places with let-up. Kicks up to ~18% in numerous places. Descent is a brake cooker, especially on Hicks Road which does not have the benefit of fresh asphalt.

The new hiking trail (from the Bald Mountain trailhead) is bike-legal except for the last 0.2 miles at the top. Would be fun to come back to do that, maybe link up with some of the Sierra Azul bike-legal dirt.

Peter Colijn

Sep 19, 2017, 1:25:28 PM9/19/17
to Beckett Madden-Woods, rmi...@gmail.com, SF2G
Cool! So when are we doing umunhum-way?