ot: ah corrupt politics

Darrin Ward

Feb 27, 2015, 12:49:15 PM2/27/15
to SF2G

Ken MacInnis

Feb 27, 2015, 1:13:28 PM2/27/15
to dmw...@gmail.com, SF2G
+1. This is what I posted to an urban studies group I participate in:

This makes me angry. If the Mayor has the power to cut an issue because of one NIMBY, how do we make progress?

New York is already better for the elderly. If you want them to be safe, give them efficiently, reliable trains and taxis, not cars. Copenhagen bike traffic in no way is 'threatening'.

His statements aren't even particularly well-worded or politically savvy. It's like watching a drunken child attack a birthday piñata full of cash.

---

Lina Mårtensson

Feb 27, 2015, 1:18:09 PM2/27/15
to Ken MacInnis, Darrin Ward, SF2G
"Hiura said he felt endangered by the bike traffic when he visited Copenhagen, Denmark, where a broad range of residents — including the elderly — get around on raised bike lanes and traffic-calmed streets that criss-cross the city."

Really???

But he doesn't feel endangered by car traffic?

Maybe we can do a fundraiser for LASIK for Ed Lee.

Elliot Schwartz

Feb 27, 2015, 1:26:31 PM2/27/15
to Darrin Ward, SF2G
In fairness, the PDF shows that the request is signed by 15 merchants on the block.
On the other hand, in the past Folks on Polk has gone to some merchants allegedly opposing plans, and found out they had no idea their name was being used.
And this project was vetted vetted and vetted and many public meetings including one with a "final design".
And 15 merchants shouldn't be able to decide who gets to travel safely.

Scott Crosby

Feb 27, 2015, 1:29:47 PM2/27/15
to Elliot Schwartz, Darrin Ward, SF2G
"feckless" just sums up Lee to me. or maybe "milquetoast."

Kurt Wallace Martin

Feb 27, 2015, 1:55:28 PM2/27/15
to Scott Crosby, SF2G, Elliot Schwartz, Darrin Ward
And Lee pretty much admitted that one merchant comment = a reduction in safety in his book.
Not exactly a sterling commitment to Vision Zero, or even Vision Two Dozen.

Lina Mårtensson

Feb 27, 2015, 1:57:42 PM2/27/15
to Kurt Wallace, Scott Crosby, SF2G, Elliot Schwartz, Darrin Ward
Vision Zero Optometrists Complaining?

djconnel

Feb 27, 2015, 2:49:30 PM2/27/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Lee wants "balance", just like 1/3 of the voters on measure L last fall.

I love the argument the golden parking place is needed for "elderly patients". Brilliant. And what fraction of the time I'd that spot available for these patients? The elderly/disabled card is what killed restricting vehicle access on JFK on Saturdays. Granny with her walker has no problem crossing that street.

The man is a buffoon who won't let facts get in the way of a good argument. Hopefully Noah calls him out and SFBC doesn't repeat their horrible 2011 endorsement.

John Murphy

Feb 27, 2015, 4:55:46 PM2/27/15
to djco...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
The optometrist misspelled "parking for me while I work" when he wrote "parking for my elderly patients"

Hmm elderly folks with eyesight issues driving cars. That doesn't scare him?

John Murphy - ta...@murphstahoe.com

Darrin Ward

Feb 27, 2015, 5:27:44 PM2/27/15
to John Murphy, djco...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
i wrote to ed lee and scott weiner.

i might just have to show up at the meeting tuesday at 3pm.

David Goldsmith

Feb 27, 2015, 6:29:19 PM2/27/15
to ta...@murphstahoe.com, djco...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
Did anyone notice the 2nd picture in the StreetsBlog story Darrin to
which Darrin posted a link!

It's the back of the FOUR STORY, 129 SPACE PARKING GARAGE on Bush and
Polk, which is a block away from Drs. Hiura and Hiura. You'd think that
would be enough parking without the 10-15 spaces they're talking about
removing.

Polk Street has been such a shitty retail strip for so long you'd think
the merchants there would try for anything to improve it. You'd think
they'd be falling all over themselves to make it a destination for
pedestrians, anything to change the energy there. My second apartment in
San Francisco was in that neighborhood, a long time ago. Polk Street
started going downhill then and it has sucked ever since.

They've studied this thing half to death; has anyone come out with a
study about how changing the streetscape on Polk might actually improve
economic conditions there?

David

David Kardatzke

Feb 27, 2015, 8:50:55 PM2/27/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com

The mayor was amazingly clear

We shouldn’t promote bicycle safety over pedestrian safety over cars and parking.

So cars and parking are as important as safety and he later says basically that he is fine with delaying everything and staying with the current death and injury rate is there is any conflict.

He has been terrible from the first chance he had after becoming mayor when he delayed the Cesar Chavez project.

Nathan Dushman

Mar 3, 2015, 2:51:58 PM3/3/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Reminder for anyone who might be able to attend, the meeting for approval of the Polk St redesign by the SFMTA Board is today, March 3, "no earlier than 3pm."
I still can't tell how much showing up at board meetings matters - if it does, it's a lousy way to do policy - but it would be worth speaking up if you're able to go.

Nathan

Peter Colijn

Mar 3, 2015, 2:56:01 PM3/3/15
to Nathan Dushman, SF2G
I hate how these things are always mid day, mid week. So of course it's totally skewed to retirees and other 'get off my lawn' types :(