OT: bike shop recommendations in San Mateo/Menlo area?

Christine Ryan

Jul 10, 2014, 4:12:22 PM7/10/14
to SF2G
One of my coworkers wants to buy a starter/commuter bike--she's a starter editor too, so money's super tight. I'm encouraging her to buy something at a local bike shop, so she'll have easy access to help/service etc, but that means steering her to the *right* bike shop... a place that'll look out for her and understand her budget restrictions. Anyone have any good experiences in San Mateo (where she lives) or MP (where she works)?

(And if anyone has any thoughts on an actual bike, so much the better. I'd've recommended a Jamis, based on my experience, but the closest dealers are the various Sports Basements...ie, not so close!)

Thanks!

Nathan Dushman

Jul 10, 2014, 5:00:53 PM7/10/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com
The guys at Menlo Velo were nice to me the few times I went in there. Not sure it will be cheap, but they might have a discounted demo or older model. When I was shopping for a bike a few years ago, they had a full-carbon Specialized like that (lightly-used, older, and in a funny color). Also worth asking at Mike's Bikes in Palo Alto. Best bet will be a used bike, though.

There's no way to recommend a particular brand or bike here - the key thing will be whether it fits her and her budget.

Marion Silies

Jul 10, 2014, 5:03:01 PM7/10/14
to Nathan Dushman, SF2G
I second both of these. Menlo Velo is the place I went to when I lived down here and they are really good guys, not too expensive in my opinion.

Christine Ryan

Jul 10, 2014, 5:03:13 PM7/10/14
to Nathan Dushman, SF2G
Yeah--I was thinking used, but that opened that whole stolen-bike can of worms... still, does make the most sense, financially. I guess as long as she doesn't answer sketchy-sounding Craigslist ads...

---

Christine Ryan

Jul 10, 2014, 5:05:09 PM7/10/14
to Marion Silies, Nathan Dushman, SF2G
Thanks! (I also realize that when I first read your email, Nathan, I was picturing Velotech, over near Whole Foods in PA, not Menlo Velo... which is on Camino, iirc...)

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 2:02 PM, Marion Silies <masi...@gmail.com> wrote:
I second both of these. Menlo Velo is the place I went to when I lived down here and they are really good guys, not too expensive in my opinion.

Jason Thorpe

Jul 10, 2014, 5:05:35 PM7/10/14
to masi...@gmail.com, Nathan Dushman, SF2G

> On Jul 10, 2014, at 2:02 PM, Marion Silies <masi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I second both of these. Menlo Velo is the place I went to when I lived down here and they are really good guys, not too expensive in my opinion.

Another +1 for Menlo Velo… I don’t have direct experience with them, but everything I’ve heard from friends who do has been positive.

-- thorpej

Patrick Lea

Jul 10, 2014, 5:16:01 PM7/10/14
to tho...@me.com, masi...@gmail.com, Nathan Dushman, SF2G
My co-worker uses Menlo Velo, although he gets a discount through Stanford Racing Team, but has good things to say about them. I have been to Palo Alto Bicycles for a repair and prices seemed marked up about as expected for parts and labor, but I might have added on the Palo Alto premium in my head. In Palo Alto you could also try the Campus Bike Shop, it is actually on Stanford Campus and I think specializes in budget minded bikes as I called looking for 105 or Ultegra parts without luck but they had Tiagra, but I don't know the price compares.

Patrick

Christine Ryan

Jul 10, 2014, 5:20:54 PM7/10/14
to patri...@gmail.com, Jason Thorpe, Marion Silies, Nathan Dushman, SF2G
Thanks!

Dumb question time: do bike shops ever sell used bikes? Apart from the whole hot-bikes problem, another problem w/ CL is that I don't think she'd know what to look for in the way of damage or about-to-wear-out bits and pieces...

Peter Chang

Jul 10, 2014, 5:28:09 PM7/10/14
to SF2G

> Dumb question time: do bike shops ever sell used bikes?

the campus bike shop used to be mostly used bikes (last year's
students sell their old bikes back and this year's students buy them).

rich (the mechanic) at menlo velo is a good guy. the owner (whose name
i forget) was sort of a tool, but it's been a while since i lived on
middle (a block away) and they were my shop of choice.

\p

Christine Ryan

Jul 10, 2014, 5:31:05 PM7/10/14
to Peter Chang, SF2G
thanks for the tip, Peter! I'll suggest she check that out, since the school year's (recently) over...