OT: F*ck Congress ...

David Goldsmith

Dec 21, 2017, 4:11:38 AM12/21/17
to SF2G
... which threw this goodie into the new tax law:

SEC. 11047. SUSPENSION OF EXCLUSION FOR QUALIFIED BICYCLE COMMUTING
REIMBURSEMENT.

(a) In General.—Section 132(f) is amended by adding at the end the
following new paragraph:
“(8) SUSPENSION OF QUALIFIED BICYCLE COMMUTING REIMBURSEMENT
EXCLUSION.—Paragraph (1)(D) shall not apply to any taxable year
beginning after December 31, 2017, and before January 1, 2026.”.

(b) Effective Date.—The amendment made by this section shall apply to
taxable years beginning after December 31, 2017.

Dave Blizard

Dec 21, 2017, 10:41:15 AM12/21/17
to d...@dgolds.com, SF2G
Saddens my heart. Although no employer in my entire working history has ever provided me with any bike commuting incentives. Maybe that says something even more. :(

---
Dave Blizard

Darrin Ward

Dec 21, 2017, 10:50:18 AM12/21/17
to Dave Blizard, d...@dgolds.com, SF2G
i mean this is a biking list but that is not even close to the worst part of the bill.

the end of affordable care act (by getting rid of the mandate) is terrible.
the limiting of salt (state and local tax deductions) is terrible for people in calif and other high tax states.
the lowering of corporate tax from 35% to 21% which dramatically increases the debt is terrible (it puts pressure on the dollar which would make money worth less).
the increased standard deduction means people will probably donate less money to charity or do bunching which is hard for charities to plan around.

the tax bill also incentives you to become a contractor instead of a company employee which in my mind is also bad.  if i am a contractor and i run my contracting as a business i would pay significantly less taxes then a full time employee.

could keep going on and on and on.

darrin

Dave Blizard

---

John Murphy

Dec 21, 2017, 2:13:30 PM12/21/17
to sf...@googlegroups.com
makes the whole thing even more clearly just a "stick it to" situation - "screw bikes".
The total amount of tax dollars lost to this provision, given that many people who would use it can't even take advantage of it, has to be vanishingly small.  The paper that this is printed on and the money spent revoking it is probably more than was actually being saved by taxpayers - removing this benefit probably cost taxpayers.

Peter Colijn

Dec 21, 2017, 3:16:48 PM12/21/17
to murphstahoe, SF2G
I never got to claim any bike commuting benefits and I'm at AMT this year so I guess I never will.

The whole thing does, indeed, stink :(

--
---
Dave Blizard

--
---

---

Darrin Ward

Dec 21, 2017, 3:49:57 PM12/21/17
to Peter Colijn, murphstahoe, SF2G
https://www.redtoblueca.org/
i would love to see the idiot nunes go but i would settle for flipping the other less red parts of ca.

issa is particularly vulnerable which is why he voted against the tax "reform" but would still love to see him go (you know the end of net neutrality is terrible)
i gave money to his challenger doug applegate and doug jones at the same time.

the republicans in congress do not care about california so i happy to give money to their competitors.

would be nice to get rid of mimi walters.  katie porter can hopefully do that.

i also never got to claim bike commuting so you know it wasnt the top thing on my mind.

Peter Chang

Dec 21, 2017, 6:58:22 PM12/21/17
to SF2G

Le jeudi 21 décembre 2017 12:16:48 UTC-8, Peter Colijn a écrit :
I never got to claim any bike commuting benefits and I'm at AMT this year so I guess I never will.

i tried (once), but it was non-trivial. IANA(T)L so i couldn't tell if i was trying right so stopped.

\p