OT: Levi's house destroyed

Andrew Stadler

Oct 12, 2017, 3:19:35 PM10/12/17
to SF2G

John Murphy

Oct 12, 2017, 4:04:18 PM10/12/17
to sf...@googlegroups.com
"It's complicated"

He lives in Healdsburg now, already, after his divorce, I see him multiple times per week.

Unfortunately for him he must still own at least a chunk of the Riebli property. No matter what, somebody did.

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017, at 12:19 PM, Andrew Stadler wrote:

--
---

Dave Borowitz

Oct 12, 2017, 4:05:35 PM10/12/17
to sta...@gmail.com, SF2G
How nice of them to kick him while he's down by tacking on a paragraph about his doping suspension at the end of the article.

katie evans

Oct 12, 2017, 4:23:47 PM10/12/17
to SF2G
yeah, really sad. didn't know he got divorced.

how are you doing, murph? is your house and family safe?

Darrin Ward

Oct 12, 2017, 4:38:25 PM10/12/17
to turbo...@gmail.com, SF2G
murph is sort of half way between the tubbs fire and pocket fire.

healdsburg is under an advisory evacuation as of 1pm
healdsburg though is not immediately threatened.  its still got another 5-10 miles on either side.

John Murphy

Oct 12, 2017, 4:40:27 PM10/12/17
to sf...@googlegroups.com
It's been a trying week that's for sure. Home is fine and not really near any fire. We did 2 nights in Oakland and will be in Palo Alto for a couple more. We left because frankly we had no idea where any fires were - no cell/TV/internet, just an AM radio focused on what burned, not what might burn. Now that we're here all going back would do is add traffic.

12 AM I went to bed heard something about a fire.

5 AM - wife wakes me up, the neighbor has called, her phone "is broken". We fiddle with phones for 3-4 minutes, both calls and wireless. "I groggily say Cell and internet are down, I think there are fires". She tells me to go to neighbor.

5:15 AM - neighbor has an impromptu evac center for his extended family - mostly from Larkfield or Coffey, who are scattered around the couches. AM radio is playing with ominous stuff. I am slowly coming awake, basically realizing there are indeed fires and we aren't in immediate threat but some bad things are going on.

6 AM - wife tells me to go fill the car up with gas. I get to Nature's Market, there is a huge line. I decide to try Rotten Robbie since it's not by the freeway, also jammed. End up at the gas station at HBG ave/Dry Creek, takes me 20 minutes. Valero also jammed. There are several cars and RV's parked under the freeway at Dry Creek. The gas lines were primarily evacuees headed in the direction of Ukiah to family - I learned that a lot of the people under the freeway pretty much had not enough gas to get to family but no money or credit cards to pay for more gas - either because they had not enough time to find their wallet or were unbanked and had no cash.

7 AM - get home, vainly trying to get any useful info, only the AM radio is going and they are focused on real problem areas. Cannot get a text to family, run around the hill waving the phone does little. Jill makes breakfast and I silently pack a back "just in case"

7:30 (?) Jill says "should we just go?" I say "I'm already packed and I really want to get the hell out of here honestly. We can't do anything except maybe become evacuees"

9 - we finish packing and leave. Decide to head to oakland via Hopland - "I do not want to go near any fires and US 101 is closed".

9:45 - Cloverdale. Phones go crazy with texts now we have cell service. Call family and indicate to the world we are safe. We get the the first notification that a friend's home is burned. It won't be the last :(

4 PM - Oakland. I go out to get food and see the first video of the fire. My shellshock goes into overdrive.

katie evans

Oct 12, 2017, 8:27:23 PM10/12/17
to SF2G
so scary, glad you and your family are ok. praying this fire gets contained soon!