OT: Crank Bros rebuild kits

Ken MacInnis

Nov 13, 2016, 5:55:03 PM11/13/16
to SF2G
I picked up two of the rebuild kits for my Crank Bros pedals (Eggbeater 3, Candy 2) after someone mentioned them on the list last week. Neither set was feeling bad, but they've got enough miles on them to do some preventative maintenance.

Some notes on the install and results:

- The EB3 internals used a needle bearing at one end, and the kit replaces that with a nylon glide 'bearing'. Since it's at the crank end, as long as it keeps things aligned, I doubt it'll be material effort-wise. The C2 already had this since I was a cheap mofo (and I can't say I've noticed). If you have the higher-quality models you may skip this step if your needle bearing is in good shape and you prefer it, but hang on to the glide bearing for later.

- Both pedals need the glide bearings seated ABSOLUTELY fully or the pedal will bind. Ask me how I figured that out. Using the correct (indicated) metric socket to seat them works well, and you'll damage the bearing if you try using anything dissimilar, so make sure you have a socket set (8, 10, 14mm) before doing this. You'll need a T25 bit for the platform-y models, like the Candy, as well.

- The internal Candy seals crumbled when I pried them out. The plastic seems to have dried out, but again, not material since it's mostly just retaining an O-ring and aligning a flush axle when assembled.

- Insert the O-rings in BEFORE the retaining seals. I mistakenly put the O-rings ON the retainers the first time around, and shredded one, not to mention that the pedal was super-bound this way.

Everything seems much less free, but not bound. I'm hoping things loosen up a bit as pieces seat and settle. Will report back after a first good ride in the AM if anyone cares.

Ken

--
Ken MacInnis - kcm at clueful dot org - http://www.clueful.org/

Peter Chang

Nov 13, 2016, 9:09:39 PM11/13/16
to SF2G

Le dimanche 13 novembre 2016 14:55:03 UTC-8, Ken M a écrit :

- The EB3 internals used a needle bearing at one end, and the kit replaces that with a nylon glide 'bearing'.

really? i thought that the plastic bushing was the old way, and that the new ones (at least >= stainless versions) all had the needle bearings?

this reminds me that it's about time to redo my pedals.

\p

Ken MacInnis

Nov 14, 2016, 10:10:55 AM11/14/16
to d...@google.com, SF2G
Nope. Here's a good breakdown of the changes (this is the Igus LL-Glide "bearing"/bushing):

http://www.cxmagazine.com/crankbrothers-new-candy-7-11-bearings-seals-cyclocross-pedals-traction-pad
---