Wed May 25 Watershed Way

ammon

May 22, 2016, 7:35:36 PM5/22/16
to SF2G

This Wednesday at 0800 I'm leading another commute through the SF watershed. 15 rider cap, email +1s to get on the list. So far we have Peter C, Josh G, and Alex P.

Meet: 0755 Portola Gate so we can enter at 8 (the earliest we’re allowed in). This is the locked gate at the southernmost part of the GGNRA Sweeney Ridge site. Getting there is up to you. Callanated Skyline is the way most folks took last time (flyby: http://goo.gl/aGDSX3). Bart from San Bruno is another option: just take Sneath Ln all the way to the end. Leaving with extra time for mechanicals makes Sweeney Meadow loops an option beforehand. Sweeney Ridge itself, starting at the end of Sneath, is the largest climb. It’s paved and when you reach the restroom at the top, take the fireroard to the left straight to Portola Gate.

Equipment: CX is ideal. Hardtail mountain bike would also work. Road bikes aren’t good here due to some gravelly, steep climbs & descents. Terrain is 8-10 foot dirt service road along Fifield-Cahill ridge with amazing views and no other trail users. No water on the trail but there’s plenty of restrooms: one every couple miles.

Style: NRLB. Periodic regroups at vistas & intersections. Since we all have to leave as a group, allow extra buffer time in planning. Last ride we exited the watershed at Cemetery Gate at 9am.

After: We pop out at 92 and Skyline. The group then splits with some descending 92 to Cañada and some continuing to climb up Skyline to Kings.

Ammon

Peter Colijn

May 22, 2016, 7:38:54 PM5/22/16
to ammon skidmore, SF2G
Re-iterating my +1! Thanks Ammon, these rides are awesome!

---

Alexandre Passos

May 22, 2016, 7:52:30 PM5/22/16
to Peter Colijn, ammon skidmore, SF2G
+1! Will roll 6:20 from ritual and do callan. I'll take cañada after the watershed.
--
 - Alexandre

Cordelia Link

May 22, 2016, 7:59:16 PM5/22/16
to SF2G, skidp...@gmail.com
+1!

Yvonne Yip

May 23, 2016, 12:30:59 AM5/23/16
to cordel...@gmail.com, SF2G, skidp...@gmail.com
+1

Andy Wiggin

May 23, 2016, 12:33:20 AM5/23/16
to SF2G
+1! My great grandparents had a sheep ranch on land that's now in the watershed, and I've always wanted to see the area. Thanks so much for doing this.

I'm not sure how I'll get there, probably ride from San Carlos, but maybe Caltrain 103 or 305 (seems like the 309 would be cutting it too close?) to Milbrae. I'd be happy to meet up with anyone else heading north to the start.

Jeff Bruchez

May 23, 2016, 12:54:42 AM5/23/16
to SF2G
Yuuuuup (+1)... I'll have my porky bike on a slight diet from last time, or so I hope. Riding from SF, or BARTing to SB, PeterC, what're your thinking?

Scott Johnston

May 23, 2016, 1:00:11 PM5/23/16
to SF2G
+1, though I've been on the first two watershed rides and happy to give the spot to someone who hasn't.

Ted Ketai

May 23, 2016, 4:37:14 PM5/23/16
to Scott Johnston, SF2G
+1 but like Scott I'll give up my spot if somebody who hasn't done it before wants to go.

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 10:00 AM, Scott Johnston <wamp...@gmail.com> wrote:
+1, though I've been on the first two watershed rides and happy to give the spot to someone who hasn't.

Brooks Sizemore

May 23, 2016, 10:40:13 PM5/23/16
to Ammon Skidmore, SF2G

+1

Ted Ketai

May 24, 2016, 2:03:13 PM5/24/16
to Brooks Sizemore, Ammon Skidmore, SF2G
Anybody want to do a 6:15RRR?

Alexandre Passos

May 24, 2016, 2:05:15 PM5/24/16
to Ted Ketai, Brooks Sizemore, Ammon Skidmore, SF2G
I'm down for 6:15. Chill pace until the gate.
 - Alexandre

Peter Colijn

May 24, 2016, 2:06:20 PM5/24/16
to Alexandre Passos, Ted Ketai, Brooks Sizemore, Ammon Skidmore, SF2G
Ok I'll see you 0625 alemanyell.

Cordelia Link

May 24, 2016, 2:07:10 PM5/24/16
to Peter Colijn, Alexandre Passos, Ted Ketai, Brooks Sizemore, Ammon Skidmore, SF2G
I'll be at either ritual or alemanyell

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "SF2G" group.

Matthew Hiller

May 24, 2016, 9:25:43 PM5/24/16
to SF2G, caff...@colijn.ca, alexan...@gmail.com, tke...@gmail.com, brooks....@gmail.com, skidp...@gmail.com, cordel...@gmail.com
Oh, possible +1 on the rollout, just staying with the group until Hillside/E Market to get to Guadalupe Canyon.

I may just roll out hella early tomorrow and do my thing solo, though. We'll see how my morning goes.

Devon Proctor

May 24, 2016, 11:41:36 PM5/24/16
to Matthew Hiller, SF2G, Peter Colijn, Alexandre Passos, Ted Ketai, brooks....@gmail.com, ammon skidmore, cordel...@gmail.com
+1 from ritual (assuming I can count and there's still space)

ammon skidmore

May 25, 2016, 12:50:46 AM5/25/16
to Devon Proctor, Matthew Hiller, SF2G, Peter Colijn, Alexandre Passos, Ted Ketai, brooks....@gmail.com, cordel...@gmail.com
Still space. 11 riders now. See you all tomorrow!
Ammon

Devon Proctor

May 25, 2016, 2:09:05 AM5/25/16
to ammon skidmore, Matthew Hiller, SF2G, Peter Colijn, Alexandre Passos, Ted Ketai, brooks....@gmail.com, cordel...@gmail.com

Actually, I'll intercept at San Jose and Randall.

I'm planning on bringing my full suspension mtb and riding skeggs on the way down, in case anyone else doesn't have anything to do in the morning and would like to join.

Yvonne Yip

May 25, 2016, 11:40:48 AM5/25/16
to devon....@gmail.com, ammon skidmore, Matthew Hiller, SF2G, Peter Colijn, Alexandre Passos, Ted Ketai, brooks....@gmail.com, cordel...@gmail.com
Sorry for bailing this morning. I got home super late from a flight and overslept :(

Jeff Bruchez

May 25, 2016, 2:52:36 PM5/25/16
to SF2G, skidp...@gmail.com
Thanks heaps for the lead Ammon! Although the sights were limited by our buddy Karl the trails were in ideal shape.

</jeff>
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sf2g+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

---

ammon skidmore

May 25, 2016, 3:55:15 PM5/25/16
to Yvonne Yip, devon....@gmail.com, Matthew Hiller, SF2G, Peter Colijn, Alexandre Passos, Ted Ketai, brooks....@gmail.com, cordel...@gmail.com
Bummer! Next watershed ride will be sometime in September since I'll be away for awhile. Karl likes to go on vacation then, so hopefully we'll get lucky with the views.
Ammon