A non cyclist death

David Kardatzke

Mar 4, 2015, 8:15:51 PM3/4/15
to SF2G (sf2g@googlegroups.com)

So, this is not a cyclist but the police are claiming the person they killed was trying to steal a bike from a bicyclist on foot for long enough for them to get on the scene and shoot him (6 times) but evidently not long enough for the cyclist to hop on his bike and ride away. The other story is the ‘cyclist’ stole the dead 21 year old’s cell phone and he was trying to recover it. It seems this happened right by Phil’s coffee. Based on my experience living in the neighborhood since 1998 I would have to say I believe the second story and not the police story although I believe the police understand the neighborhood and residents poorly enough that they think their story is plausible.

http://missionlocal.org/2015/03/at-vigil-on-folsom-st-sharply-different-account-of-police-shooting/

Eric Altendorf

Mar 4, 2015, 8:43:07 PM3/4/15
to David Kardatzke, SF2G (sf2g@googlegroups.com)
I am having trouble figuring who is who in your variants of the story (you refer to both parties as "cyclist") but as best I can tell, you're supporting the story that Lopez had his phone stolen, the phone-thief took off on a bike, and then Lopez went in to his house to get a knife, and went back outside -- evidently fast enough that he could chase the guy who took off on the bike already?  That one sounds just as (if not more) dubious to me.... and they both apparently have witness support.  Hard for any of us to make a call.

In any case, if you're wielding a weapon, and a bunch of police start yelling at you, the smart thing to do (whether you speak English and understand what they're saying or not) is probably to put down the weapon.........

When I lived in that hood I was actually pretty impressed by the beat police who just hung out, walking around, talking to people, keeping in touch....

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 5:15 PM, David Kardatzke <Dkard...@intermune.com> wrote:

So, this is not a cyclist but the police are claiming the person they killed was trying to steal a bike from a bicyclist on foot for long enough for them to get on the scene and shoot him (6 times) but evidently not long enough for the cyclist to hop on his bike and ride away. The other story is the ‘cyclist’ stole the dead 21 year old’s cell phone and he was trying to recover it. It seems this happened right by Phil’s coffee. Based on my experience living in the neighborhood since 1998 I would have to say I believe the second story and not the police story although I believe the police understand the neighborhood and residents poorly enough that they think their story is plausible.

http://missionlocal.org/2015/03/at-vigil-on-folsom-st-sharply-different-account-of-police-shooting/

---

Dave Blizard

Mar 4, 2015, 10:37:52 PM3/4/15
to erical...@gmail.com, David Kardatzke, SF2G (sf2g@googlegroups.com)
Sad story. Sounds like someone who came to this country and was working many hours but couldn't speak english was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Having a knife in hand certainly could have been the deciding factor.  Hate to hear about this stuff especially if it turns out that the guy was just trying to get his cellphone back

Dave Blizard  ||  CG Supervisor Sledgehammer Games  ||  web: daveblizard  ||  twitter: blizzzz