Wed 5/6 0800 Portola Gate watershed way

ammon

May 3, 2015, 3:38:55 PM5/3/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com

This Wednesday I'm leading another commute through the watershed. We're capped at 15 riders, so priority goes to those not on the last ride. Feel free to +1 even if you were on the last ride -- if there's not enough room you'll get a spot on the ride after this.

Meet: 7:50am Portola Gate. This is the locked gate at the southernmost part of the GGNRA Sweeney Ridge site. Getting there is up to you. Callanated Skyline is the way most folks took last time. Flyby: http://goo.gl/aGDSX3. Bart from San Bruno up Sneath Ln is another option. We enter Portola Gate at 8am sharp so please arrive before then. Last ride I did a couple Sweeney Meadow loops nearby beforehand.

Equipment: CX is ideal. Hardtail mountain bike would also work. Road bikes aren’t much fun here due to some gravelly & steep climbs & descents. Most of the climbing is before the ride up Sweeney ridge. Terrain is 8-10 foot dirt service road along Fifield-Cahill ridge with amazing views and no other trail users. Along the ridge there is gravel and short climbs, a few @20%.

Style: NRLB. Periodic regroups at vistas & intersections. Since we all have to leave as a group, allow extra buffer time in planning. Last ride we exited the watershed at Cemetery Gate at 9am.

Ammon

Christine Ryan

May 3, 2015, 3:40:43 PM5/3/15
to skidp...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
+1!
---

Scott Johnston

May 3, 2015, 4:15:10 PM5/3/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com, skidp...@gmail.com
+1
(but I went last time)

-Scott
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sf2g+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Patrick Kitto

May 3, 2015, 4:45:54 PM5/3/15
to Scott Johnston, sf...@googlegroups.com, ammon skidmore
+1

+1!

---

Chris Merrill

May 3, 2015, 4:47:24 PM5/3/15
to patric...@gmail.com, Scott Johnston, sf...@googlegroups.com, ammon skidmore
+1

Peter Colijn

May 4, 2015, 2:39:25 AM5/4/15
to Chris Merrill, Patrick Kitto, Scott Johnston, SF2G, ammon skidmore
+1 but I went last time, so happy to give up my spot

Jeff Bruchez

May 4, 2015, 2:18:08 PM5/4/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1 on a monstercross. I'm coming from the East Bay so I'll likely ride from San Bruno BART.

Zack Reinhardt

May 4, 2015, 2:47:10 PM5/4/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
+1 also riding from San Bruno BART

ammon

May 5, 2015, 1:58:06 PM5/5/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Last call for +1s -- gotta submit the names to the water district soon. Plenty of room since only 7 going so far.

Ammon

Lina Mårtensson

May 5, 2015, 2:00:00 PM5/5/15
to ammon skidmore, SF2G
+1

sure why not! :)

R Samuel Klatchko

May 5, 2015, 2:03:10 PM5/5/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com, skidp...@gmail.com
+1

Beckett Madden-Woods

May 5, 2015, 2:21:21 PM5/5/15
to R. Samuel Klatchko, SF2G, ammon skidmore
+1! :)
But, I went last time. :(
But! It'll be my b-day, so you can pretend I didn't. :)

Aaron Nathan

May 5, 2015, 3:16:49 PM5/5/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com, skidp...@gmail.com, r.samuel...@gmail.com
+1

Scott Johnston

May 5, 2015, 3:17:34 PM5/5/15
to Beckett Madden-Woods, R. Samuel Klatchko, SF2G, ammon skidmore, Lina Mårtensson, Peter Colijn, Christopher Merrill, Patrick Kitto
RRR anyone? Last time we left at 6:15, had a flat, chilled at the top of Sneath for a while, and still made it to the gate at ~7:45, so I'd say maybe 6:25 this time?

-Scott

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "SF2G" group.

Ali Raizin

May 5, 2015, 3:31:09 PM5/5/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com, jo...@stanford.edu, caff...@colijn.ca, r.samuel...@gmail.com, bec...@beckettmw.com, skidp...@gmail.com, ch...@notspelledright.com, patric...@gmail.com, lina.ma...@gmail.com
+1!

Ryan Minobe

May 5, 2015, 3:50:20 PM5/5/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com, r.samuel...@gmail.com, caff...@colijn.ca, bec...@beckettmw.com, ch...@notspelledright.com, jo...@stanford.edu, lina.ma...@gmail.com, skidp...@gmail.com, patric...@gmail.com
+1

steve armijo

May 5, 2015, 4:00:13 PM5/5/15
to Ryan Minobe, SF2G, R Samuel Klatchko, Peter Colijn, Beckett Madden-Woods, ch...@notspelledright.com, jo...@stanford.edu, Lina Mårtensson, ammon skidmore, Patrick Kitto
want this so bad but can't this week.  will there be more?

-s

Ammon Skidmore

May 5, 2015, 4:01:45 PM5/5/15
to steve armijo, Ryan Minobe, SF2G, R Samuel Klatchko, Peter Colijn, Beckett Madden-Woods, ch...@notspelledright.com, jo...@stanford.edu, Lina Mårtensson, Patrick Kitto
Yeah, there will be more. Every 2 weeks seems like a good working plan.

Ammon

Chris Merrill

May 5, 2015, 4:44:56 PM5/5/15
to Scott Johnston, Beckett Madden-Woods, R. Samuel Klatchko, SF2G, ammon skidmore, Lina Mårtensson, Peter Colijn, Patrick Kitto
RRR @ 6:25 sounds good to me!

~Chris

Patrick Kitto

May 5, 2015, 4:47:34 PM5/5/15
to Chris Merrill, Scott Johnston, Beckett Madden-Woods, R. Samuel Klatchko, SF2G, ammon skidmore, Lina Mårtensson, Peter Colijn
+1 to RRR at 0625.

Justin!

May 5, 2015, 5:26:00 PM5/5/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Would love to do this on Tuesday if that's a possibility! Thanks for making this happen!

Lina Mårtensson

May 5, 2015, 6:31:36 PM5/5/15
to A Roja, SF2G

-1 forgot about calendar collisions :(

On May 5, 2015 2:26 PM, "Justin!" <roja...@gmail.com> wrote:
Would love to do this on Tuesday if that's a possibility!  Thanks for making this happen!

R Samuel Klatchko

May 5, 2015, 8:23:37 PM5/5/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com, roja...@gmail.com
Dang, just got a 9:30 AM meeting invite so -1.

Happy birthday Beckett.

Peter Colijn

May 5, 2015, 9:56:58 PM5/5/15
to Patrick Kitto, Chris Merrill, Scott Johnston, Beckett Madden-Woods, R. Samuel Klatchko, SF2G, ammon skidmore, Lina Mårtensson
Are yall rolling alemany?

Scott Johnston

May 5, 2015, 10:32:17 PM5/5/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com, jo...@stanford.edu, skidp...@gmail.com, bec...@beckettmw.com, ch...@notspelledright.com, lina.ma...@gmail.com, r.samuel...@gmail.com, patric...@gmail.com
Yup, should be same routing as last time.

-Scott

Chris Merrill

May 6, 2015, 12:32:16 AM5/6/15
to lina.ma...@gmail.com, A Roja, SF2G
-1
I'm cursed :/
Maybe next time! Thanks for running this...

~Chris

Aaron Nathan

May 6, 2015, 1:40:45 AM5/6/15
to notspel...@gmail.com, Lina Mårtensson, A Roja, SF2G
-1 as well.....dont think we'll be back in sf by 10am....blimy!

-Aaron

Ryan Minobe

May 6, 2015, 12:29:59 PM5/6/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Cut a sidewall early in the ride. Was able to fix and hop fence back out successfully. Absolutely amazing out there. I will be back but will likely need to find a cx bike to borrow.

Later while rolling back out realized that my rear derailleur cable was fraying in the shifter. Not a good equipment day.

I think I'm officially done with conti gp4000's. This was basically a brand new tire and the sidewalls look terrible and I know it was not all from this ride. Last few tires I've had seemed to have a similar problems, very frayed looking fibers all the way around.

Thank you again to Ammon for leading these rides. Even from what little I saw of the area today, it really looks like a special place and I can't wait to get back.

Lina Mårtensson

May 6, 2015, 1:37:48 PM5/6/15
to Ryan Minobe, SF2G
oh interesting. i've used gp4000s for many years and they've always been awesome. i did read about a few batches having bad sidewalls though, but that was a long time ago. have your tires been from the same batch? don't know if there was a recall or anything.

Christine Ryan

May 6, 2015, 2:22:13 PM5/6/15
to rmi...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
We missed you--glad you got out okay! Our docent was worried... :)

Patrick Kitto

May 6, 2015, 2:38:58 PM5/6/15
to Christine Ryan, rmi...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
by worried you mean denying any knowledge of him having entered the watershed. Allegedly.

him: who? i dunno, i didnt see nothin.

Glad you got out ok :)

Christine Ryan

May 6, 2015, 2:45:30 PM5/6/15
to Patrick Kitto, rmi...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
Well, yeah, that too. :)

Patrick Kitto

May 6, 2015, 3:51:58 PM5/6/15
to Christine Ryan, rmi...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
we should do a style 1.5 or style 1, SRLB, watershed one of these days. chase down the KOMs.

There is no excuse for SF2G to not own that leaderboard.

Peter Colijn

May 6, 2015, 4:11:21 PM5/6/15
to Ryan Minobe, SF2G
Yikes, sorry to hear it! Glad you made it back ok.

I'm done with GP4000s too. My first experience with them, a brand spankin' new one flatted on the Marin 200k. I thought it was just a fluke but every time I tried them they sucked and flatted all the time. I think they are not really designed for the kind of abuse sf2g commutes demand (mission, tunnel, hairball, 35, 1, purisima, etc. all take their toll).

Maxence Nachury

May 6, 2015, 4:18:39 PM5/6/15
to patric...@gmail.com, Christine Ryan, rmi...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
+1 to watershed style <1.

Question is, what happens to the RLB? Lock them in the preserve?

Christine Windsor

May 6, 2015, 5:19:20 PM5/6/15
to Maxence Nachury, Patrick Kitto, Christine Ryan, rmi...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
I believe fence hopping with a bike is excellent cyclocross practice. (The season will be here before you know it!!)

Patrick Kitto

May 6, 2015, 6:40:10 PM5/6/15
to Christine Windsor, Maxence Nachury, Christine Ryan, rmi...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com

I believe fence hopping with a bike is excellent cyclocross practice. (The season will be here before you know it!!)

Alleged fence hopping.

over a bee hive.

Patrick Lea

May 6, 2015, 6:54:17 PM5/6/15
to Patrick Kitto, Christine Windsor, Maxence Nachury, Christine Ryan, rmi...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 3:40 PM, Patrick Kitto <patric...@gmail.com> wrote:
over a bee hive.

That is just motivation to clear the fence cleanly and quickly.