OT: Biking around Geneve / Switzerland

Sumeru Chatterjee

May 6, 2018, 5:38:57 PM5/6/18
to SF2G
Hi all! Wanted to ask if you've biked in Switzerland before and had any recommendations?

I'll be in Geneve for work May 21-25, then have 2-3 days with no plans. And I really want to ride

Any recommendations on:

- Must do trails / routes
- Renting bikes and equipment
- Groups where I could find fellow riders

Flexible travel plans and budget. Willing to do ~80miles + 5k ft per day.

Thanks in advance!

Alexandre Passos

May 6, 2018, 6:07:29 PM5/6/18
to Sumeru Chatterjee, Guilherme Mauro Germoglio Barbosa, Elizeu Santos-Neto, SF2G
Paging guiga and eliseu

---

Darrin Ward

May 6, 2018, 7:43:30 PM5/6/18
to Alexandre Passos, Sumeru Chatterjee, Guilherme Mauro Germoglio Barbosa, Elizeu Santos-Neto, SF2G
after having spent many weekends in zurich and flying through geneve a few times, i constantly want to go riding there.

sadly i could never find anyone to rent me a good road bike in switzerland (i do have some height issues but i had trouble even finding places that rented).  i could bring my own but its only something i would do for 4-5 days and i'm never free that much.

it was the hardest place in europe to find someone to rent me a bike.

so yes plan ahead.

Paging guiga and eliseu

---

Nathan Dushman

May 7, 2018, 12:09:13 AM5/7/18
to SF2G
I lived in Lausanne, Switzerland for a year in college and did a fair amount of cycling in the area. One of the great things about Switzerland is that the trains run almost everywhere and can take bicycles, so it's easy to bike one way and take the train the other. Always carry an extra layer - on one ride, I spent most of the afternoon climbing and was really looking forward to the corresponding descent, but by the time I got to the top it was late in the afternoon and much cooler. I quickly got so cold going downhill that I had to take the train home.

Take a look around https://www.schweizmobil.ch/en/cycling-in-switzerland/cycling-in-switzerland.html and in particular the National Routes. Switzerland has 9 well-signed national bike routes, and you can't go wrong following any of them. There are also regional and local routes that connect to the national routes.

One route I'd recommend (I've done most but not all of it) that meets your 80mi/5k goal and partially follows one of the National Routes:
Start in Lausanne, half an hour from Geneva by train - there's a train at least every 15 minutes. Continue east around the lake, and near Vevey, start heading north towards Chatel St Denis. Continue around towards Bulle, Gruyeres, Montbovon, and eventually to Lac D'Hongrin. From there, you get 3000 feet of descending through the mountains to Aigle. Google Maps says that's 65 miles, approximately 5k feet of elevation. For a bit more distance you can continue either direction through the valley from Aigle, towards either Martigny or Montreux. Roughly this route: https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Lausanne,+Switzerland/Ch%C3%A2tel-Saint-Denis,+Switzerland/46.4338587,7.0270554/Aigle,+Switzerland/Montreux,+Switzerland/@46.4723767,6.7294049,11z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m28!4m27!1m5!1m1!1s0x478c293ecd89a7e5:0xeb173fc9cae2ee5e!2m2!1d6.6322734!2d46.5196535!1m5!1m1!1s0x478e85ca50ba0147:0x7fdd2759cc91084!2m2!1d6.9010895!2d46.5269159!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x478e97c490d34e33:0xa936a5eb982cd218!2m2!1d6.970566!2d46.3190253!1m5!1m1!1s0x478e9b20cdb650cd:0xccc07a7fc46d1847!2m2!1d6.9106799!2d46.4312213!3e1!4e1

Guilherme Germoglio

May 7, 2018, 7:12:57 AM5/7/18
to Darrin Ward, Alexandre Passos, Sumeru Chatterjee, Elizeu Santos-Neto, SF2G
I can't help much with renting, but it seems that this company http://bikeswitzerlandrentals.com/ does the job (at least the announce good bikes for rental).

Yes, the public transport here is very bike friendly, even though there are a few restrictions (specially during spring/summer). Check https://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/auto-velo/on-the-move-by-bike/take-your-bike-with-you.html for more details.

As for routes, late May is great that the passes are opening (but maybe the higher ones at 2000m will still be closed -- either officially or not). I always check https://www.alpen-paesse.ch and strava recent rides on such segments to check if they are open. I still check strava because the passes may not be open officially, but still may be passable, which means no cars or motorcycles! Yay!

Must do? That's hard.

- Grosse Scheidegg usually impresses: https://www.strava.com/activities/1210518510 (or as a loop https://www.strava.com/activities/642862635).
- Any of the Furka + Nuffenen + Gotthard triad, or all three https://www.strava.com/activities/692528170 (San Gotthard is a coblestone climb -- a who doesn't want to do that?)
Col du Sanetsch (this I didn't do yet, but that area is A++) https://grandtoursproject.com/story/col-du-sanetsch-most-beautiful-cycling-climb
- Sustenpass and/or Klausen pass (https://www.strava.com/activities/1006909368)

You can also check http://www.cycling-challenge.com/ for more suggestions. There is some coverage for Switzerland and this gentleman is very knowledgeable and provides lots of photos from his rides!

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 1:43 AM Darrin Ward <dmw...@gmail.com> wrote:
after having spent many weekends in zurich and flying through geneve a few times, i constantly want to go riding there.

sadly i could never find anyone to rent me a good road bike in switzerland (i do have some height issues but i had trouble even finding places that rented).  i could bring my own but its only something i would do for 4-5 days and i'm never free that much.

it was the hardest place in europe to find someone to rent me a bike.

so yes plan ahead.

On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 3:07 PM, Alexandre Passos <alexan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Paging guiga and eliseu

On Sun, May 6, 2018, 15:39 Sumeru Chatterjee <sumeru.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all! Wanted to ask if you've biked in Switzerland before and had any recommendations?

I'll be in Geneve for work May 21-25, then have 2-3 days with no plans. And I really want to ride

Any recommendations on:

- Must do trails / routes
- Renting bikes and equipment
- Groups where I could find fellow riders

Flexible travel plans and budget. Willing to do ~80miles + 5k ft per day.

Thanks in advance!

---

---

Ben Kochie

May 7, 2018, 7:13:53 AM5/7/18
to Alexandre Passos, Scott Dier, Sumeru Chatterjee, Guilherme Mauro Germoglio Barbosa, Elizeu Santos-Neto, SF2G
Also Scott. :-)

Things I normally do:
* Check Strava
* Ask Scott

Paging guiga and eliseu

---

Dave Blizard

May 7, 2018, 10:19:34 AM5/7/18
to sup...@gmail.com, Alexandre Passos, Elizeu Santos-Neto, Guilherme Mauro Germoglio Barbosa, SF2G, Scott Dier, Sumeru Chatterjee
Some amazing riding nearby in Annecy France. Was there about a year ago and it was epic. Found a place that rented me a quality "Focus" road bike. If you want the details let me know.

On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 4:13 AM Ben Kochie <sup...@gmail.com> wrote:
Also Scott. :-)

Things I normally do:
* Check Strava
* Ask Scott
On Mon, May 7, 2018 at 12:07 AM, Alexandre Passos <alexan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Paging guiga and eliseu

On Sun, May 6, 2018, 15:39 Sumeru Chatterjee <sumeru.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all! Wanted to ask if you've biked in Switzerland before and had any recommendations?

I'll be in Geneve for work May 21-25, then have 2-3 days with no plans. And I really want to ride

Any recommendations on:

- Must do trails / routes
- Renting bikes and equipment
- Groups where I could find fellow riders

Flexible travel plans and budget. Willing to do ~80miles + 5k ft per day.

Thanks in advance!

---

---

---
Dave Blizard

Sumeru Chatterjee

May 7, 2018, 5:49:29 PM5/7/18
to daveb...@gmail.com, sup...@gmail.com, alexan...@gmail.com, elsant...@gmail.com, germ...@gmail.com, SF2G, sc...@dier.name
This is all SO helpful! Can't tell you how much I appreciate you all taking the time to respond. I knew SF2G was awesome, but didn't know it was this awesome!

If anyone has advice on where I can potentially find people to ride with (don't trust myself riding solo in a foreign country), please let me know! Also, Scott - looking forward to hearing from you!

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Elizeu Santos-Neto

Jun 17, 2018, 3:30:57 AM6/17/18
to Scott Dier, Ben Kochie, Alexandre Passos, Sumeru Chatterjee, Guilherme Mauro Germoglio Barbosa, SF2G
Oh no... somehow I missed this. Sorry, Sumeru. In any case, you had all covered by the experts here. I hope you had fun.

On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 2:59 AM Scott Dier <sc...@dier.name> wrote:
A few quick notes (going to bed soon, its very late here):

* Renting bikes is stupid expensive in switzerland.  I don't know how it is in France, so it might make sense to rent there.
* Bike Switzerland Rentals is in Geneva, though.  They're expensive but I've heard good things.  http://bikeswitzerlandrentals.com/rates/
* Switzerland Mobility has the bike routes: https://www.schweizmobil.ch/en/cycling-in-switzerland.html
  Only route I've done on that end of the country is the last bit of the Alpine Panorama Route (I did the whole thing in parts over a summer once)

This was mostly cool, had a significant amount of marginal roadway, though.  (broken up and littered with rockfall debris)  It passes by a huge millitary installation and theres a schedule listed in the Hints section there.  The route appears to be closed until 31 of may though, so not really useful to you in this case!  (for anyone else though: BRING A LIGHT, theres a ton of unlit tunnel at the end of the route that we did without lights and it was pretty scary.  Also its one lane, so obey the road and postbus schedule (will be posted on the road) *or* ride super carefully down the tunnled section.)

Back in that same area: (all the big mountains are over there)
I'm guessing there are ways to cut that loop down by taking public transport but I've not looked closely at it.  it may also be too early in the season.

Pass information, to see if they are open or closed:

alpsinsight.com has a few of the top tours listed, they did a thing for myswitzerland.com but also published them on their website.

The Jura isn't a bad idea this time of year, mostly because its sure to be open in late may:

Less hilly and likely super nice (but short, could look at the bike map above to make something larger out of it)

myswitzerland.ch has a road section with more ideas too:

Important transport information: (bike tickets, some trains require bike reservations IC5/51 and IC2/21)

--
Elizeu

Mike Gregory

Jun 17, 2018, 6:30:52 PM6/17/18