ot: looking for a cannondale crank arm removal tool

serena

Apr 27, 2015, 2:03:23 PM4/27/15
to SF2G
my BB is creaky and i'd like to overhaul it, but don't have this persnickety proprietary cannondale tool. anyone?

Marcello Pedersen

Apr 27, 2015, 3:00:34 PM4/27/15
to Sefo Yo, SF2G
[copy and paste from another thread]

Hollogram crank? You need the  KT013 from Cannondale or a Park tool CCP-22 a bit of ingenuity.

I have the CCP-22, it came in the Park Tool Ak-37 Advanced Mechanic Tool Kit.

Once the cranks are out, you need a removal tool:

By the way, I had a creak the other week so I removed the crank arms, regreased the spindles, and problems is gone. Didn't have to touch the bearings and hammer our the spindle (not a good feeling).

Marcello

On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 11:02 AM, serena <sef...@gmail.com> wrote:
my BB is creaky and i'd like to overhaul it, but don't have this persnickety proprietary cannondale tool. anyone?

---

Marcello Pedersen | Google Inc. | mped...@google.com | 415 508 6800

Jason Thorpe

Apr 27, 2015, 4:21:02 PM4/27/15
to mped...@google.com, Sefo Yo, SF2G
I don’t have the Cannondale tool for the cranks, but I have all of the other BB30 tools if you want to borrow them.

serena

Apr 27, 2015, 4:21:14 PM4/27/15
to Marcello Pedersen, SF2G
thanks, marcello! hah, and yes, the less i have to do, the "safer" i will feel about it. i'm not confident enough to be happy with bike hammering :)

found this helpful video for the crank arm part. and i should specify, my crank is the cannondale si

Marcello Pedersen

Apr 27, 2015, 6:43:46 PM4/27/15
to serena, SF2G
CCP-22 and a long bolt should do the trick. It does on my SISL2 crank. You are more than welcome to borrow it. Removal of the cranks is super quick. If you want to try getting them out first before touching the bearings which is a more work.

serena

Apr 27, 2015, 6:48:47 PM4/27/15
to Jason Thorpe, Marcello Pedersen, SF2G
thanks, jason! if i understand right, then all i need is the Park tool CCP-22, plus a 5/8 inch diameter aluminium shaft. i will see what i can get. or possibly borrow marcello's + long bolt for phase I. mille grazie!

Jason Thorpe

Apr 27, 2015, 8:01:04 PM4/27/15
to sef...@gmail.com, Marcello Pedersen, SF2G

On Apr 27, 2015, at 3:48 PM, serena <sef...@gmail.com> wrote:

thanks, jason! if i understand right, then all i need is the Park tool CCP-22, plus a 5/8 inch diameter aluminium shaft. i will see what i can get. or possibly borrow marcello's + long bolt for phase I. mille graze!

That depends on how much you want to do… that’ll get the crank off, but if you want to replace the bearings, you’ll need the other stuff, too.  LMK!

serena

Apr 28, 2015, 12:13:28 AM4/28/15
to Jason Thorpe, Marcello Pedersen, SF2G
ok, got it. i'll try the cranks first and if that doesn't do it, then i'll do a true overhaul.

Scott Crosby

Apr 28, 2015, 12:15:41 AM4/28/15
to sef...@gmail.com, Jason Thorpe, Marcello Pedersen, SF2G
Are you sure the BB is the issue? Tried chainring bolts and all the other usual suspects? Try easiest fixes first and all...

serena

Apr 28, 2015, 1:37:43 AM4/28/15
to Scott Crosby, Jason Thorpe, Marcello Pedersen, SF2G
good point. scott at bicycle odyssey wanted to overhaul the BB on sunday, but said he couldn't do so without the special 2 cannondale bolts; i was just going by his suggestion.

i figured i'd try to do it myself before buying the parts and making an appointment with scott who is booking a few weeks out, then borrowing a car and going to DMV to get a driver's license, which would also require a DMV appointment (where they are booking a month out),  so i could then drive to marin to drop her off, etc. etc. ;-) but you're right: maybe i need to tighten something else. how many "usual suspects" are there for the creak?

Maciek Wojciechowski

Apr 28, 2015, 3:30:22 AM4/28/15
to sef...@gmail.com, Scott Crosby, Jason Thorpe, Marcello Pedersen, SF2G

My bike recently stopped creaking after I tightened the rear skewer. I was "totally sure" I could hear it coming from the BB...

In the meantime I changed the pedals, tightened the chainrings and overhauled the BB and headset. Cool story, bro.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Scott Crosby

Apr 28, 2015, 11:05:06 AM4/28/15
to Maciek Wojciechowski, Sefo Yo, Jason Thorpe, Marcello Pedersen, SF2G
there are probably half a dozen things it could be if it sounds like the BB is the source. chainring bolts, seatpost binder bolt, rear skewer as MW said, seat rails, etc. Or it could be the BB, but it usually isn't, it seems like.

Max Nachury

Apr 28, 2015, 11:50:32 AM4/28/15
to scr...@gmail.com, Maciek Wojciechowski, Sefo Yo, Jason Thorpe, Marcello Pedersen, SF2G
My last BB creak was resolved when I removed, greased and reassembled the rear dérailleur hanger. The headset had to be replaced too.

GCN on YouTube has a couple of good videos about tracing the origin of creaks.

Autocorrected courtesy of iOS

serena

Apr 28, 2015, 1:11:48 PM4/28/15
to Max Nachury, scr...@gmail.com, Maciek Wojciechowski, Jason Thorpe, Marcello Pedersen, SF2G
thanks for all the BB insights and red herrings. i'll let you know what this one turned out to be!

Erik Waher

Apr 28, 2015, 2:33:56 PM4/28/15
to nac...@gmail.com, Marcello Pedersen, Maciek Wojciechowski, SF2G, Jason Thorpe, sefo yo, Scott Crosby

How accurate is the old screwdriver on suspected area to ear trick with these bikes? Works great on car motors for finding bad valves and so on.

serena

May 5, 2015, 4:22:01 PM5/5/15
to Max Nachury, scr...@gmail.com, Maciek Wojciechowski, Jason Thorpe, Marcello Pedersen, SF2G
partial update: removing cranks and greasing the spindle yielded louder ticks until i could snug things back up with a proper torque wrench. it seems quieter! will ride it this week to check performance. still considering doing the BB grease or replacement because it's been a couple years and a bunch of miles.

thanks again for the helpful tips!