ot: the comedy of problems (the broken wheel)

Darrin Ward

Jun 14, 2017, 5:09:03 PM6/14/17
to SF2G
so while doing laps at the golden gate polo fields this morning, my rear tube exploded.  i noticed that my tire was shredded enough.  thankful i carry the a tire patch with me (the park tool one is super useful and easier to use then a bill for me).  i put that back on.  okay.  i put in a new tube but accidentally pulled out the valve core.  le sigh.  to busy to try getting the valve core out of the tire pump which is stuck.  thankfully i carry a second pump and a second tube.  fix everything, pump it up and get ready to put the wheel back in.  its the rear wheel.  but i cant.  i thought i was stupid or really fucking tired.

take the wheel out and the cassette falls off still attached to the free hub.  it seems like i broke an axle which i have never done before.

for those paying close attention to my life, these were not the wheels i built over the weekend at sugar wheel works in portland.  this is a relatively recent set of wheels though that someone in sf built (mavic open pro's with white industries t11 hubs).

was to busy to take pictures.

anyways im fine but you know it was a beautiful morning and i just want to ride.

anyone else ever have those mornings?

lurch

Bret Lobree

Jun 14, 2017, 5:23:04 PM6/14/17
to SF2G, dmw...@gmail.com
Yep...double Bart incident

---

steve armijo

Jun 14, 2017, 5:41:11 PM6/14/17
to Darrin Ward, SF2G
That is amazing.

so many backup failures.

glad you're ok.

also, wow.

-s

Peter Colijn

Jun 14, 2017, 5:45:33 PM6/14/17
to steve armijo, Darrin Ward, SF2G
I always carry a bunch of tubes but a second pump? Nice.

---

Christine Ryan

Jun 14, 2017, 5:48:13 PM6/14/17
to caff...@colijn.ca, steve armijo, Darrin Ward, SF2G
Seriously. I feel extraordinarily well prepared when I remember to bring one...

---

---
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Zak Jarvis

Jun 14, 2017, 5:57:10 PM6/14/17
to dmw...@gmail.com, SF2G
Early on when I first started riding again after about ten years off the bike I had a 3 flat day.

First flat wasn't far from home. Patched it, CO2'd it, rode off.

Second one on the same tire (back). Much further from home. Tired and annoyed, I patched it AGAIN, used my last CO2, rode off.

Third one, about a mile later. Same tire.

GUNSHOT bang. I'd pinched the tube and it exploded. It tore apart the sidewall of the tire, including the Kevlar bead.

Ain't no patch for THAT.

Called my wife, didn't ride any more that day.

When I autopsied the tire I found a sharp piece of ceramic embedded in the hole, invisible from either entry or exit.

And it was a beautiful day to ride down PCH (this was in SoCal, PCH was my main route).
On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 2:09 PM Darrin Ward <dmw...@gmail.com> wrote:

Kurt Wallace Martin

Jun 14, 2017, 5:57:26 PM6/14/17
to Darrin Ward, steve armijo, SF2G
Can’t decide whether it’s good to ride with you because you’re prepared or bad because you’re unlucky…

Darrin Ward

Jun 14, 2017, 6:03:01 PM6/14/17
to Kurt Wallace Martin, steve armijo, SF2G
heh.

well sort of prepared.  ultimately i had to call my awesome girlfriend to come pick me up from the polo fields cause i am not fixing a broken wheel on the side of the road.

1st time actually needed a real rescue though.  ignoring the ambulance ride last year.

after she starts her new job, it would of been a lyft.

steve armijo

Jun 14, 2017, 6:15:49 PM6/14/17
to Zak Jarvis, Darrin Ward, SF2G
I've had that 3 flat day. On Bayway. Tire went all mushy approaching
the water stop. Good timing at least. I swap tubes, quick check of
tire for pokey things and no worries.

We pick up cruising along and second flat hits just before Bridge to
Nowhere. I wave people off and swap tubes. Examine tire extra
carefully. Feel along rim and find nothing.

Resume ride and flat after maybe another mile. Pull out patch kit,
patch tube, contemplate life.

Finally realize tubes have holes in same area. Notice the rim strip
has shifted ever so slightly as to allow a bit of tube in. Resolve
never again to have a wheel with non-sticky rim tape ( seriously,
screw that noise! ) I end up bailing to Caltrain.

Ride for many more years without similar issue once tape is replaced.
Now, despite not riding tubeless the tubeless tape is my go to for
taping rims.

-s

Peter Colijn

Jun 14, 2017, 6:21:28 PM6/14/17
to steve armijo, Zak Jarvis, Darrin Ward, SF2G
Ryan flatted on sheep camp yesterday and I noticed he didn't have rim tape but instead had little thingies covering just the spoke/nipple holes. Kinda neat.

> --
> -- follow: http://twitter.com/sf2g | terms: http://sf2g.com/terms.html |
> bike prep: http://sf2g.com/bike-prep.html | unsub:
> http://groups.google.com/group/sf2g
> ---

---

Darrin Ward

Jun 14, 2017, 6:21:30 PM6/14/17
to steve armijo, Zak Jarvis, SF2G
i also had a three flat bayway day once.  i gave the tire to a coworker to look over when i couldnt find it.  he found it.  it was this little microscopic piece of metal.

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 3:15 PM, steve armijo <st...@subgeni.us> wrote:

> --
> -- follow: http://twitter.com/sf2g | terms: http://sf2g.com/terms.html |
> bike prep: http://sf2g.com/bike-prep.html | unsub:
> http://groups.google.com/group/sf2g
> ---

steve armijo

Jun 14, 2017, 7:21:51 PM6/14/17
to Peter Colijn, Zak Jarvis, Darrin Ward, SF2G
plugs are nifty. I have a couple sets of Velocity Veloplugs but they
are very specific to certain rims. Putting them in rims they don't
snuggle into is all kinds of bad if they're too loose they fall out .

-s

>> > --
>> > -- follow: http://twitter.com/sf2g | terms: http://sf2g.com/terms.html |
>> > bike prep: http://sf2g.com/bike-prep.html | unsub:
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/sf2g
>> > ---
>> > an
>> > email to sf2g+uns...@googlegroups.com.
>>
>> --
>> -- follow: http://twitter.com/sf2g | terms: http://sf2g.com/terms.html |
>> bike prep: http://sf2g.com/bike-prep.html | unsub:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/sf2g
>> ---

Darrin Ward

Jun 15, 2017, 2:21:43 PM6/15/17
to SF2G
in case you are curious:

so in a conversation with my wheel builder in portland, the axle set screws came loose.  the builder has found this on the white industries hub where there is more play in the hub.  she said that the open pro build is to flexible of a build for me.

i just found this all quite fascinating.

morale of the story for me.  when doing a custom wheel build, it is best to consult with someone who actually does this all the time.  the bike shop that did the build in sf probably should not of recommended the open pro build when i am sure it might work for plenty of other people.

darrin