OT: no bikes on skyline from westmore to hickey?

Rob

Nov 20, 2017, 8:24:34 PM11/20/17
to SF2G
I just heard that no bike signs went up on skyline blvd between westmore and hickey this weekend. I've been taking skyline dr recently due to the road construction sign on skyline (the day i ignored it the shoulder was closed in a very poor location). I know I sent some letter or signed some petition saying I use this section of road regularly. I was under the impression that the skyline ban was pulled off the table.

Rob

Brian Kenneth Coyne

Nov 21, 2017, 12:07:04 AM11/21/17
to SF2G
Can anyone confirm this? (I'm out of town this week or I'd go myself)

I helped organize the letter-writing campaign about this over the summer and helped get some elected officials and the bike coalitions involved.

If 'No Bikes' signs have indeed gone up, I'll try to find out from Sergio Ruiz at Caltrans what's going on. I checked in with him about it just a few weeks ago, and he said any action was on hold pending funding for actual bike improvements.

Brian

Rob

Nov 21, 2017, 12:33:28 AM11/21/17
to SF2G
I have yet to see them though I just confirmed that a friend of mine who lives in pacifica saw them today. I'll be down skyline on wed and will get a photo.

Rob

Nov 21, 2017, 10:45:03 AM11/21/17
to SF2G
Photos of the north and southbound signs. Southbound just after hickey and northbound just after westmore.

2017-11-21 06.44.31.jpg
2017-11-21 06.54.34.jpg

Rob

Nov 21, 2017, 10:45:52 AM11/21/17
to SF2G

On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 7:45:03 AM UTC-8, Rob wrote:
Photos of the north and southbound signs. Southbound just after hickey and northbound just after westmore.

ment northbound just after hickey and southbound just after westmore. Sorry about that.

Brian Kenneth Coyne

Nov 21, 2017, 1:58:40 PM11/21/17
to SF2G
I just spoke to Sergio Ruiz at Caltrans and got good news:

Those signs were put up by mistake. Back in May, they initially put in a work order for bike ban signs, and while the order was rescinded after the letter writing campaign, someone didn't get the memo.

Sergio said the signs should be gone by the end of the day today.

He asked us to call back if they're still there tomorrow, so let me know if you still see them.

Brian

Peter Colijn

Nov 21, 2017, 2:38:30 PM11/21/17
to bkc...@gmail.com, SF2G
Wow, thanks for following up, Brian!

---

Zak Jarvis

Nov 21, 2017, 4:04:20 PM11/21/17
to caff...@colijn.ca, bkc...@gmail.com, SF2G
I’ll have a look this evening.

---

Rob

Nov 21, 2017, 7:10:45 PM11/21/17
to SF2G

On Tuesday, November 21, 2017 at 10:58:40 AM UTC-8, Brian Kenneth Coyne wrote:
I just spoke to Sergio Ruiz at Caltrans and got good news:

Those signs were put up by mistake. Back in May, they initially put in a work order for bike ban signs, and while the order was rescinded after the letter writing campaign, someone didn't get the memo.

Sergio said the signs should be gone by the end of the day today.

Just heard from Vernon that the signs are now gone. Thanks Brian!

Zak Jarvis

Nov 21, 2017, 10:52:00 PM11/21/17
to rob...@manchero.org, SF2G
Ah, cool! Saves me a (very short) trip!

Emma Shlaes

Dec 12, 2017, 2:57:57 PM12/12/17
to SF2G
Hey everyone,

Sorry that I'm just seeing this but I had been by that intersection on November 18 and also saw the signs. I immediately called Sergio with concern. As Brian said, Sergio had been unaware of the signs going up and that was not permitted based on the snafu in May/June of this year. It was a mistake to put them up (I think lack of communication between departments). I'll be meeting with Sergio this week to discuss the next steps for this corridor/intersection and will share broadly after that meeting.

Thanks,
Emma

Scott Perry

Dec 12, 2017, 4:23:25 PM12/12/17
to em...@bikesiliconvalley.org, SF2G
Thanks Emma!

Related to bicycle signage, last week I did Skyline with Cordelia and I didn’t see the “Bicycles Must Exit” signs on either of the 280 splits. I don’t do 280 often, but I have some memories of seeing exit signs before… did I just miss them, or are they actually missing?

Dan Padgett

Dec 12, 2017, 9:20:35 PM12/12/17
to SF2G
i have seen one at trousdale, but not one at larkspur.  i dunno if that means you could cycle all the way to trousdale or what though.

Emma Shlaes

Dec 13, 2017, 12:24:17 PM12/13/17
to Scott Perry, SF2G
Hi Scott,

Can you clarify your question: do you mean you were expecting to see "Bikes Must Exit" signs on 280, where bike access ends, but didn't? If so, where exactly were you? Thanks.

Emma Shlaes
Policy Manager
Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition
96 N. Third Street, Suite 375
PO Box 1927
San Jose, CA  95109

Tis' the Season! Please consider a year-end gift to SVBC

Yuanyu Chen

Dec 18, 2017, 1:55:32 PM12/18/17
to em...@bikesiliconvalley.org, Scott Perry, SF2G
Trousdale one here is still there (saw it from the bus last week): https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5838815,-122.4064885,3a,75y,175.43h,84.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s22gQ2RoL40xsayDAyjsRtw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Not sure on Larkspur though...

Emma Shlaes
Policy Manager
Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition
96 N. Third Street, Suite 375
PO Box 1927
San Jose, CA  95109

Tis' the Season! Please consider a year-end gift to SVBC

Peter Colijn

Dan Padgett

Peter Colijn

Jan 22, 2018, 10:30:37 PM1/22/18
to dumbl...@gmail.com, SF2G
Indeed. Thanks! I'll see if I can figure out where to file a ticket for CalTrans to fix this.