OT: Fake Avid rotors?

Ken MacInnis

Sep 13, 2017, 11:19:18 PM9/13/17
to SF2G
Hey folks,

Ordered some new Avid G2 Clean Sweep rotors from Amazon (not a 3rd party seller).

What I received looks like nothing I’ve ever seen from Avid. Weird block logo, manufacture date from the future, torque missing in-lb, and so on.

Any opinions? Is this just a funky design I haven’t seen before? They weigh 117g each, so they match, and match the expected weight, but still.

I was expecting a shrinkwrap card, not a weird box+blister packaging (though did include hardware), as well.

Ken

Viet-Trung Luu

Sep 13, 2017, 11:30:27 PM9/13/17
to Ken MacInnis, SF2G
I'd guess fake. The Internet has quite a few reports of counterfeit Avid rotors.

If you want to be sure, I'd email Avid/SRAM; I'm guessing they'd like to know.

(I don't entirely trust Amazon's supply chain when it comes to bike parts. There are also other ways for fakes to get in, e.g., by returns.)

---

Viet-Trung Luu

Sep 13, 2017, 11:46:30 PM9/13/17
to Ken MacInnis, SF2G
(That said, it does appear to match the picture from a number of reputable sellers, including Art's Cyclery.)

Ken MacInnis

Sep 13, 2017, 11:49:52 PM9/13/17
to Viet-Trung Luu, SF2G
Thanks. I did email SRAM, will let you know what they say. Trust this gang more than a lot of vendors. Good point on the returns channel.

I've seen this "style" on some sites, but never in person, and I've gone through a bunch. The manufacture date from 2022 really gets me.

Ken

Viet-Trung Luu

Sep 14, 2017, 12:20:08 AM9/14/17
to Ken MacInnis, SF2G
I had to get off the couch, but the G2CSes I have (all 160 mm also) are also of the style seen on SRAM's web page (stylized "Avid" on "spoke"), though they're quite old. Maybe SRAM changed contractor though. (For a moment, I thought the date might be March 22, 2016, but other pictures of the same type would contradict this guess.)

jw (james) bender

Sep 15, 2017, 1:50:25 AM9/15/17
to SF2G
It kinda doesnt matter.  They are just steel rotors.  You paid less for them.  Bolt em on ride em.

These are likely the OEM version of the rotor for low end disc brake bikes

Ken MacInnis

Sep 15, 2017, 10:47:32 AM9/15/17
to jwbe...@gmail.com, SF2G
Disagree. As mentioned, there's a history of Avid fakes. I'm not going to place my life on the chance that *maybe* this has been formed, tempered, and milled correctly. The failure mode is too great. Would you trust a 2022 production date?

Plus I paid full price. Amazon, not eBay. I'll be getting first run rotors, thanks.
---

Erik Waher

Sep 15, 2017, 1:26:21 PM9/15/17
to Ken MacInnis, jwbe...@gmail.com, SF2G
I felt that way too james, its just a steel rotor that cut. Since the rotor is a critical piece of the bike (what piece isn't really?) having a OEM part is pretty important so you can guarantee it was built to a tolerance and tested. Knockoffs can easily come from the same production line, using the same raw materials but if you're wrong, you can't hold anyone accountable for whatever happens. Better to get what you pay for.

Hans Nielsen

Sep 16, 2017, 4:02:07 PM9/16/17
to ken.ma...@gmail.com, SF2G
I'd vote fake.

I have the same set of OEM rotors (came stock with the BB7s on my Specialized AWOL), and the date stamp on them is "TB10DEC14". I bought the bike in the summer of 2015, implying that the year is on the right-hand side of that date (unless Specialized was using four-year-old rotor stock for some reason).

---

Ken MacInnis

Sep 16, 2017, 4:06:13 PM9/16/17
to Hans Nielsen, SF2G
Haven’t heard back from SRAM yet, but I did get a replacement set from Amazon, and they are identical (down to the fake-seemed prod date string). I’m finding it odd to get four rotors made on the exact same line, on the same day - in the future, no less. Though these two also weigh exactly 117g each, same as the first set.

Even if they’re not fake, they’re sketching me out enough to just hit up my LBS and drop them some deserved cash.

On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 8:19:18 PM UTC-7, Ken M wrote:
Hey folks,

Ordered some new Avid G2 Clean Sweep rotors from Amazon (not a 3rd party seller).

What I received looks like nothing I’ve ever seen from Avid. Weird block logo, manufacture date from the future, torque missing in-lb, and so on.

Any opinions? Is this just a funky design I haven’t seen before? They weigh 117g each, so they match, and match the expected weight, but still.

I was expecting a shrinkwrap card, not a weird box+blister packaging (though did include hardware), as well.

Ken

---

---

Ken MacInnis

Sep 18, 2017, 11:55:58 AM9/18/17
to Hans Nielsen, SF2G
SRAM's reply:

"These look legit. The manufacture date is March 22, 2016."

Looks like there's at least two production lines with totally different tooling, including logos and date formats.

Thanks for playing!

Ken