Partycar 277

Peter Gulezian

Apr 22, 2015, 4:58:53 PM4/22/15
to SF2G
Giants fans, sure, but one has to get home somehow!

-p

Ted Ketai

Apr 22, 2015, 6:42:25 PM4/22/15
to Peter Gulezian, SF2G
277 wasn't too bad for Giants fans yesterday. I may make it, but may stay at work later. Got in late today.

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 1:58 PM, Peter Gulezian <pe...@metoca.net> wrote:
Giants fans, sure, but one has to get home somehow!

-p

---

Georgia Andrews

Apr 22, 2015, 6:50:36 PM4/22/15
to Ted Ketai, Peter Gulezian, SF2G
+1 will try to remember to bring my own beer
--
Women Who Code San Francisco City Director

Nathan Dushman

Apr 22, 2015, 7:42:26 PM4/22/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Might come say hi at 22nd St if you're getting off there; can possibly join for a beer or dinner near there.

Nathan

Alexandre Passos

Apr 24, 2015, 1:18:03 PM4/24/15
to SF2G
Come drink to the 9th anniversary of bayway! (or is it the 9th anniversary of partycar as well?)

Knoll 5:10 if you're at google, train 277 otherwise.
--
 - Alexandre

Ted Ketai

Apr 24, 2015, 1:30:39 PM4/24/15
to Alexandre Passos, SF2G
+1, even if I can't ride today, I can drink tonight.

Georgia Andrews

Apr 24, 2015, 1:36:11 PM4/24/15
to Ted Ketai, Alexandre Passos, SF2G
+1

R Samuel Klatchko

Apr 24, 2015, 1:40:13 PM4/24/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com, tke...@gmail.com, alexan...@gmail.com
+.5 with some Irish Whiskey.

Alexandra

Apr 24, 2015, 2:07:28 PM4/24/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
I personally would like to see you Samuel. :) I'll be there.

On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 10:40:13 AM UTC-7, R Samuel Klatchko wrote:
+.5 with some Irish Whiskey.

Peter Gulezian

Apr 24, 2015, 2:46:35 PM4/24/15
to alexan...@gmail.com, SF2G
+1 whee!

-p

Scott Crosby

Apr 24, 2015, 2:50:17 PM4/24/15
to pe...@metoca.net, alexan...@gmail.com, SF2G, Amandeep Jawa
Deep invented Partycar(.com) in like 2002, afaik, so it predates sf2g by years.

Ramesh G

Apr 24, 2015, 4:06:08 PM4/24/15
to scr...@gmail.com, pe...@metoca.net, alexan...@gmail.com, SF2G, Amandeep Jawa
+ 1

From Mountain View Caltrain.

Ramesh
Sent from my iPhone

Scott Johnston

Apr 24, 2015, 4:12:21 PM4/24/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com, scr...@gmail.com, pe...@metoca.net, de...@deeptrouble.com, alexan...@gmail.com
+1
Giants game is at 5:40, so shouldn't be too bad, no?

-Scott

On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 1:06:08 PM UTC-7, Ramesh G wrote:
+ 1

From Mountain View Caltrain.

Ramesh
Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 24, 2015, at 11:50 AM, Scott Crosby <scr...@gmail.com> wrote:

Deep invented Partycar(.com) in like 2002, afaik, so it predates sf2g by years.

On Friday, April 24, 2015, Peter Gulezian <pe...@metoca.net> wrote:
+1 whee!

-p

On Apr 24, 2015, at 10:17 AM, Alexandre Passos <alexan...@gmail.com> wrote:

Come drink to the 9th anniversary of bayway! (or is it the 9th anniversary of partycar as well?)

Knoll 5:10 if you're at google, train 277 otherwise.
--
 - Alexandre

---

---

Patrick Lea

Matthew Hiller

Apr 24, 2015, 4:27:12 PM4/24/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com, de...@deeptrouble.com, alexan...@gmail.com, wamp...@gmail.com, scr...@gmail.com, pe...@metoca.net
+1, will meet the group at 4th & King.
+1 whee!

-p

---

---

Brett Lider

Apr 24, 2015, 4:39:11 PM4/24/15
to Matthew Hiller, SF2G, de...@deeptrouble.com, Alexandre Passos, Scott Johnston, Scott Crosby, Peter Gulezian
+1 from the grassy knoll.

I'd like to take Stevens Creek instead of Shoreline. Any other takers? I know the way.

+1 whee!

-p

Mark Kahn

Apr 24, 2015, 5:17:05 PM4/24/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com, pe...@metoca.net, de...@deeptrouble.com, alexan...@gmail.com, scr...@gmail.com
since game is in Colorado, yes, shouldn't be too bad

Zoe Hoster

Apr 24, 2015, 5:42:35 PM4/24/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com, de...@deeptrouble.com, pe...@metoca.net, scr...@gmail.com, alexan...@gmail.com
+1

Brett Lider

Apr 24, 2015, 8:05:26 PM4/24/15
to Zoe Hoster, Scott Crosby, Peter Gulezian, alexan...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com, de...@deeptrouble.com

I'm at the grassy (now mulchy) knoll. Departing at 5:10

+1 whee!

-p

---

---

Jeffrey Skokan

Apr 24, 2015, 9:05:35 PM4/24/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Let me know if y'all up for post-Partycar.

Peter Gulezian

Apr 24, 2015, 9:30:20 PM4/24/15
to jsk...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
Benders! There are rumors of it being karaoke night, but I'm sure we can power through.

Also, Colijny?

-p

> On Apr 24, 2015, at 18:05, Jeffrey Skokan <jsk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Let me know if y'all up for post-Partycar.

Christine Windsor

Apr 24, 2015, 11:47:18 PM4/24/15
to Peter Gulezian, jsk...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
Colijny is doing the devil mountain double tomorrow and because that's not enough of a challenge he's biking to the start overnight. So he is sleeping right now in preparation of his foolishness.

Scott Crosby

Apr 25, 2015, 2:49:01 AM4/25/15
to chri...@colijn.ca, Peter Gulezian, jsk...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
Peter is the new Chang.

Brett Lider

Apr 25, 2015, 4:23:21 PM4/25/15
to Scott Crosby, Christine Windsor, SF2G, Peter Gulezian, jsk...@gmail.com

Good luck, Peter! That's an amazing course. My favorite double.

Peter Chang

Apr 25, 2015, 10:25:20 PM4/25/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com

On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 11:49:01 PM UTC-7, impunity wrote:
Peter is the new Chang.

chang was never in peter's class. not even playing the same game.

\p

Ted Ketai

Apr 26, 2015, 9:01:55 PM4/26/15
to Peter Chang, sf...@googlegroups.com
you're right, you suck at bikes, you should probably take up speed walking instead.

Peter Chang

Apr 26, 2015, 11:53:28 PM4/26/15
to Ted Ketai, sf...@googlegroups.com
> you should probably take up speed walking instead.

it goes w/ my general funny-looking motif, so i'll take it under advisement.

\p

Stephen Grenholm

Apr 26, 2015, 11:58:21 PM4/26/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Still no DMD report?

Peter Colijn

Apr 27, 2015, 3:37:45 PM4/27/15
to Stephen Grenholm, SF2G
On Friday I was WFH so I could (hopefully) get a bit of sleep before rolling out. In the morning I went to Sandbox to get some pastries for breakfast and to bring with me on the ride. I kind of bought all the things. They gave me some very strange looks.

At about 2245 I rolled out after trying (unsuccessfully) to get a few hours sleep. The ride down skyline was a bit 'damp' and I opted for 0x280 given the darkness and conditions. A couple down branches on SAT and the rollers, but otherwise quite peaceful and uneventful. I came through Woodside just before 1am and there were rowdy drunk people! In Woodside! I thought all the drunk people would be in SF, but I guess they were still getting drunk when I left.

I stopped briefly at Stanford Shopping Center to eat and turn on directions (I have no clue where I'm going anywhere in east bay, especially in the dark). The ride over the bridge and through the east bay suburbs was pretty nice in that there was virtually zero traffic. Roads that are probably terrifying almost-freeways during the day were vast expanses of peaceful asphalt. Mercifully, there was also a pretty nice tailwind on this section. Things went great until Google Maps started giving me random directions to turn in strange places, like into empty parking lots. It was trying to get me on some kind of bike path but the tiny little entrances to the paths are really easy to miss in the dark. I ended up rolling through some soft, sticky mud on one of these ill-advised turns. Caked up parts of my bike for the rest of the day.

Landed at the ride start about 420am. Checked in, put my bib on, and found some coffee. Everyone else looked so fresh and chipper.

Roll out at 5am. Felt great going up Diablo. Felt like total shit coming down. It was barely above freezing and I hadn't dried out at all yet from the ride in.

The ride over to Morgan Territory and the climb itself were fine, though I was feeling a bit tired at this point. Ate a lot at the Morgan Territory rest stop.

Then came Patterson Pass. Felt like shit here too. Soul-crushing headwinds, ugly scenery, and for fuck's sake why are there so many windmills that don't even work?

Finally got to Mines Road. At this point I was familiar with things again, so felt a bit more comfortable. Found some riding buddies to chat with for a bit on the way to the junction, which helped pass the time. Managed to get a sandwich at the junction but none of the hot food was veggie. Probably spent too long at that rest stop, but chugging a Coke felt good.

The climb up Ham was actually not too bad. I was way slower than usual but it wasn't painful, I was able to take it easy. I missed the mile 4 marker so for a while I thought I was totally dragging ass but then I saw the mile 3 marker and felt better. Interestingly, there's no checkpoint at the top of Ham. I went up to Lick's and snapped a pic, but then continued down the descent.

At the next rest stop I was regaled with tales of the next climb to come, Sierra Road. Tried to prepare myself mentally for it. Cruised over there with one of the dudes I had been chatting with, and started to make my way up. And up. And up. It's kind of like Purisima, except paved. It stair-steps between a ton of steep little rises. At one of the steeper bits, a crowd was assembled to cheer people on with drums and cowbells and stuff. Pretty awesome, but I was also worried I'd run out of gas and have to walk or fall over right in front of them. Alternating in and out of the saddle, I managed (slowly) and was very relieved to see the next rest stop. They had coffee, which was very welcome.

From here it was reverse Calaveras, another rest stop, then reverse Palomares (which were both way longer than I remember from riding them 'forwards') then another small climb to the finish. I didn't hit the finish until shortly after 10pm. I had been hoping to get there at more like 8pm, but I was slow and definitely dawdling at the rest stops towards the end of the day. When I checked in, they told me there were still 200 riders on the course (out of 279 or something - the biggest group ever!) I felt less bad at that point.

I sat down with a massive serving of veggie lasagna and looked up the last BART from San Leandro. I needed another 20 miles to get to 300, and San Leandro BART fit perfectly. I had to get there by 0018, and Google Maps was estimating 1h51m. After stuffing my face I rolled out at 2240ish and landed at BART just after midnight. I'd been awake and riding for over 24 hours at this point, but the fun wasn't over. BART was messed up due to some track construction, so there was a shuttle from coliseum to fruitvale, then the train sat around for half an hour in fruitvale, then moved a bit and stopped in the middle of nowhere, etc. Finally got to 24th/mish around 0120.

The climb up to my house sucked, but at least I didn't have any growlers. My loving and devoted wife had ice cream waiting for me.

On Sun, Apr 26, 2015 at 8:58 PM, Stephen Grenholm <stephen....@gmail.com> wrote:
Still no DMD report?

Stephen Grenholm

Apr 27, 2015, 3:53:05 PM4/27/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com, stephen....@gmail.com
Wow.
Riding down beforehand could perhaps be considered 'ill-advised'. Getting in the saddle again afterwards is truly hard-core.
Uh, seek help.

I was wondering how the morning rain would affect you guys in the descents - arguably better than roasting, but not pleasant.
That's a huge crowd for DMD - any incidents, as far as you know?

Peter Colijn

Apr 27, 2015, 4:21:44 PM4/27/15
to Stephen Grenholm, SF2G
On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 12:53 PM, Stephen Grenholm <stephen....@gmail.com> wrote:
That's a huge crowd for DMD - any incidents, as far as you know?

The only incident I know of was one guy who slid out on a corner and had a bit of road rash, but nothing serious. There may have been others, though.

Thomas Haggerty

Apr 27, 2015, 4:36:08 PM4/27/15
to Peter Colijn, Stephen Grenholm, SF2G
This seems like it would be right up your (mixed terrain) alley:

http://ridebike.org/sfr/adventure/orr-springs-600/

Two months away.

Christine Ryan

Apr 27, 2015, 4:58:58 PM4/27/15
to tdhag...@gmail.com, Peter Colijn, Stephen Grenholm, SF2G
Wow...that's basically an Everest's worth of climbing.

Guilherme Germoglio

Apr 27, 2015, 5:05:16 PM4/27/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
anyone interested in doing it in 3 days? there might be hotels/inns that can be used along the route and suddenly 200k/day seems 'reasonable' and fun.

Guilherme Germoglio

Apr 27, 2015, 5:08:14 PM4/27/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
but I'd really like to do the Kings Ridge in two days first. (-:

Ted Ketai

Apr 27, 2015, 5:28:01 PM4/27/15
to Peter Colijn, Stephen Grenholm, SF2G
That sounds truly and thoroughly stupid and miserable. Nice work.

matthew kenaston

Apr 27, 2015, 10:47:58 PM4/27/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Awesome. Just, plain awesome. Thanks for the ride report!! I just read it to my wife who's reaction was, "wait, I don't get it" :))))))

Dave Blizard

Apr 27, 2015, 11:15:58 PM4/27/15
to matthew....@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
That was a huge effort!! Congrats. And got to see Peter again this morning. :)

On Monday, April 27, 2015, matthew kenaston <matthew....@gmail.com> wrote:
Awesome. Just, plain awesome. Thanks for the ride report!! I just read it to my wife who's reaction was, "wait, I don't get it" :))))))

---

Dave Blizard

Scott Crosby

Apr 28, 2015, 12:05:13 AM4/28/15
to daveb...@gmail.com, matthew....@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
Jesus H.

P-B-P must be next.

Bret Lobree

Apr 28, 2015, 1:57:15 PM4/28/15
to Scott Crosby, daveb...@gmail.com, matthew....@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
I think he missed to boat for that this year...you need to complete a full set... I think 200, 300, 400, 600 to qualify...have to wait 4 years.

Peter Colijn

Apr 28, 2015, 2:00:49 PM4/28/15
to Bret Lobree, Scott Crosby, daveb...@gmail.com, matthew....@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I was thinking about it but I think it's too late now.

Krash

May 6, 2015, 1:22:06 PM5/6/15
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Holy crap Peter, that is pretty darn amazeballs!  I did DMD also (the Staff Ride & volunteered @ Mines Rd.), but could not fathom adding another mile after finishing it.  Thx for sharing.

/chris

Krash

Patrick Kitto

May 6, 2015, 2:37:45 PM5/6/15
to Guilherme Mauro Germoglio Barbosa, sf...@googlegroups.com
I'd be down to bike-pack it. tons of great campgrounds up that way.

Scott Johnston

May 6, 2015, 2:40:36 PM5/6/15
to Patrick Kitto, Guilherme Mauro Germoglio Barbosa, sf2g
I'd be down to bike-pack it.

+1, exactly what I was thinking.

-Scott

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "SF2G" group.

Jacky Schuler

May 6, 2015, 9:45:43 PM5/6/15
to highstru...@gmail.com, SF2G

wow. nice work Peter!