OT: new private ferry service

Andrew Stadler

May 17, 2016, 8:22:30 PM5/17/16
to SF2G
I signed up for announcements on http://www.propsf.net and they recently sent me this, which lays out proposed stops and rates.

I was disappointed to see an additional fee for bikes.

--Andy

Greetings Andrew,

Thank you for your email, we have been playing catch up getting back to everyone and am happy to finally get this message to you. Our public service is being approved and should be ready this summer. Seats on our public routes will be reserved for Prop members and available for individual purchase on a first come first serve basis.

Proposed Public Schedule:
Emeryville to SF 630 644
SF to Berkeley 646 700
Berkeley to SF 702 715
Berkeley to RWC 702 758
SF to RWC 717 758
RWC to SF 800 843
SF to Emeryville 845 900

Emeryville to SF 400 412
SF to Berkeley 415 430
Berkeley to SF 432 446
Berkeley to RWC 432 530
RWC to SF 532 545
SF to Emeryville 547 600
Emeryville to SF 603 615
SF to Emeryville 618 633

No weekend or ballgame schedule at this time but we will be adding routes in the future.

Proposed one-way rates:
East Bay - San Francisco, $10
San Francisco - Redwood City, $15
East Bay – Redwood City, $20

Estimated Time Duration:
East Bay – San Francisco: 11-14 minutes
San Francisco – Redwood City: 35-38 minutes
East Bay – Redwood City: 60-65 minutes

Membership with Prop will be part of our public service and the details of membership fees and ticketing are still in the works. We will be publishing a brochure with the details of membership and ticketing shortly and you will be able to download that off of our website. So keep checking in!

Bikes are allowed on Prop boats for an additional charge of $5, with consideration to limited space and passenger comfort.

Shuttle service is not currently available through Prop but we are looking into potential collaboration with local shuttle services. Two shuttle services you might look into include:  Emerygoround: http://www.emerygoround.com

Limited Private Service is currently running from Redwood City to San Francisco, departing at 8:00am and 9:00am and returning at 6:00pm. This private service is running now and extremely limited so please call James Jaber directly if this route fits your schedule.

Thank you so much for your interest in Prop. Check out our website and stay informed by following us on Facebook! If this message has not answered your questions do not hesitate to call or email again with additional inquiries about memberships, routes, and rates!

James Jaber
Captain | CEO

Tiffany Barr
Passenger Relations

Ken MacInnis

May 17, 2016, 8:26:15 PM5/17/16
to sta...@gmail.com, SF2G
That's almost 4X the actual ferry costs with a bike. What's the value add?

I would consider it if it went to MV/Sunnyvale, but it doesn't.
---

Peter Colijn

May 17, 2016, 8:31:28 PM5/17/16
to Ken MacInnis, Andrew Stadler, SF2G
I think the idea is that it's 35-38 minutes regardless of how f***ed up 101/280 are. But yeah, does seem pricey: almost 3x Caltrain, which is also not _usually_ affected by traffic.

Andrew Stadler

May 17, 2016, 8:47:55 PM5/17/16
to Peter Colijn, Ken MacInnis, SF2G
BTW I posted on their facebook wall "please reconsider your bike fee" and they responded almost immediately:

Thank you for the message! We carefully considered the fee and it's a way to manage bike traffic vs capacity. Also working on bike exchange so you can ride on when you get off!

Ken MacInnis

May 17, 2016, 8:51:52 PM5/17/16
to Andrew Stadler, Peter Colijn, SF2G
Wow. Unless they offer some kind of last-mile integration (they don't) penalizing bike users a priori is a great way to turf reception. Biz 101 fail to manage capacity with penalties - if you have a captive audience, maximize revenue before cutting costs.

Julia Johari

Jul 20, 2016, 4:40:49 PM7/20/16
to SF2G, sta...@gmail.com
How can a Ferry go to Mountain View or Sunnyvale?  The bay doesn't go that far down, lol!  I agree that the bike fee is a huge bummer, especially since the pick-up/departure points are not close to Bart or Caltrain.  $20 is doable, but not "affordable" for a 5 day commute.  I still can't wait for this service!  I know there is a lot of interest coming from folks who live in the Emeryville Marina - there are currently NO public ferries (that I'm aware of) that leave from that port.