Sat 26 Sep 0737 Pleasant Hill BART: quad-Diablo

djconnel

Sep 13, 2015, 11:57:48 AM9/13/15
to SF2G
inspired by the following, I realized my previous best 3x isn't at all impressive:

announcing early to gauge interest (not 100% yet):
BART: 6:51 @ 24th Street
BART: 6:53 @ 16th Street
BART: 7:00 @ Embarcadero
BART: 7:37 @ Pleasant Hill
North Gate: 8:00

plan: ride to North Gate for when it opens @ 8 am, climb North Gate - Summit, descend to Athenian School (South Gate), climb back to summit, descend to North Gate, repeat.
goal: 2nd climb from each side should be faster than the 1st climb from each side.  Climbs of Summit should each be faster than the preceding.  So start conservatively and ramp it up.

The whole thing should take around 7 hours.

Matt Redmond

Sep 14, 2015, 1:07:16 PM9/14/15
to djco...@gmail.com, SF2G
Ooh, now this sounds like the kind of insanity I can get behind. I'll check my schedule.

---

Dan Connelly

Sep 14, 2015, 1:23:42 PM9/14/15
to Matt Redmond, SF2G
Excellent!   So far it's you, me, Sindy Cho, and Ben Blizard/2.

No Everest Challenge this year so those wanting climbing excess at this point need to create their own.

Dan

Stephen Grenholm

Sep 14, 2015, 1:35:12 PM9/14/15
to SF2G
Sounds like a fun day (if the weather is reasonable)

And kudos, followed by a 'holy crap', for the Mt.Tam Hillclimb!

djconnel

Sep 20, 2015, 6:55:54 PM9/20/15
to SF2G
Having just gotten my a🚲🚲 kicked at Fremont Peak I'm looking forward to this as consolation....bump.

It will be fun.

djconnel

Sep 25, 2015, 5:53:47 PM9/25/15
to SF2G
Bump again.  I thought this would go viral.  But response has been tepid.  BTW if people want to ride less than 4 times that's okay as well.  But four's best.

Where's Ramesh?
-------------------------------------

djconnel

Sep 26, 2015, 10:01:57 AM9/26/15
to SF2G
We're packed onto the south BART car now.... At embarcadero.

djconnel

Sep 26, 2015, 8:19:31 PM9/26/15
to SF2G
Actually there were only two of us....
Diablo 1 went okay -- breathing through my nose pace.
Diablo 2 from S was harder -- mostly, but not always breathing through my nose.  But I definitely tried to keep a cap on the effort.
Diablo 3 is where things went terribly wrong.  Sindy, the other rider with me, got cramps but slowed down and eventually made it to the top, but was clearly over-heated.  I was okay until half-way up North Gate I felt like I was overheating and my legs went dead.  So it was suffer-fest from there to Juniper, where I stopped and refilled my empty bottles, drank some, and continued with much more success since it was cooling due to the altitude.  So I made Summit #3 but called it a day.  Still over 10kft of climbing.

High was 92F in Walnut Creek, substantially above the forecast, and my Garmin read 102F in the sun riding to Panera Bread for a smoothie.

I'll try again for 4 some other day -- and I hope more people join!  (Ramesh.... this means you, Ramesh!)

Bret Lobree

Sep 26, 2015, 8:22:16 PM9/26/15
to Dan Connelly, SF2G
Ramesh, Brooks, Colijn...other crazies...

I think Zach M of WPH did 3...fixed.

Matthew Kenaston

Sep 26, 2015, 8:25:34 PM9/26/15
to blo...@gmail.com, Dan Connelly, SF2G
I think I need to check this WPH thing out ...

Bret Lobree

Sep 26, 2015, 8:33:22 PM9/26/15
to Matthew Kenaston, Dan Connelly, SF2G
Yes...8 p.m.  on Mondays...it's hard from the gun...be aware that it's sometimes a little loose, but you don't have to ride it that way...Monday they are in the E. Bay. I'll let you know when I'm leading again.

djconnel

Sep 27, 2015, 11:31:55 AM9/27/15
to SF2G, matthew....@gmail.com, djco...@gmail.com
Riding hard on Mondays is surely against the Velominati Rules, unless it is part of a multi-day race.

Ramesh Brand

Oct 2, 2015, 5:18:46 PM10/2/15
to Dan Connelly, SF2G
On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 5:19 PM, djconnel <djco...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'll try again for 4 some other day -- and I hope more people join!  (Ramesh.... this means you, Ramesh!)

Ah, I am just seeing this Dan :)

I have done Triple Diablo quite a few times but never attempted Quadruple. I wish I could join you but I have been off my bike for several months for good. After being dumped by 2 of my ex-girl friend's, primarily due to my cycling obsession on all weekends, I have reached a saturation point that there are other things to do in life too rather than riding my bike all day long :)

Ramesh

Mark Kahn

Oct 2, 2015, 5:32:08 PM10/2/15
to SF2G, djco...@gmail.com
Ramesh - I hope you find a balance that works for you.  If it means no more cycling, then so be it...but IM(ns)HO, you do need to find a balance -- if you are riding all day, both days every weekend + regular commutes, I can see how riding could pose relationship challenges.  But, I think you would be better served keeping cycling as part of your life rather than going cold turkey.

Just my two cents...best of luck!

Dan Connelly

Oct 2, 2015, 5:49:02 PM10/2/15
to Mark Kahn, SF2G
I completely agree.  Ride early one day on the weekend.  That's all you really need.  There's a "Back By Noon" Strava group, for example: good long rides leaving @ 6:30 am from Arguello gate, back by noon.  That won't kill your social life, and if it does, it wasn't the right one anyway (IMVHO).

Dave Blizard

Oct 2, 2015, 6:04:08 PM10/2/15
to Dan Connelly, Mark Kahn, SF2G
Get a tandem and start asking "are you a good stoker?" as part of your dating pre-screening process. :)

Peter Colijn

Oct 2, 2015, 6:06:54 PM10/2/15
to Dan Connelly, Mark Kahn, SF2G
Yes, although.. you were trying to coax Ramesh into doing a quad diablo here, which is definitely more of an 'all day' venture :P

Yvonne Yip

Oct 2, 2015, 6:12:26 PM10/2/15
to daveb...@gmail.com, Dan Connelly, Mark Kahn, SF2G
Dave, I would be rather miffed if I'm asked this question on a date. No offense to stokers everywhere but just sayin'

Dave Blizard

Oct 2, 2015, 6:18:55 PM10/2/15
to Yvonne Yip, Dan Connelly, Mark Kahn, SF2G
Ahh.. yes.. must be delivered in a very "I'm not really being serious when I say this" style. :)

Dan Connelly

Oct 2, 2015, 6:24:36 PM10/2/15
to Peter Colijn, Mark Kahn, SF2G
This is a golden opportunity for him to ride all day.  The barn door and all that.

Peter Chang

Oct 2, 2015, 7:09:37 PM10/2/15
to SF2G

On Friday, October 2, 2015 at 3:04:08 PM UTC-7, blizzzz wrote:
Get a tandem and start asking "are you a good stoker?" as part of your dating pre-screening process. :)

i think i was a good enough of a stoker (based on one ride), but these things happen to other people, they don't happen at all, in fact...

\p

Robin Kutner

Oct 3, 2015, 5:21:22 PM10/3/15
to SF2G
@ramesh, just need to date a cyclist!
(or a distance runner. we understand, too.)

Erik Waher

Oct 4, 2015, 8:50:27 AM10/4/15
to robin....@gmail.com, SF2G

Ah but what about the social law which states that all cyclists of the opposite sex are already dating a cyclist? (who is invariably a p1/2 and faster than you)

Sorry to hear about your troubles Ramesh, but I also suggest not going cold turkey, you can ride 10hr a week easily and keep a social life. Just find a not-morning-person and be back before they even notice you've left. :)

Matt Redmond

Oct 9, 2015, 2:09:30 PM10/9/15
to ewa...@gmail.com, robin....@gmail.com, SF2G
@Erik that seems it would violate a whole number of graph invariants...