OT: Anyone have any glove recommendations?

Aaron Kanter

Jul 26, 2017, 2:56:31 PM7/26/17
to SF2G
There seem to be dozens available. Does anyone have any that they really love? I'm looking for cushioning while keeping my hands cool/dry. I don't mind spending money if it's really worth it - I'd rather drop $25 on something that will work well than $10 on something that will only get me halfway.

Ted Ketai

Jul 26, 2017, 3:11:46 PM7/26/17
to alka...@gmail.com, SF2G
I've found Specialized gloves seem to last longer than a lot of other gloves I've tried. I've been liking my enduros a lot, even for road biking. Nice overall balance of padding and flexibility and insulation.

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 11:56 AM, Aaron Kanter <alka...@gmail.com> wrote:
There seem to be dozens available. Does anyone have any that they really love? I'm looking for cushioning while keeping my hands cool/dry. I don't mind spending money if it's really worth it - I'd rather drop $25 on something that will work well than $10 on something that will only get me halfway.

---

steve armijo

Jul 26, 2017, 3:25:11 PM7/26/17
to alka...@gmail.com, SF2G
For a few years now I've been using Giro gloves. I use these as warm
weather gloves :
https://www.competitivecyclist.com/giro-hoxton-sf-glove
They're snug but not restrictive. The whole back of the glove is soft
if you run out of thumb as snot rag.

For cooler weather I have a long finger Giro gloves as well but I
don't have a handy link.

-s

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 11:56 AM, Aaron Kanter <alka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> --
> -- follow: http://twitter.com/sf2g | terms: http://sf2g.com/terms.html |
> bike prep: http://sf2g.com/bike-prep.html | unsub:
> http://groups.google.com/group/sf2g
> ---

Daniel Hobe

Jul 26, 2017, 3:27:28 PM7/26/17
to alka...@gmail.com, SF2G
I'm a fan of full finger gloves.  They're much easier to use to wipe sweat off your face - but I sweat a lot so that might not be a consideration for most people.

I've got a few pairs of these from Gore:

They're warm enough for most SF2G rides and seem to be fairly durable.

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 11:56 AM, Aaron Kanter <alka...@gmail.com> wrote:
There seem to be dozens available. Does anyone have any that they really love? I'm looking for cushioning while keeping my hands cool/dry. I don't mind spending money if it's really worth it - I'd rather drop $25 on something that will work well than $10 on something that will only get me halfway.

---

Daniel Hobe <ho...@gmail.com>

Aaron Hicks

Jul 26, 2017, 4:42:40 PM7/26/17
to SF2G
Ooooh, great thread.  https://www.rei.com/product/892709/pearl-izumi-pro-gel-vent-bike-gloves-mens are my favorite gloves ever.  The padding is nice, they have held up for years, and the gel vent does a better job of shedding sweat than other gloves.  https://www.rei.com/product/892708/pearl-izumi-elite-gel-bike-gloves-mens are even more comfortable for short rides(<4 hours), but because they have so much padding, they hold on to too much sweat for longer(> 6 hours) rides.  Also, while comfortable, they fell apart rather quickly.  Some of the reviews on the gel vent gloves say they fell apart quickly too, so maybe the quality has gone down on them; I'm still using the 2008 model.

I have a pair of fox mountain bike gloves that have very little padding, so I only wear them on short rides or if all my other gloves are dirty.  I've got another pair that I'm uncertain of the brand, but I think maybe it's a knock off of Louis-Garneau, that are a little stiff.  The gloves I like, I tried on in the store.  The gloves I dislike, I bought online because they were cheap.

Ken MacInnis

Jul 26, 2017, 4:50:36 PM7/26/17
to aaron...@gmail.com, SF2G
Another vote for Pearl Izumi. The older the pair, the better they are, I've found.

I still have a pair of the Slice model from c 2005 that will probably get me ridiculed in a metric century when I'm 75. I'd love to find some NOS of those.
---

jkkerouac

Jul 27, 2017, 12:24:56 AM7/27/17
to SF2G
Noticed a glove thread.
These are my favorite.  For short finger, cut the fingertips off.  As visible as you could want a glove to be, hold up nicely, and low cost enough to buy a few pairs at a time.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Firm-Grip-XX-Large-Safety-Pro-Work-Gloves-2005XXL/204297443?keyword=firm+grip+safety+pro

Nathan Dushman

Jul 27, 2017, 1:55:25 PM7/27/17
to SF2G
I like Giro gloves as well. I won a pair several years ago, destroyed them in a crash (they seem to have done their job in protecting my hands), and have since bought two more of the same. The specific ones I've been using are the Giro Gilman gloves, which probably aren't still made and were terribly wrong in their sizing (I have what I think are average-size hands and wear the XL), but as a result you can pick them up cheap. They're full-finger gloves with minimal padding and I wear them in all weather here, occasionally layering an additional pair of gloves over them when it's particularly cold.

Nathan

Ted Lesher_

Jul 27, 2017, 2:50:39 PM7/27/17
to SF2G
+1 for the pearl izumi elite gel glove. I have had them since this past fall and have no wear and tear issues. They are very comfy, and I don't find the sweat build up too bad. Actually I've never noticed it but maybe I will now that I read this thread ha!

Zak Jarvis

Jul 27, 2017, 3:12:26 PM7/27/17
to SF2G
I spent a lot of time trying to find the right padded gloves to help with hand pain & numbness.

In the end, I discovered zero padding was actually much more comfortable for me, and grip was more important anyway.

For about a year, I was using (and loving) Specialized Grail gloves, but they started falling apart and they're the opposite of inexpensive. Right now I'm using some Bontrager ones which are fine, but what I really want is a pair of fingerless leather gloves with a pull-tab or strap, and such a beasty doesn't exist. At least not without padding and a (for gloves) giant stack of money.

Yuanyu Chen

Jul 27, 2017, 3:35:15 PM7/27/17
to voidm...@gmail.com, SF2G
I'm learning from this thread that gloves, like saddles, are largely a personal preference :P

I would recommend you try gloves on at a store before guying so you know they at least fit.

I had a pair of giro gloves (something women's specific but I don't remember what -- was around $30ish) where the seam between thumb and palm crapped out after a few rides. It happened so soon that I was still within the return policy date for sports basement, so back they went. I don't think I'm overly aggressive with my gloves either - I currently swap between 2 pairs and they've lasted 2+ years and still don't look that worn.

Dan Sully

Jul 27, 2017, 4:01:51 PM7/27/17
to voidm...@gmail.com, SF2G
I'm looking at these: https://pedaled.com/#!/products/lightweight-gloves/black

For the exact same reason. No padding, all about grip. Stack of $$ though.

--dan

<dsully> please describe web 2.0 to me in 2 sentences or less.
<jwb> you make all the content. they keep all the revenue.

Ken Macinnis

Jul 27, 2017, 4:06:08 PM7/27/17
to Dan Sully, voidm...@gmail.com, SF2G
Going to also throw out there the pro-est of pro moves: good grippy bar tape and no gloves.

Ken

Medum Choe

Jul 27, 2017, 5:10:09 PM7/27/17
to SF2G
Specialized grail. They're 35 bucks but definitely worth it.

Matthew Hiller

Jul 28, 2017, 3:05:31 PM7/28/17
to SF2G
The thing that drives me crazy here is no company just makes the same glove year-in, year-out. It's like, if you find a glove you really like, you need to buy 12 pairs of them within months after your initial purchase, otherwise they won't be available any more when you really need them. Guess I'm saying I want a Brooks saddle of gloves.

I'm also hard on my gloves fsr; gloves wear out for me even faster than shorts do.