OT: Dear SF2G Parts bin... FD-5700?

Nathan Dushman

Mar 14, 2018, 5:12:13 PM3/14/18
to SF2G
Dear SF2G parts bin - does anyone happen to have an FD-5700 or similar front derailleur lying around that they'd like to give or sell to me? I'm re-building bike from accumulated parts, and there's already an FD-5700 on the frame, but it requires a lot of force to move and does not spring back. I'm also open to suggestions on what might be sticking and how I could get it to release (soak it in degreaser?). It's a clamp-on derailleur, but I think I have an adapter sitting around that will allow me to use a braze-on if that's all that's available.

Nathan

Christine Ryan

Mar 14, 2018, 5:20:39 PM3/14/18
to n...@abtech.org, SF2G
Let me look...I know I have SOME kind of FD.

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 2:12 PM Nathan Dushman <n...@abtech.org> wrote:
Dear SF2G parts bin - does anyone happen to have an FD-5700 or similar front derailleur lying around that they'd like to give or sell to me? I'm re-building bike from accumulated parts, and there's already an FD-5700 on the frame, but it requires a lot of force to move and does not spring back. I'm also open to suggestions on what might be sticking and how I could get it to release (soak it in degreaser?). It's a clamp-on derailleur, but I think I have an adapter sitting around that will allow me to use a braze-on if that's all that's available.

Nathan

---
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Jason Thorpe

Mar 14, 2018, 5:29:06 PM3/14/18
to Nathan Dushman, SF2G

On Mar 14, 2018, at 2:12 PM, Nathan Dushman <n...@abtech.org> wrote:

Dear SF2G parts bin - does anyone happen to have an FD-5700 or similar front derailleur lying around that they'd like to give or sell to me? I'm re-building bike from accumulated parts, and there's already an FD-5700 on the frame, but it requires a lot of force to move and does not spring back. I'm also open to suggestions on what might be sticking and how I could get it to release (soak it in degreaser?). It's a clamp-on derailleur, but I think I have an adapter sitting around that will allow me to use a braze-on if that's all that's available.

What size clamp?

Nathan

---

-- thorpej

Dave Blizard

Mar 14, 2018, 5:37:42 PM3/14/18
to tho...@me.com, Nathan Dushman, SF2G
I've always trusted "PB Blaster" for unsticking things that are stuck. Mostly used on a vintage Vespa scooter but I'm sure it could work for the bike. Note: May require multiple applications over a few days to be affective.

Dave Blizard

Nathan Dushman

Mar 14, 2018, 6:12:48 PM3/14/18
to SF2G
On Wednesday, March 14, 2018 at 2:29:06 PM UTC-7, thorpej wrote:

What size clamp?

Looks like 34.9mm. It's for a 2012 Cannondale Alloy Synapse.

Zak Jarvis

Mar 14, 2018, 8:53:58 PM3/14/18
to n...@abtech.org, SF2G
If you're willing to come to my place in Pacifica (it's up on Skyline, not down the hill), you're welcome to the parts I've got.

What I've got:

2012 era Ultegra bits -- both shifters, front & rear derailleur, cassette (dunno the specs. I'd guess 11-28 10 speed?), plus a set of aluminum FSA handlebars. Basically all the stuff that got replaced on my fancy road bike when I upgraded to DI2. It's all got some miles on it, but not much. I'm thinking 400-500? I don't know the part numbers on any of it because it was built for me.

I've also three different saddles (I learned that cutouts Are Not For Me after trying three different ones with cutouts) and a couple pair of pedals (spd-sl, flats).