Team bike challenge rules now up

Alexandre Passos

Apr 3, 2017, 12:08:20 PM4/3/17
to SF2G
https://teambikechallenge.com/

And due to us, I believe, there's a new rule...

Who's in for partycar.com?
--
 - Alexandre

Georgia Andrews

Apr 3, 2017, 1:17:20 PM4/3/17
to Alexandre Passos, SF2G
Is it the changing team members one?

I'm happy to join a slacker SF2SF team, especially since my company is too small to do well this year. (there's 3 of us, and the category is 1-50 people)

---

Director of Engineering @ RideAlongWomen Who Code San Francisco City Director

Alexandre Passos

Apr 3, 2017, 1:18:16 PM4/3/17
to Georgia Andrews, SF2G
Yes.
--
 - Alexandre

Peter Colijn

Apr 3, 2017, 2:20:56 PM4/3/17
to Alexandre Passos, Georgia Andrews, SF2G
Hm, they don't say whether it's still going to be the points thing, or something else (just raw distance or whatever). Anyway, I'm probably in unless somebody wants my spot.

Yvonne Yip

Apr 3, 2017, 2:21:01 PM4/3/17
to Alexandre Passos, Georgia Andrews, SF2G
I'm down to join, since I'm dumb.

Yvonne Yip

Apr 3, 2017, 2:22:55 PM4/3/17
to SF2G
Oh, I'm also willing to give up my spot for somebody who's likely to do more miles than I do (I can hit the minimum but probably not do as many extra miles as other people)

Alexandre Passos

Apr 3, 2017, 2:29:09 PM4/3/17
to Yvonne, SF2G
I don't promise anything grandiose either specially with me trying to work from sf when I can, but I do promise to rack up all points if that's still a thing we can do.
 - Alexandre

Peter Colijn

Apr 3, 2017, 2:34:56 PM4/3/17
to Alexandre Passos, Yvonne, SF2G
Yeah I have mixed feelings if they change it a raw miles thing. Because then you could a 'day off', but then also shit could get _really_ crazy... :-/

steve armijo

Apr 3, 2017, 3:42:32 PM4/3/17
to caffeine, Alexandre Passos, Yvonne, SF2G
I am curious what Peter thinks '_really_ crazy' is if it isn't his
prior performances. :)

-s

>>> --
>>> -- follow: http://twitter.com/sf2g | terms: http://sf2g.com/terms.html |
>>> bike prep: http://sf2g.com/bike-prep.html | unsub:
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/sf2g
>>> ---
>>

>> --
>> - Alexandre
>>
>> --
>> -- follow: http://twitter.com/sf2g | terms: http://sf2g.com/terms.html |
>> bike prep: http://sf2g.com/bike-prep.html | unsub:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/sf2g
>> ---
>

> --
> -- follow: http://twitter.com/sf2g | terms: http://sf2g.com/terms.html |
> bike prep: http://sf2g.com/bike-prep.html | unsub:
> http://groups.google.com/group/sf2g
> ---

Georgia Andrews

Apr 3, 2017, 5:13:07 PM4/3/17
to steve armijo, caffeine, Alexandre Passos, Yvonne, SF2G
if they start judging by # of trips, I'm all over that

>>> --
>>> -- follow: http://twitter.com/sf2g | terms: http://sf2g.com/terms.html |
>>> bike prep: http://sf2g.com/bike-prep.html | unsub:
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/sf2g
>>> ---

>> --
>>  - Alexandre
>>
>> --
>> -- follow: http://twitter.com/sf2g | terms: http://sf2g.com/terms.html |
>> bike prep: http://sf2g.com/bike-prep.html | unsub:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/sf2g
>> ---

> --
> -- follow: http://twitter.com/sf2g | terms: http://sf2g.com/terms.html |
> bike prep: http://sf2g.com/bike-prep.html | unsub:
> http://groups.google.com/group/sf2g
> ---

---

Alexandre Passos

Apr 3, 2017, 5:34:41 PM4/3/17
to Georgia Andrews, steve armijo, caffeine, Yvonne, SF2G
Poking around the app they seem to have "quest points" this time instead of the old points system. There's a quest (+25 points) for riding a century, "competitive california" (+10 points for riding 17 miles). Most of these look inactive and the active ones are for 5 points for burning 78 calories, 10 points for burning 172 and 20 points for burning 688 (that escalated quickly...).
--
 - Alexandre

Christine Windsor

Apr 3, 2017, 6:43:54 PM4/3/17
to Alexandre Passos, Georgia Andrews, steve armijo, caffeine, Yvonne, SF2G
I'll join an sf2sf team. Last year my slacker team made it to top 3 in SF. So I'm pretty proud of that. I can check to see if Partycar Alumni is still my team. Anyone is free to join. I'm not insane like Peter. I want to have a life outside of biking.

Peter Chang

Apr 5, 2017, 11:30:22 AM4/5/17
to SF2G

Le lundi 3 avril 2017 15:43:54 UTC-7, Christine Windsor a écrit :
I'm not insane like Peter. I want to have a life outside of biking.

yeah, insane in a different way.

in for btfwm but where work is now ~8k further.

\p

Matthew Kenaston

Apr 5, 2017, 11:22:11 PM4/5/17
to SF2G
a) I still remember how to ride bikes
b) I won't be much good to the Hill Climb team this year so okay to drop me
c) is it just me, or is the tbc app a complete disappointment?

Alexandre Passos

Apr 5, 2017, 11:40:33 PM4/5/17
to Matthew Kenaston, SF2G
So this looks like five people:
 1. Colijn
 2. Yvonne
 3. Chang
 4. Matt
 5. Alex

I created a team on the app thingy called partycar.com (old teams were deleted) but I'm having a hard time (errors happen) when I try to invite any of you. I wonder if there's a way for you all to try to join?

---

 - Alexandre

Yvonne Yip

Alexandre Passos

Alexandre Passos

Apr 5, 2017, 11:55:50 PM4/5/17
to Matthew Kenaston, SF2G
Update: Matt said he was just sandbagging and not actually volunteering, so we still have a slot. Who is in?
--
 - Alexandre

Matthew Kenaston

Apr 6, 2017, 12:05:34 AM4/6/17
to SF2G
@alex - that's cold. I'm way better at sandbagging when I'm actually riding with some degree of regularity. But hey, nice to see you think I've still got it

Georgia Andrews

Apr 6, 2017, 10:59:23 AM4/6/17
to Matthew Kenaston, SF2G
Other people *can* join the team, I did just to try it but now I can't figure out how to leave. Maybe when I join the sf2sf one? Or Alex can boot me?

It also doesn't let me copy/paste into the password field or use my password manager so that's a massive pain in the ass.

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 9:05 PM, Matthew Kenaston <matthew....@gmail.com> wrote:
@alex - that's cold. I'm way better at sandbagging when I'm actually riding with some degree of regularity. But hey, nice to see you think I've still got it
---

Alexandre Passos

Apr 6, 2017, 11:00:22 AM4/6/17
to Georgia, Matthew Kenaston, SF2G
It doesn't let copy-pasting happen anywhere as far as I can tell :-/
 - Alexandre

Christine Windsor

Apr 17, 2017, 4:42:54 PM4/17/17
to Alexandre Passos, Georgia, Matthew Kenaston, SF2G
I just joined my company team and I had to use an email that wasn't already on TBC - which makes no sense at all and now my Strava isn't linked because different emails. (Seriously, are we that short on competent programmers that they're hiring uncaffeinated monkeys?)
Also, I hope no one else is going for team category because I don't think you can beat the Lucid Motors team:

Alexandre Passos

Apr 17, 2017, 4:43:47 PM4/17/17
to Christine Windsor, Georgia, Matthew Kenaston, SF2G
Wait we can link strava?
--
 - Alexandre

Alexandre Passos

Apr 17, 2017, 4:49:31 PM4/17/17
to Christine Windsor, Georgia, Matthew Kenaston, SF2G
So apparently each quest can be completed as many times as you want. A single ride can complete more than one quest but the quests it completes have to be "active" when the ride happens. There are ~30-ish quests total.

We should figure out what is the maximum points one can get out of an sf2g commute ride and just do that in a loop.
--
 - Alexandre

Christine Windsor

Apr 17, 2017, 4:51:32 PM4/17/17
to Alexandre Passos, Georgia, Matthew Kenaston, SF2G
Yeah, click on your profile and the the gear in the top right. Scroll down and there is a Strava button. It doesn't automatically add the rides - you need to click on the button basically everyday for it to pull the rides and then click upload. It will when clicked check Strava for rides though - it claims that only rides marked as commute count but that doesn't mesh with the rules because you're supposed to bike to the supermarket and opera etc and those aren't commutes (unless you work at one of those places).

Yvonne Yip

Apr 17, 2017, 4:52:33 PM4/17/17
to Christine Windsor, Alexandre Passos, Georgia, Matthew Kenaston, SF2G
Do you still have to do the 20mi/day thing or it's all quests?

Alexandre Passos

Apr 17, 2017, 4:52:35 PM4/17/17
to Christine Windsor, Georgia, Matthew Kenaston, SF2G
They also happily took my slo ride even though that was a loop.
--
 - Alexandre

Christine Windsor

Apr 17, 2017, 4:53:17 PM4/17/17
to Alexandre Passos, Georgia, Matthew Kenaston, SF2G
Also new rule for this year: all rides must be added the same damn day - no storing it up and logging everything at the end of the week to avoid using the crappy website.

Alexandre Passos

Apr 17, 2017, 5:03:38 PM4/17/17
to Yvonne Yip, Christine Windsor, Georgia, Matthew Kenaston, SF2G
As far as I can tell it's all quests; the only place I can see points in the leaderboards it's called "quest points".

I don't know how do they do their calorie math but if I assume it's linear they gave me about 44 calories per mile of cycling, so a bayway (40mi to google) should get me 1760 calories which should get 50 points with the "buns of steel" (688 calories, 20 points) and 25 mpb (1075 calories, 30 points). I'll try this next time I bayway. Unclear if I can double-dip and also add 25 points for cookie monster (900 calories). It's hard to figure out what is the points total for each quest from the html5 app though.

Maybe I'll be bored one of these days and make a list.
--
 - Alexandre

Yuanyu Chen

Apr 17, 2017, 5:20:43 PM4/17/17
to alexan...@gmail.com, Yvonne Yip, Christine Windsor, Georgia, Matthew Kenaston, SF2G
Wait, doesn't calorie-based just penalize the small people?

Director of Engineering @ RideAlongWomen Who Code San Francisco City Director

---

 - Alexandre

---

 - Alexandre

---

---

 - Alexandre

---

Alexandre Passos

Apr 17, 2017, 5:21:57 PM4/17/17
to Yuanyu Chen, Yvonne Yip, Christine Windsor, Georgia, Matthew Kenaston, SF2G
They don't know your size when measuring calories, so I assume they just count miles and multiply (incidentally googling for bike calories per mile gives you numbers ranging from 40 to 47, and I guesstimate that they're using 45, so...)

Director of Engineering @ RideAlongWomen Who Code San Francisco City Director

---

 - Alexandre

---

 - Alexandre

---

---

 - Alexandre

---

 - Alexandre

Alexandre Passos

Apr 17, 2017, 5:23:04 PM4/17/17
to Yuanyu Chen, Yvonne Yip, Christine Windsor, Georgia, Matthew Kenaston, SF2G
They also have "pounds of co2 saved" which I again assume it's miles-based (1.8 seems to be the going rate here).
--
 - Alexandre

Georgia Andrews

Apr 17, 2017, 5:59:04 PM4/17/17
to Alexandre Passos, Yuanyu Chen, Yvonne Yip, Christine Windsor, Matthew Kenaston, SF2G
I had a brief moment of panic about whether or not it's May yet., thanx all. I entered this morning's half mile commute and that was some of the worst UX for entering points on a map. Whoever decided they could do one frontend across 3 platforms was terribly wrong.

Looks like they still rank teams by mileage?

Also @Christine I didn't see an SF2SF team or non .com partycar team - I can't seem to access any sort of join/create interface either way though.

Christine Windsor

Apr 17, 2017, 6:37:24 PM4/17/17
to Georgia Andrews, Alexandre Passos, Yuanyu Chen, Yvonne Yip, Matthew Kenaston, SF2G
I think the only way to join a team is to do it at the beginning. I didn't create a team when I joined and now I'm not sure I can... has anyone been successful? Has anyone joined a team after they joined the challenge?

Alexandre Passos

Apr 17, 2017, 6:38:49 PM4/17/17
to Christine Windsor, Georgia Andrews, Yuanyu Chen, Yvonne Yip, Matthew Kenaston, SF2G
I created a team the day I joined and since then yvonne and georgia have managed to join it (and I managed to kick georgia out).

In their weird UI team names and people names are case-sensitive, which tripped me up a bunch.
--
 - Alexandre

Georgia Andrews

Apr 17, 2017, 6:39:30 PM4/17/17
to Christine Windsor, Yvonne Yip, Matthew Kenaston, SF2G, Yuanyu Chen, Alexandre Passos
Also I thought the challenge started in may?

Peter Colijn

Apr 17, 2017, 6:40:11 PM4/17/17
to Georgia A, Christine Windsor, Yvonne Yip, Matthew Kenaston, SF2G, Yuanyu Chen, Alexandre Passos
It does start in May. I think everyone is just trying to get used to the new app/site/etc, because the rules are so different this year.

Alexandre Passos

Apr 17, 2017, 6:40:27 PM4/17/17
to Georgia Andrews, Christine Windsor, Yvonne Yip, Matthew Kenaston, SF2G, Yuanyu Chen
It does, but you can submit stuff now to try the UI out (since it is not intuitive)

On Mon, Apr 17, 2017 at 3:39 PM, Georgia Andrews <and.ge...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
 - Alexandre

Peter Chang

Apr 17, 2017, 7:00:09 PM4/17/17
to SF2G
i don't understand, if i go to the site it doesn't mention anything about quests (or favorite colors or english footbal results). is there something i actually need to do? (they did say i needed to reset my password or something for their new system, but i've yet to try given that may is ~two weeks away).

\p

Georgia Andrews

Apr 17, 2017, 7:07:14 PM4/17/17
to Alexandre Passos, Christine Windsor, Yvonne Yip, Matthew Kenaston, SF2G, Yuanyu Chen
Yeah, that's why I'm confused about the inability to join/create teams right now.

@ pfc I think you'll have to log in to see all that.

Peter Chang

Apr 17, 2017, 8:03:10 PM4/17/17
to SF2G

Le lundi 17 avril 2017 16:07:14 UTC-7, Georgia a écrit :

@ pfc I think you'll have to log in to see all that.

i need to enable webgl to use this? wtf? screw that.

\p

BikinHowd

Apr 18, 2017, 12:16:19 PM4/18/17
to SF2G
It is the points thing, one point for every mile and 20 extra points each day one rides. I argued against the 20 extra but the powers that be think those extra 20 encourage folks... I personally feel it encourages slackers like the guy in my area who rides one frickin' mile per day... and gets 21 points per day. I typically ride 30 miles three times a week and this guy winds up with as many points as I do... just my opinion...

Alexandre Passos

Apr 20, 2017, 12:46:22 AM4/20/17
to htm...@gmail.com, SF2G
Assuming the preliminary counting thing is correct they do let you finish a quest more than once but you only get points the first time. A single ride can only count for your active quests, but it seems like you can take more than one ride to finish a quest (checking this tomorrow)