(OT) Ride suggestions around north Lake Tahoe?

Cordelia Link

Aug 22, 2016, 4:15:56 PM8/22/16
to SF2G
Starting and ending here:

I don't think I have time for a full lake loop, so looking for suggestions for a shorter ride, probably max 4 hours likely on the road bike though I could bring the cross bike if there's something particularly compelling. Any ideas?

John Murphy

Aug 22, 2016, 4:22:39 PM8/22/16
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Go to Strava and search for Troy Evans.
--
---

Lina Mårtensson

Aug 22, 2016, 4:27:08 PM8/22/16
to Cordelia Link, SF2G
You might actually be able to do the lake ride in <= 4 hours. I think I've done it in about ~3.5 before - it's surprisingly fast if you do it with no stops, I suppose because you have pretty much no lights, it's not a ton of climbing, and I suppose you get a slight gain due to being at altitude, but that would be pretty marginal.

---

Beckett Madden-Woods

Aug 22, 2016, 4:30:08 PM8/22/16
to Lina Mårtensson, Cordelia Link, SF2G
Lake loop is only about 4 hours moving time. Under 4 hours is definitely doable, but it'd be a really fast ride.

Up Mt. Rose and back is fun and fairly quick, but it's a real climb: 2600' up from the Hwy 431 turn-off. I've never done the back (North) side of that, but it's supposed to be nice. I might be checking out the North side, since I'll happen to be up there later this week.

Patrick Kitto

Aug 23, 2016, 12:39:55 PM8/23/16
to Beckett Madden-Woods, Lina Mårtensson, Cordelia Link, SF2G
Fiberboard Freeway is pretty rad. low (see: practically no) traffic, and paved from the East side.

you can out-and-back it if you want to keep it on tarmac, or suck up some roadie dirt on the west end and loop it on North Lakeshore.

If you do take the corss bike, i think the Flume trail is pretty cross bike friendly and super duper rad. I'd say ride the highway to Spooner summit, and then ride the flume downhill. That section of the lake loop is my favorite- best views and fast smooth pavement and flat-ish grades. Then descend Tunnel Creek Road. The section of the TRT to the north would be hairy on a cross bike.

Bret Lobree

Aug 23, 2016, 1:17:46 PM8/23/16
to Patrick Kitto, Beckett Madden-Woods, Lina Mårtensson, Cordelia Link, SF2G
Dammit Kitto, where were you with this route when I went adventuring on my road bike?

Fiberboard freeway was totally doable on a road bike and had I known how to get to North Lake I most certainly would have done that on this ride.

1T

Cordelia Link

Aug 23, 2016, 2:28:16 PM8/23/16
to SF2G, patric...@gmail.com, bec...@beckettmw.com, lina.ma...@gmail.com, cordel...@gmail.com
Patrick, what's the correct way to access the Flume Trail on a cross bike? Like this on the road?

Or by the parallel trail?

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 1:15 PM, Cordelia Link <cordel...@gmail.com> wrote:
Starting and ending here:

I don't think I have time for a full lake loop, so looking for suggestions for a shorter ride, probably max 4 hours likely on the road bike though I could bring the cross bike if there's something particularly compelling. Any ideas?

---

---

---

---

Andrew Stadler

Aug 23, 2016, 2:32:43 PM8/23/16
to Bret Lobree, Patrick Kitto, Beckett Madden-Woods, Lina Mårtensson, Cordelia Link, SF2G
I read a couple of pages about the route but couldn't find an answer - does anyone know why it's called that?​

Patrick Kitto

Aug 23, 2016, 4:07:49 PM8/23/16
to Cordelia Link, SF2G, Beckett Madden-Woods, Lina Mårtensson
one of those is not bike legal. It will be signed when you get there.

Patrick Kitto

Aug 23, 2016, 4:14:01 PM8/23/16
to Andrew Stadler, Bret Lobree, Beckett Madden-Woods, Lina Mårtensson, Cordelia Link, SF2G
Fiberboard freeway or the flume trail?

i have no clue on the fiberboard freeway, but for the flume trail i quick google search gave me this: "In the late 19th century, Sierra Nevada Wood and Lumber Company transported its wares – raw lumber – down the east side of the mountains to the mines in Nevada by means of a wooden flume. What remains of the flume – some nails, metal brackets, and warped wood – lies discarded along the steep banks of the Flume Trail."

and this post has some pictures. I did forget to mention you may have to walk a few sections. but the views are super rad.

Ted Lesher_

Aug 23, 2016, 4:44:26 PM8/23/16
to SF2G
This was a fun, easy to follow loop I did recently!

Erik Waher

Aug 23, 2016, 4:59:57 PM8/23/16
to ted.p....@gmail.com, SF2G
Was just up in Tahoe - South of Tahoe City on hwy 89 is being renovated. Not that you can't ride there but the shoulder is removed in many areas. Not the greatest time to be riding there. Construction is halted on weekends, but active during the week.

---

Marcelo Vanzin

Aug 23, 2016, 5:23:30 PM8/23/16
to SF2G
267 is definitely fun, but 89 (even when there's no construction) is kind of a slog. Maybe just turn around and climb your way back to Kings Beach. :-)

Donner Pass Rd is a beautiful climb also, but kinda far if you have a time constraint. (Check the Tahoe Sierra Century routes.)

Andrew Stadler

Aug 23, 2016, 8:44:38 PM8/23/16
to Patrick Kitto, Bret Lobree, Beckett Madden-Woods, Lina Mårtensson, Cordelia Link, SF2G
My bad, I was curious about fiberboard freeway.

Patrick Kitto

Aug 24, 2016, 12:22:11 PM8/24/16
to Andrew Stadler, Bret Lobree, Beckett Madden-Woods, Lina Mårtensson, Cordelia Link, SF2G

Andrew Stadler

Aug 24, 2016, 12:37:50 PM8/24/16
to Patrick Kitto, Bret Lobree, Beckett Madden-Woods, Lina Mårtensson, Cordelia Link, SF2G
tl;dr:  "The freeway began as a logging road owned by the Fibreboard Corporation."

Thanks!

Cordelia Link

Aug 24, 2016, 7:30:00 PM8/24/16
to SF2G, patric...@gmail.com, blo...@gmail.com, bec...@beckettmw.com, lina.ma...@gmail.com, cordel...@gmail.com
Followup: broke a spoke on the road en route to the Flume trail. Tried going on for a bit anyway, but the wheel was too out of true :( Hitched a ride back from some mountain bikers with a pickup truck. Hopefully mountain biking tomorrow goes better.