OT: mori ridge trail. roadbikeable?

Rob

Nov 14, 2017, 12:01:17 AM11/14/17
to SF2G
http://www.cityofpacifica.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?blobid=2784 says it's paved but it also says that about banquiano. thinking about trying it out wed or fri on the climb out of pacifica.

Alexandre Passos

Nov 14, 2017, 12:18:11 AM11/14/17
to Rob Manchester, SF2G
I've carried my road bike up it. Does that count?

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 9:01 PM, Rob <rob...@manchero.org> wrote:
http://www.cityofpacifica.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?blobid=2784 says it's paved but it also says that about banquiano. thinking about trying it out wed or fri on the climb out of pacifica.

---

 - Alexandre

Alexandre Passos

Nov 14, 2017, 12:18:42 AM11/14/17
to Rob Manchester, SF2G
(it's a wide very rutted very steep fire road)
--
 - Alexandre

Patrick Lea

Nov 14, 2017, 12:37:32 AM11/14/17
to Alexandre Passos, Rob Manchester, SF2G
To quote someone from partycar.
"Do you like hiking?"
Me: "Yeah"
Them: "Then it is road bikeable"

Jordan Kestler

Nov 14, 2017, 12:56:35 AM11/14/17
to patri...@gmail.com, Alexandre Passos, Rob Manchester, SF2G
Morning Ridge Trail is absolutely a hike if you're on a road bike.

Even if you're on cx bike you'll need a gear way easier than 1:1, and some big tires.

Even if you're on a mountain bike it will be a really tough climb, and you might still have to hike.

Even if you're hiking in hiking boots and you don't have a bike, it would be a really tough climb.

If you go one ridge over and climb up fassler to Baquaino trail, you could maybe do most of that on a road bike, but might need to hike a little bit on the lower sections.

Bret Lobree

Nov 14, 2017, 1:12:20 AM11/14/17
to jordan...@gmail.com, Rob Manchester, SF2G, ammon
I bet Ammon has ridden/hiked up it.

ammon

ammon

Nov 14, 2017, 1:27:40 AM11/14/17
to SF2G
Also, regarding getting to Baquiano, traffic on Fassler can be annoying since there's no shoulder. You can avoid the worst of Fassler with:
- a planet of the apes-like old pavement section by the bowling alley to Roberts Rd: https://www.strava.com/segments/16278608
- then riding dirt along Fassler, the first half of which was recently paved for a new neighborhood of mansions: https://www.strava.com/segments/4555316. This adds a little extra climbing as you descend from the water tower down to Fassler on pavement.

Yvonne Yip

Nov 14, 2017, 2:08:27 AM11/14/17
to skidp...@gmail.com, SF2G
Good tips on the approach, Ammon! Going to try that next time.

Baquiano is great. I thought it’s not that steep as far as dirt goes. The steepest bits of Fassler and the first very short bit after the gate is the worst for me. The very top section had been fenced off and super rutted since the spring though, so I’ve always walked on the side and might have missed the worst grades?

I enjoyed walking my bike on Mori Ridge...

BTW, has anyone ridden the other trails in San Pedro Valley Park/McNee Ranch Park? I know there are DH trails somewhere nearby but anything else worth checking out for people who don’t own a full face helmet?

Rob

Nov 14, 2017, 8:38:52 AM11/14/17
to SF2G
Thanks! I've cleared banquiano with a standard though I was a bit stronger back then. I'll plop an 11-32 cassette on and give it a shot. Will have to try that alternate to fassler the next time up banquiano.

Rob

Rob

Nov 14, 2017, 9:01:11 PM11/14/17
to SF2G
From mcnee can ride up n peak access rd to montera mtn. I’m aiming to do that in the next week as I’ve heard the poison oak is cut back on the PoTA approach.

Rob

Nov 15, 2017, 5:37:32 PM11/15/17
to SF2G

On Tuesday, November 14, 2017 at 5:38:52 AM UTC-8, Rob wrote:
Thanks! I've cleared banquiano with a standard though I was a bit stronger back then. I'll plop an 11-32 cassette on and give it a shot. Will have to try that alternate to fassler the next time up banquiano.

my vote is road-bikeable. fell over twice on my attempt today but I think I'll clear it given a few more attempts. steep pitch by water tower need to charge a little more, i was holding back and fell over. almost cleared the steep bit by the top but fell over as it flattened out. dirt was sticky enough that I could stand on the steeps with smooth pedal strokes. If I wasn't able to stand I'd probably still be out there hiking up.

28mm conti 4 seasons, 50-34 crank, 11-32 cassette.