Best Buddies Challenge?

David Goldsmith

Jul 18, 2016, 7:35:16 PM7/18/16
to SF2G
Has anyone here done Best Buddies?

If so, could you please post a little about what to expect - good ride,
well-supported, food quality etc.?

Anyone else on SF2G thinking of doing it?

Riding down Highway 1 is on my bucket list. Best Buddies looks like a
nice option.

Thanks,

David

--
I'm riding in the Best Buddies Challenge on September 10
100 miles down the California coast, 7,000 feet of climbing!

Darrin Ward

Jul 18, 2016, 7:59:53 PM7/18/16
to d...@dgolds.com, SF2G
1550 fundraising + 50 entry for a one day 100 mile event?

riding down highway 1 would be awesome but that's a little to much on the fundraising end for me.

Faye

Jul 19, 2016, 1:14:39 AM7/19/16
to SF2G, d...@dgolds.com, Scott Crosby, Brian Kemler
I know Scott Crosby has done this ride before!
Brian Kemler may have done it too... or maybe he did a different one (I added them to the CC line).
I think Scott said it was pretty luxurious, but it has been a long time, so I don't remember.

Scott Crosby

Jul 21, 2016, 2:12:32 AM7/21/16
to Faye, SF2G, d...@dgolds.com, Brian Kemler
I haven't actually done BB. looks good but I didn't ever make it happen.

I did do something more akin to the aids ride -- the Challenged Athletes Foundation's big fundraiser, which goes from SF to San Diego, called the Million Dollar Challenge. it's a bit longer and a lot smaller (~150 riders) than aids/lifecycle and is pretty swanky -- all the hotels, massages, and beer you can drink. I dug it the most.  the catch is you have to raise at least $10k (now it's $12.5k I see), but I'd say it's totally worth just paying it yourself, especially if you work for a company that does charity match. then it's a no-brainer.

the other cool thing about it -- it's small enough to go down CA-1, so you get all the cool Big Sur riding you want.

Ted Ketai

Jul 22, 2016, 1:58:06 PM7/22/16
to Scott Crosby, Faye, SF2G, d...@dgolds.com, Brian Kemler
My old company got the spiel about BB one time and to be honest it kinda creeped me out a bit. It's a ton of minimum fundraising for a one day ride, and then at the end they have different "levels" of party you get into based on how much extra you raised above the minimum, which is weird to me. Like if you raise $5k extra you get to go in the nicer pool and if you raise $10k extra the chairman's wife gives you a lap dance or whatever. I'm sure it's a good cause and all, but honestly if I'm going to put that much effort into raising that much money, I can think of a lot of other charities I'd rather put that time and effort towards.

Ted Ketai

Jul 22, 2016, 1:59:56 PM7/22/16
to Scott Crosby, Faye, SF2G, d...@dgolds.com, Brian Kemler
Also, Scott please return for a minute to the land of people who don't have money. I'd like to live where $6000 for a bike ride is a "no brainer."

David Goldsmith

Jul 22, 2016, 2:18:54 PM7/22/16
to tke...@gmail.com, Scott Crosby, Faye, SF2G, Brian Kemler
So far, I've only been able to find one person who's done the event (friend of Peter's), but she says it's pretty great.

I agree with you and Darrin, the minimum fundraise is definitely on the high side, and the levels thing is sure weird. Even more odd - I can't bring a guest (Chris, who's driving me down) to the afterparty - unless I reach 3K, which is double the minimum. I can't even buy a ticket to it for him, they don't sell admission to the afterparty, you can only fundraise your way in.

But, on the other hand, I have a nephew who's directly affected by the issue this organization addresses - he's got severe autism - and he's been mainstreamed in the workplace by a similar organization, which is an amazingly wonderful thing, so the event kind of hits home.

Anyway - shameless plug - if anyone wants to contribute to help people like my nephew, and help Chris get to the afterparty, pledge me at https://www.bestbuddieschallenge.org/hc/support/#dg

If I don't hit the goal needed for the extra afterparty ticket, I'll be spending a lovely day riding down Highway 1 (bucket list item for me), and then Chris and I will have a great time hanging out in Cambria afterwards.

Bruce Garretson

Jul 22, 2016, 10:46:39 PM7/22/16
to SF2G
I did the ride twice. Very well organized. Extremely beautiful route. Inevitably somebody slams on the brakes in the bunch ride in the Carmel section and a lot of riders almost go down. Do be a bit careful on the decents as there are quite a few weekend warriors who do not have the skills to match their speed. I had contacts to be part of the SVB team previously but not likely to happen this year. Gung ho guys at the front if you want to use this to get your century PR.

Brian Kemler

Jul 27, 2016, 1:06:43 AM7/27/16
to d...@dgolds.com, Ted Ketai, Scott Crosby, Faye, SF2G
I have not done this, yet :)

djconnel

Jul 29, 2016, 8:48:40 PM7/29/16
to SF2G
Lead group is a hammer fest with George Gincapie and friends. Last year I hear Christine Thorborn was the only woman who could hang: she's a rheumatolist at PAMF now, having retired from racing. While none of the pro/elite women there were able to hang (recognize this may not have been a priority).

I think if you like the charity the fundraising justifies itself: more days = more expenses = (ideally) less to charity (it's a bit more complicated I realize). I've spoken with several people who've volunteered or been otherwise involved, and they all liked it.