OT: Can I use Strava for iPhone while in "low power" mode?

Justin!

Apr 28, 2016, 1:23:42 PM4/28/16
to SF2G
I want to record the GPC this weekend using Strava on my iPhone (my Garmin consistently crashes in warm weather, i.e., when the temps get above about 70 or 75 degrees) and I'd rather not carry an auxiliary battery.  Anyone know if "low power" mode would have any negative impact on Strava's ability to track my ride?  This is on a 6s.  It might have enough battery life to record the whole thing, but I figured I'd use low power mode just to be safe.  I tried using Strava while on low power mode on a hike last weekend and it seemed to work fine.

I will do the usual stuff to save battery life as well:

turn off email push
turn off other location services apps
turn off bluetooth
leave wifi on (supposedly helps with GPS reception)
maybe turn off health (the pedometer app)
maybe turn down screen brightness
turn off other apps (although this isn't supposed to matter)

anything else?

ammon

Apr 28, 2016, 1:49:30 PM4/28/16
to SF2G
While I've only had trouble with my ancient Garmin Edge 500 in rain (like when it lost the Spring Classic SF to Santa Cruz), I like to use my 6S for backup recording. Sometimes I'll pick the phone's recording over the Garmin's depending on which was more accurate in the Santa Cruz mountains.

I always do long recordings with low power mode set. It definitely helps and I've seen no loss in data or gps accuracy. The best way to keep battery life is to never use the screen. In my use, battery life is more proportional to how many pictures I've taken during the ride than leaving Strava running.

Other than that I don't do anything outside of normal use for the rides. I always have email push off (why should anyone on the internet be allowed to interrupt me at any time?) And I don't allow many apps to use location. Not a Facebook user and have heard horror stories about that app's shenanigans. I leave wifi & BT on and I don't think you can disable health -- it's not supposed to make any difference in battery life. There's also usually no point in killing background apps these days since they're suspended. If you happen to need to use one of those apps during the ride launching it will have a higher battery impact than resuming.

Ammon

Thomas Roessler

Apr 28, 2016, 2:08:11 PM4/28/16
to ammon skidmore, SF2G
For long rides, I routinely switch my iphone into low-power mode (through settings) -- that takes care of most background data stuff.

In addition, I make sure that all radios other than cell are turned off (no wifi, no bluetooth), turn down brightness, and try to not use the phone too much during the ride.

Works fine.

Thomas Roessler  (@roessler)

---

Matt Redmond

Apr 29, 2016, 12:32:29 PM4/29/16
to roes...@gmail.com, ammon skidmore, SF2G
Powering the screen is the dominant battery suck on most mobile devices, followed by powering radios, and then CPU-time. I imagine turning the screen off will get you most of the way there.

Thomas Roessler

Apr 29, 2016, 1:14:51 PM4/29/16
to Matt Redmond, ammon skidmore, SF2G
Other GPS-sucking apps are also a big drain.  So, good idea to get rid of background apps that might do that.  Settings / Battery gives you a good overview of those apps.

Thomas Roessler  (@roessler)

Jason Ally

Apr 29, 2016, 3:23:51 PM4/29/16
to SF2G, mttr...@gmail.com, skidp...@gmail.com
YMMV, but last summer I did StP with my iPhone in airplane mode the whole time. My battery didn't die and Strava recorded everything perfectly. I'd try this on an earlier ride first to make sure you'd have similar results, though. I wouldn't try this for the first time before going on a long ride you'd definitely want to get recorded.

Jesse Richmond

Apr 29, 2016, 4:01:05 PM4/29/16
to SF2G
In places with spotty cell reception, I've also had good results by turning off cellular data.