Fwd: Sign Peter Colijn's petition for allowing bikes on the 280 between Hayne and Bunker Hill!

John Murphy

Feb 27, 2015, 8:16:28 PM2/27/15
to SF2G, Matt Laroche, Carlin Eng, Brooks Sizemore
Ok -

If you have any interesting stuff you think Gary Helfrich might be able to use, roll it up.

If we use chunks of Strava info to make a case - would it perhaps be interesting to have a rep from Strava to explain the product in layman's terms to Caltrans?

John Murphy - ta...@murphstahoe.com

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Gary Helfrich" <ga...@bikesonoma.org>
Date: February 27, 2015 at 4:50:06 PM PST
To: "'John Murphy'" <ta...@murphstahoe.com>
Subject: RE: Sign Peter Colijn's petition for allowing bikes on the 280 between Hayne and Bunker Hill!

I'm putting it on the agenda for April. It's interesting that Caltrans has been utterly transparent with regard to timelines and plans for bike circulation through the Marin Sonoma Narrows project, but the have gone flatline on Crystal Springs. We'll be getting a full report at the April meeting, and but would be great to get some video and pictures from local riders.

Gary

From: "'hogorni' via SF2G" <sf...@googlegroups.com>
Date: February 26, 2015 at 6:13:11 PM PST
To: sf...@googlegroups.com
Cc: cordel...@gmail.com

All,

I've just received a reply from Beth Thomas who will work to get the Damn Dam Discussion on the agenda for the Caltrans D-4 BAC on

" Wednesday, April 15 from 1:30 to 3:30. As always, it will be in the District 4 building at 111 Grand Avenue, Oakland. The room number at this point is 230 on the 15th floor. I’m copying here Gary Helfrich of the Sonoma County Bicycle Coalition, who is the current District 4 BAC Chair. He will be the one to approve the agenda that I’ll develop with him."

So if any of you know Gary, perhaps you'll want to nudge him, (eh, Murphy, newest member of the Sonoma Bike Coalition?).

pat

On Sunday, February 22, 2015 at 11:38:23 AM UTC-8, murphstahoe wrote:

The argument is "the hill is hard enough that overall, 15 percent fewer commute rides happen, shifting riders into cars on 280"

John Murphy - ta...@murphstahoe.com

On Feb 22, 2015, at 10:22 AM, Cordelia Link <cordel...@gmail.com> wrote:

My time difference is about 10m based on PRs, though I'm not sure about the accuracy of my detour times since I usually hang out at the end of Crystal Springs for a few minutes.

On Sunday, February 22, 2015 at 5:16:05 AM UTC-8, djconnel wrote:

If speed on the road is 30 kph, and there is an additional climbing penalty @ 1 second / 1000 meters (fairly arbitrary numbers), I get a time difference of 5 min 28 sec.

On Saturday, February 21, 2015 at 11:22:47 AM UTC-8, Rob wrote:

I created a couple segments from Hayne @ 280 to the bike path at Cañada. To get the elevation gain it seems you need to look at the segment for a given ride.

detour is 5.3 miles with 523 ft of climbing.

highway is 3.6 miles with 164 ft of climbing.

On Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 11:56:46 AM UTC-8, James Nishimuta wrote:

I'm in decent shape but certainly not among the more regulars of the group.  My average time for the Skyline Dam Detour is 17:24.  There is also a elevation gain difference between the two routes due to the Crystal Springs decent, 392ft gain on the detour.. I'm actually really surprised it's not more than that. Since the flyover is elevated, it would have even less elevation gain than going over the dam. Perhaps someone can record some GPS tracks while driving over the 280 bridge to determine the elevation gain for the flyover (unless someone already has Strava ride on the overpass.. *ahem*)

On Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 11:20:42 AM UTC-8, Lina Martensson wrote:

I just posted this to mission cycling, roadie scum, and superpro as well.

Please spread it to other groups that may care as well!

-Lina

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 4:40 PM, Lina Mårtensson <lina.ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

Since the dam construction will never ever finish, Peter made a petition that you should all sign:

https://www.change.org/p/california-department-of-transportation-allow-bicycles-on-i-280-between-hayne-road-and-bunker-hill-drive

(Peter already sent this in a different thread, but I'm resending in a new thread in case people missed his email deep down in the other thread)

---

---