5d1w.HMB day 5 - 05/27 - HALF MOON BARWAY!!! - 1630 cscr - style fun

Peter Colijn

Apr 29, 2016, 6:08:23 PM4/29/16
to SF2G
Calling this early so folks can make plans etc.

cscr =
Charleston Shopping Center rollout (the ice cream place, in particular)
[this is convenient for riding over to foot hill, etc.]

If you just done one awesome ride in May, this should be it. Alex has endorsed it as "one of my favorite rides ever".

Likely itinerary (though subject to change, maybe):

Stop 1 - Woodside
  Alternative: Pioneer Saloon (more divey) http://www.yelp.com/biz/pioneer-saloon-woodside
Stop 2 - Half Moon Bay (technically, it's El Granada, but close enough)
Stop 3 - Pacifica
Stop 4 - San Francisco
  St Mary’s

Dinner will be at Hop Dogma [1].

ROUTE: we will be descending 35 to 92 and descending 92. This is mostly to avoid crappy headwind miles on CA-1. We will also probably take Ammon's awesome road dirt, because it avoids more crappy CA-1 miles and is awesome.

STOPS: obviously, descending 92 requires care, so the stop at woodside should involve a very MODERATE amount of imbibing. And same goes for all the stops, actually, since riding north on CA-1 and some of the stuff through Pacifica isn't exactly a picnic either. If you're not taking this seriously you may find us stuffing you into an Uber (lyft, whatever) to take you home :) The non-dinner stops need to be pretty quick but this doesn't mean you should chug a whole beer. Share a beer or have a water if you don't want / can't drink a whole one!

LIGHTS: bring lots, bright ones!

[1] There is (are) supposed to be food truck(s) at Hop Dogma, and there were last year, but if not Half Moon Bay Brewing will be the fallback

Christine Windsor

Apr 29, 2016, 6:23:11 PM4/29/16
to Peter Colijn, SF2G
Can you post a strava file to showcase the so called awesomeness of this ride?

---

Alexandre Passos

Apr 29, 2016, 6:26:50 PM4/29/16
to Christine Windsor, Peter Colijn, SF2G
http://www.strava.com/activities/309853246

Look at the exclamation points to see the awesomeness.
--
 - Alexandre

Scott Johnston

Apr 29, 2016, 6:36:14 PM4/29/16
to SF2G, chri...@colijn.ca, caff...@colijn.ca
+1 from woodside

wohoo! All the routing and planning sounds perfect!

Ryan Minobe

Apr 29, 2016, 7:43:08 PM4/29/16
to SF2G, chri...@colijn.ca, caff...@colijn.ca
+something, pending me being able convince my wife that "i'll be fine"

Ramesh Baller

Apr 29, 2016, 7:45:31 PM4/29/16
to Peter Colijn, SF2G

+1

Oh man! This was so much fun the last time when we did it. Thanks for calling Peter :)

Ramesh

Georgia Andrews

May 1, 2016, 1:44:13 PM5/1/16
to rames...@gmail.com, Peter Colijn, SF2G
+.75 I'll put it on my calendar at least
Women Who Code San Francisco City Director

Alexandre Passos

May 21, 2016, 11:39:16 PM5/21/16
to Georgia, Ramesh Baller, Peter Colijn, SF2G
Bump, to bring this to the top of people's inboxes.

It's this friday.
 - Alexandre

djconnel

May 22, 2016, 7:19:50 PM5/22/16
to SF2G, chri...@colijn.ca, caff...@colijn.ca
Now that's a commute of Murphian proportions:
Elapsed Time9:25:33

Hyan Park

May 23, 2016, 3:36:07 PM5/23/16
to Dan Connelly, SF2G, Christine Windsor, Peter Colijn
+maybes.  Sounds fun (and cold?).

Alexandre Passos

May 23, 2016, 3:37:09 PM5/23/16
to Hyan, Dan Connelly, SF2G, Christine Windsor, Peter Colijn
Last year it was only cold at the top of King's. For much of the rest I wasn't even wearing arm warmers (it gets nice if the afternoon wind dies down).
--
 - Alexandre

Ted Ketai

May 23, 2016, 4:33:35 PM5/23/16
to Alexandre Passos, Hyan, Dan Connelly, SF2G, Christine Windsor, Peter Colijn
Hoping to make it, call it +.75 for now.

Georgia Andrews

May 23, 2016, 9:21:26 PM5/23/16
to tke...@gmail.com, Alexandre Passos, Hyan, Dan Connelly, SF2G, Christine Windsor, Peter Colijn
I was cold more frequently than alex, but it still wasn't that bad. Layers were so key.

Peter Colijn

May 23, 2016, 9:24:11 PM5/23/16
to Georgia Andrews, Ted Ketai, Alexandre Passos, Hyan, Dan Connelly, SF2G, Christine Windsor
I don't remember being all that cold, but we also don't ride for very long at a time, maybe an hour between stops.

Dan Connelly

May 23, 2016, 9:45:47 PM5/23/16
to SF2G
You can see on Alex's Strava activity the temperature bottomed out @ 9C on Skyline but then gradually increased from there, holding 14-15C by the finish.

Ted Ketai

May 24, 2016, 12:24:13 AM5/24/16
to Dan Connelly, SF2G
Yeah, up on Skyline it was pretty miserable (foggy, wet, cold) but the rest was pretty comfortable. YMMV of course.

Peter Colijn

May 26, 2016, 3:16:05 PM5/26/16
to Ted Ketai, Dan Connelly, SF2G
Reminder folks: this is happening TOMORROW, and it's gonna be awesome! :)

Thomas Haggerty

May 26, 2016, 4:22:51 PM5/26/16
to Peter Colijn, SF2G
One possible way to avoid a buzzed descent from 35 could involve a modification of the route by skipping Woodside, climbing OLH and making the first stop Applejacks in La Honda.  Haven't been, but sounds cool and looks good from the outside.

And regarding a headwind along Hwy 1, after (wind sheltered) climbing to the top of Stage and turning onto 1, it's virtually all downhill to HMB and you (may) get to enjoy more of the coastal sunset and none of the nasty traffic on 92.  It is a few extra miles, but not like tacking on 300 extra miles to a double century.

Just a suggestion,
Tom

Alexandre Passos

May 26, 2016, 4:25:15 PM5/26/16
to tdhag...@gmail.com, Peter Colijn, SF2G
Interesting. I'm not sure I like adding more time on 1, since that was my least favorite part of the route.

(what we did last year to avoid a buzzed descent down 35 and 92 was putting only one bar before the Kings climb, which would hopefully boil off all alcohol in our systems)
--
 - Alexandre

Ted Ketai

May 26, 2016, 6:00:22 PM5/26/16
to Alexandre Passos, Thomas Haggerty, Peter Colijn, SF2G
Yeah, there was no problem with buzzed 35, by the time you're done climbing King's all the alcohol has been consumed. It's also nice to have a bar that's a good meetup spot for those of us coming from PA and the like.

Alexandre Passos

May 26, 2016, 7:00:25 PM5/26/16
to Ted Ketai, Thomas Haggerty, Peter Colijn, SF2G
Here's a route traced from my gps last year, in case anyone wants to follow it.
--
 - Alexandre

Hyan Park

May 26, 2016, 7:35:27 PM5/26/16
to Alexandre Passos, Ted Ketai, Thomas Haggerty, Peter Colijn, SF2G
Ted/Scott-- what time are you guys thinking of rolling from PA?

Scott Johnston

May 26, 2016, 7:42:25 PM5/26/16
to Hyan Park, Alexandre Passos, Ted Ketai, Thomas Haggerty, Peter Colijn, SF2G
Last year I intercepted the group at Sand Hill and Alipine at 5pm, so I'll plan to be there just a few minutes before 5 tomorrow.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "SF2G" group.

Peter Colijn

May 26, 2016, 7:42:34 PM5/26/16
to Alexandre Passos, Ted Ketai, Thomas Haggerty, SF2G
Did you forget to include the link?

Alexandre Passos

May 26, 2016, 7:47:49 PM5/26/16
to Peter Colijn, Ted Ketai, Thomas Haggerty, SF2G
Yup. here it is, for reals this time: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/14001806
--
 - Alexandre

Ted Ketai

May 26, 2016, 7:58:46 PM5/26/16
to Hyan Park, Alexandre Passos, Thomas Haggerty, Peter Colijn, SF2G
Figure I'll leave PA at ~4:45 since we're 3-4 miles closer to Bucks than CSR.

Yvonne Yip

May 26, 2016, 9:01:12 PM5/26/16
to Ted Ketai, Hyan Park, Alexandre Passos, Thomas Haggerty, Peter Colijn, SF2G
+0.75 if I make it to MTV tomorrow morning I'm in.

Peter Colijn

May 26, 2016, 9:46:36 PM5/26/16
to Ted Ketai, Hyan Park, Alexandre Passos, Thomas Haggerty, SF2G
I'm thinking we should try Pioneer Saloon this year, mix it up a little bit.

So itinerary:
Stop 1 - Woodside
Stop 2 - Half Moon Bay (technically, it's El Granada, but close enough)
Stop 3 - Pacifica
Stop 4 - San Francisco
  St Mary’s

ammon

May 26, 2016, 10:03:49 PM5/26/16
to SF2G, caff...@colijn.ca, tke...@gmail.com, tdhag...@gmail.com
Only change I'd make is to hop on Pacifica's coastal trail earlier at Crespi Dr. Avoids climbing with fast traffic and reduces chances of flats from shoulder glass. Slightly slower due to the switchback descent, which could be considered a fun feature of the route.

I'm +0.9

Peter Colijn

May 26, 2016, 10:12:54 PM5/26/16
to ammon skidmore, Thomas Haggerty, SF2G, tke...@gmail.com

Works for me :) Really hope you can make it because I'm not sure I can find the AmmonDirt (tm) on my own :P

Hyan Park

May 26, 2016, 10:20:54 PM5/26/16
to Peter Colijn, ammon skidmore, Thomas Haggerty, SF2G, Ted Ketai
Double checking-- I should bring locks, correct?

Ted Ketai

May 26, 2016, 10:22:21 PM5/26/16
to Hyan Park, Peter Colijn, ammon skidmore, Thomas Haggerty, SF2G
Yes

Alexandre Passos

May 27, 2016, 12:47:08 AM5/27/16
to Ted Ketai, Hyan Park, Peter Colijn, ammon skidmore, Thomas Haggerty, SF2G
Route updated to include pioneer saloon.

Last year locks were pretty handy; none of the places had convenient indoor bike storage (winters had bike racks outside and st mary's had parking meters; in the other places it was more like locking your bike to enough other bikes to make it a mess if anyone steals one)

Peter Colijn

May 27, 2016, 7:31:10 PM5/27/16
to Alexandre Passos, ammon skidmore, Thomas Haggerty, Ted Ketai, SF2G, Hyan Park

Peter Colijn

May 27, 2016, 8:29:20 PM5/27/16
to Alexandre Passos, ammon skidmore, Thomas Haggerty, Ted Ketai, Hyan Park, SF2G

At pioneer saloon.

Ted Ketai

May 27, 2016, 8:39:33 PM5/27/16
to Peter Colijn, ammon, tdhag...@gmail.com, SF2G, Hyan Park, Alexandre Passos

Anybody else coming? We're gonna leave in 5 or so if not.

Peter Colijn

May 28, 2016, 1:41:19 AM5/28/16
to Ted Ketai, Thomas Haggerty, ammon skidmore, Alexandre Passos, Hyan Park, SF2G, Christine Colijn

Incoming to St Mary's. ETA 30 mins for anyone who wants to meet there.

Peter Colijn

May 28, 2016, 3:40:07 AM5/28/16
to Ted Ketai, ammon skidmore, Thomas Haggerty, Christine Colijn, SF2G, Hyan Park, Alexandre Passos

Thanks for coming everyone! That was super fun.