OT: garmin crapping out mid-ride

Peter Colijn

Apr 22, 2016, 1:45:57 PM4/22/16
to SF2G
It's happened to me twice this week, where my garmin (510) is definitely on and recording, and then the next time I take a look at it it's completely shut down. Both times the garmin had a full charge when I left, and I never received any low battery warnings or anything.

If I turn it back on, it's on the 'paused' screen (with save and discard options). Both times I pushed the pause/record button and it started recording again after it got a GPS signal, and kept accumulating distance from my original starting point.

BUT when I upload the files to strava, they "start" at the spot where I rebooted the garmin, not my actual starting point.

Examples:

Anyone else have this problem? Is there any way to recover the 'full' rides?

Peter Colijn

Apr 22, 2016, 2:47:54 PM4/22/16
to SF2G
Chris Ryan pointed out that it might be because my garmin is "full" (or close to it). It has 20MiB free out of 21MiB. So imma try deleting some stuff and see if that helps.

Aside: why do these $200+ devices have such puny storage? A 32 gig flash drive costs $10. I shouldn't have to worry about tiny .fit files filling up a device for like 100 years.

Matthew Kenaston

Apr 22, 2016, 6:46:29 PM4/22/16
to SF2G
dude, your .fit files are probably extraordinarily big compared to the average user. Just sayin.

Darrin Ward

Apr 22, 2016, 6:50:50 PM4/22/16
to Matthew Kenaston, SF2G
eh i filled my 510 a few time and im fat and lazy.  i agree with peter, i should never have to think about deleting old rides.  storage is dirt cheap.  garmin is lazy.

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 3:46 PM, Matthew Kenaston <matthew....@gmail.com> wrote:
dude, your .fit files are probably extraordinarily big compared to the average user. Just sayin.

---

Peter Colijn

Apr 22, 2016, 6:54:02 PM4/22/16
to SF2G
On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 11:47 AM, Peter Colijn <caff...@colijn.ca> wrote:
Chris Ryan pointed out that it might be because my garmin is "full" (or close to it). It has 20MiB free out of 21MiB. So imma try deleting some stuff and see if that helps.

Er, I meant to say it has 20MiB _used_ out of 21MiB.

Peter Colijn

Apr 22, 2016, 6:55:54 PM4/22/16
to Matthew Kenaston, SF2G
I guess I am probably slower than most garmin users, but still, we're talking about files that are at most a couple hundred KiB.

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 3:46 PM, Matthew Kenaston <matthew....@gmail.com> wrote:
dude, your .fit files are probably extraordinarily big compared to the average user. Just sayin.

Matthew Kenaston

Apr 22, 2016, 7:19:37 PM4/22/16
to SF2G
Ima call a style 2.GarminBuster by the end of the year. I'll expect both Peter and Lurch to join and it won't be a success unless we fill 'em up. In the meantime, aiming for a 2.5low hippie skyline Tues next week. Watch for it.

Darrin Ward

Apr 22, 2016, 7:24:33 PM4/22/16
to Matthew Kenaston, SF2G
mine gets full because i dont delete the rides after upload.

i cant imagine how long of a single ride you would need to do to fill up 21MB.

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 4:19 PM, Matthew Kenaston <matthew....@gmail.com> wrote:
Ima call a style 2.GarminBuster by the end of the year. I'll expect both Peter and Lurch to join and it won't be a success unless we fill 'em up. In the meantime, aiming for a 2.5low hippie skyline Tues next week. Watch for it.

Christine Windsor

Apr 22, 2016, 7:47:25 PM4/22/16
to Darrin Ward, Matthew Kenaston, SF2G
Maybe you can't imagine a ride that long, but I can imagine Peter trying to find out...

Inline images 1

Peter Colijn

Apr 22, 2016, 7:55:53 PM4/22/16
to Darrin Ward, Matthew Kenaston, SF2G
Apparently you can assume 100KiB per hour so 210 hours or 8.75 days. The RAAM folks can run into this problem, then, I guess.

Lina Mårtensson

Apr 22, 2016, 7:56:56 PM4/22/16
to Peter Colijn, Matthew Kenaston, SF2G, Darrin Ward

Was this a disguised announcement that you are doing RAAM this year?

Rupesh Kapoor

Apr 22, 2016, 8:17:38 PM4/22/16
to Peter Colijn, Darrin Ward, Matthew Kenaston, SF2G
I think 510 auto deletes old fit files as long as they were successfully uploaded to garminconnect. I've run into many strange 510 bugs, but never run out of space.
-Rupesh

Peter Chang

Apr 22, 2016, 8:23:06 PM4/22/16
to SF2G

Le vendredi 22 avril 2016 15:50:50 UTC-7, Darrin a écrit :
storage is dirt cheap.  garmin is lazy.

garmin is cheap, this is consumer electronics we're talking about where $0.01 BOM change == a zillion dollars manufacturing cost == whatever to the end customer. they're trying to hit whatever price point and the bump from N to 2N bit parts isn't worth missing that (or cutting their margin or whatever) for whatever number of chips they've already bought / consigned / hwatever.

otoh, it does seem like a small matter of programming to actually tell you that storage is full or there was a write error or anything.

\p

Peter Colijn

Apr 22, 2016, 8:53:42 PM4/22/16
to Rupesh Kapoor, Matthew Kenaston, SF2G, Darrin Ward

I don't use the Garmin connect crap. I tried once and it told me to install some windows or Mac only software.

Zak Jarvis

Apr 22, 2016, 8:54:54 PM4/22/16
to chri...@colijn.ca, Darrin Ward, Matthew Kenaston, SF2G
I have complete faith in Peter's ability to fill a 20meg Garmin with one ride.

Rupesh Kapoor

Apr 22, 2016, 9:02:55 PM4/22/16
to Peter Colijn, Matthew Kenaston, SF2G, Darrin Ward
i don't have any PC software. My setup is 510 ---(bluetooth)---> garmin connect phone app ---(interawebs)---> Strava. Of course I never look at the garmin connect web site (which amusingly seems to have all the social features a la Strava). it's just there to relay the data to Strava when I tap 'Save'. And to delete old .fit files.

--
-Rupesh

Patrick Lea

Apr 22, 2016, 9:17:40 PM4/22/16
to rupe...@gmail.com, Matthew Kenaston, Peter Colijn, SF2G, Darrin Ward

I believe I read here that the unit updates all is fit files when you change timezones so it could be small by design such that it does not have to take hours to do that update. Alternatively they could not update those files.

Peter Colijn

Apr 22, 2016, 9:25:05 PM4/22/16
to Rupesh Kapoor, Matthew Kenaston, SF2G, Darrin Ward

I heard Bluetooth was a way to kill the Garmin's battery, and don't really see the point of Garmin connect if I'm using strava anyway. But I guess I could try it. Then I'll forget to charge it though :(

Rupesh Kapoor

Apr 22, 2016, 9:45:08 PM4/22/16
to Peter Colijn, Matthew Kenaston, SF2G, Darrin Ward
I did a semi-scientific test with and without bluetooth to decide my strategy for the double. The conclusion was that the difference is within the margin of error. Both seemed to yield 130-150 miles/charge at my speed.

I take it you plug your 510 into a USB port? To me, the biggest benefit of garmin connect is that I can upload my rides to Strava without a cable or any interaction with another device.

(I can't believe I'm sorta defending garmin here. I hate their poor quality control and random bugs, but this part seems to work mostly OK).
--
-Rupesh

Peter Chang

Apr 22, 2016, 10:01:04 PM4/22/16
to SF2G
hmmm... I figured most people did the moral equivalent of a udev rule to: mount / copy to golden monkey / rm / sync / umount / hit delete on the sysfs entry. dumping the block device leaves the usb bits attached enough that it charges but I don't have to worry about fsck-ing fat32 (or whatever they're calling it these days).

\p

Ben Kochie

Apr 22, 2016, 10:06:06 PM4/22/16
to Peter Colijn, Matthew Kenaston, Rupesh Kapoor, SF2G, Darrin Ward

Brett Lider

Apr 25, 2016, 7:45:55 PM4/25/16
to Ben Kochie, Peter Colijn, Matthew Kenaston, Rupesh Kapoor, SF2G, Darrin Ward
+1 to Rupesh. I toggle Bluetooth to enabled on my Garmin Edge 1000, sync with the Garmin Connect app on my phone, and presto, my ride is up on Strava with no laptop or cables in the way. Then I toggle off Bluetooth until after my next ride.

Ken MacInnis

Apr 25, 2016, 7:50:51 PM4/25/16
to bli...@gmail.com, Ben Kochie, Peter Colijn, Matthew Kenaston, Rupesh Kapoor, SF2G, Darrin Ward
Same. I use a 920XT and Garmin Connect on my phone to auto sync (including a Strava push). Even performs "OTA" updates.

The 920XT doesn't auto delete and it gets hella slow when it's near full, since the sync is suboptimal and seems to process each file, every time.

Robert Sexton

Apr 28, 2016, 2:24:36 AM4/28/16
to caff...@colijn.ca, SF2G
Mine does this when I don't purge old stuff often enough.   They don't behave too well when they fill up.

Be sure that you do the deleting on the device.   If you use a mac it'll happily move them to the 'Trash', which doesn't actually make things better :-)

- Robert

On Fri, Apr 22, 2016 at 10:45 AM, Peter Colijn <caff...@colijn.ca> wrote:

---

Robert Sexton