OT: getting edge 510 to do turn-by-turn

Peter Colijn

Apr 4, 2016, 9:41:02 PM4/4/16
to SF2G
The last few times I tried to use a course on my 510, it didn't really do anything.

On SLO it just said "off course" and "course found" a bunch of times, but didn't give me any turn-by-turn.

On Mariposa it did literally nothing except play the little chime-y noise at the end.

I didn't even bother with Panoche.

Do I need to buy the special membership thingy on ridewithgps? When I did the SFr 200k a couple months ago, it did do turn-by-turn and that also came from ridewithgps without a membership. I also got it to work a few times with my old edge 500 without a membership.

I can buy the membership but I'm confused about what I'm actually buying, since it seems to work sometimes and not others.

Alexandre Passos

Apr 4, 2016, 9:43:44 PM4/4/16
to Peter Colijn, SF2G
AFAICT the membership only makes your phone do turn-by-turn when offline (and it lets you upload routes to the garmin via connect) (I pay for the thing because I like the offline phone thing when riding on dirt). The phone does turn-by-turn when connected for free.

The 500 always worked with turn-by-turn for me. It goes off-course a lot and often doesn't show the course line but it's better than nothing.

---

 - Alexandre

Rupesh Kapoor

Apr 4, 2016, 10:23:35 PM4/4/16
to alexan...@gmail.com, Peter Colijn, SF2G
Peter, I have a ton of experience creating/using courses on RWG+510. I can demo it next week.

You can download an RWG tcx file without any special membership. Drop it in the NewFiles and it will be absorbed in. Sometimes, 510 loses GPS reception under a thick tree cover, resulting in an off course warning. In that case, I just wait for it to recover and maybe keep an eye on the extent of deviation just in case I'm actually off course.

You do have to pay RWG to get advance turn notice (RWG adds cues a few ft before the turn). No reason you can't do it manually if you really want to. Having said that, I use courses all the time, and I've never needed advance warning (I check cue sheet periodically and make a mental note of how far the next turn is. When navigating a tricky/unfamiliar area, I just stay on the map screen).
-Rupesh

Peter Colijn

Apr 4, 2016, 10:40:05 PM4/4/16
to rupe...@gmail.com, Alexandre Passos, SF2G
Ok, maybe that's my problem. I was using GPX not TCX.

Chris Merrill

Apr 5, 2016, 12:12:03 AM4/5/16
to caff...@colijn.ca, rupe...@gmail.com, Alexandre Passos, SF2G
Related note about courses and my 310XT (Ant+ only).

There was a multiple-month period of time where the Garmin Express software would crash instead of loading courses. There was another couple of weeks where I could only download my data from the 310XT using the ANT+ support on my phone (and not the dongle on my laptop). My phone would often drop connection in the middle of transfer and require starting over multiple times before it finally got a full data file. As there is no external USB port on this device, I was SOL in both of these cases.

As of now the only way I can load courses is to upload a GPX/TCX as an activity file, turn that into a course on Garmin connect, delete the activity which has now synced to Strava, and then hope the Garmin software loads the course eventually.

(Sidenote: If anyone has figured out how to get turn by turn directions onto a 300 series Garmin, please let me know. I was only able to do it once, a long time ago, and never again.)

~Chris "maybe I should just give up and buy a 510" Merrill

Peter Chang

Apr 5, 2016, 12:27:54 PM4/5/16
to SF2G

Le lundi 4 avril 2016 18:41:02 UTC-7, Peter Colijn a écrit :
The last few times I tried to use a course on my 510, it didn't really do anything.

mine is hit/miss. if i show the map screen it will show where to go (although sometimes the resolution is fixed at ~100km).

however, if i set one of the display segments to 'distance to next' there's some magic where sometimes it works as advertised, other times it shows me distance to 'end' (or something equally useless), and othertimes it shows some numbers that don't seem to mean anything.

i've only been using the tcx things from ridewithgps, but 'side-loading' via the 'new stuff' directory on the device (rather than using garmin connect or whatever). this is doing something because it makes the 'loading profiles' part of the boot sequence take forever-and-a-day, but i've been chalking it up to garmin's always sucky sw (seriously, i tried to use the in-app 'delete courses' and they were all still listed until i did an 'rm -f * ; sync').

\p

Peter Colijn

May 2, 2016, 8:29:11 PM5/2/16
to Peter Chang, SF2G
I'm still having issues with this. I made some courses for going to/from the DMD on the weekend, and only got 'on/off course' notifications, no turn-by-turn. However, the spring classic TCX did give me turn-by-turn.

I thought it had to do with the 'virtual partner', which seems to get enabled if you say 'yes' to 'navigate to start of course' but not otherwise or something? I find the virtual partner pretty useless, so I'd like to disable it permanently, but googling did not reveal a way to do that.

Yvonne Yip

May 2, 2016, 8:36:56 PM5/2/16
to Peter Colijn, Peter Chang, SF2G
I thought it had to do with the 'virtual partner', which seems to get enabled if you say 'yes' to 'navigate to start of course' but not otherwise or something? I find the virtual partner pretty useless, so I'd like to disable it permanently, but googling did not reveal a way to do that.

Not sure if it's the same on the 510 but on the 520 you can disable virtual partner in the same menu where you choose how many pages of data fields you want. It's the same page that lets you disable the map, elevation profile, etc.

Peter Colijn

May 2, 2016, 9:21:26 PM5/2/16
to Yvonne Yip, Peter Chang, SF2G
Thanks, I'll see if I can find that (I find the garmin settings pretty inscrutable). Do you know if the virtual partner affects turn-by-turn-y-ness, or is it just a coincidence that whenever I said 'yes' to 'navigate to start' I did not get turn-by-turn?

Peter Chang

May 2, 2016, 9:29:08 PM5/2/16
to Peter Colijn, Yvonne Yip, SF2G
> Do you know if the virtual partner affects
> turn-by-turn-y-ness, or is it just a coincidence that whenever I said 'yes'
> to 'navigate to start' I did not get turn-by-turn?

hmmm... i never really do anything other than go to the routes and hit
start from there (when i'm about to start). sometimes i get turns and
othertimes i don't. the map always seems to work, so it does have some
idea where i am.

\p

Yvonne Yip

May 2, 2016, 9:32:06 PM5/2/16
to Peter Colijn, Yvonne Yip, Peter Chang, SF2G
Not sure (although virtual partner seems unrelated to turn-by-turn) but are you using GPX or TCX for the DMD? I think turn by turn info is somehow only available in a TCX file: https://ridewithgps.com/help/export-file-formats

I never use the route for more than "show on map" though... It seems to eat battery when I have it enabled.

Peter Colijn

May 2, 2016, 9:36:58 PM5/2/16
to Yvonne Yip, Peter Chang, SF2G
I was using TCX. Made the GPX mistake before...

Alexandre Passos

May 2, 2016, 10:06:41 PM5/2/16
to Peter Colijn, Yvonne Yip, Peter Chang, SF2G
Just to double-check, you did make your tcx courses with ridewithgps and not strava or garmin connect, right? I only get turn-by-turn with ridewithgps.
 - Alexandre

Peter Colijn

May 2, 2016, 10:37:59 PM5/2/16
to Alexandre Passos, Yvonne Yip, Peter Chang, SF2G
Yeah, ridewithgps. Though if the strava one doesn't do turn-by-turn..... that's not very useful. I tried a strava route once using the app and it did nothing to help me follow the route, so it seemed kind of pointless.