OT: rack trunk suggestions?

Ben Breslauer

Jul 8, 2014, 10:50:45 AM7/8/14
to sf...@googlegroups.com
I'm thinking about getting a rack trunk (a bag for on top of a bike rack, not a rack for the back of a car), but I haven't found all that much and I'm hoping people here have suggestions. I'm ideally looking for something that hooks onto a rack (like the Ortlieb pannier-style hooks) but I'm guessing most are attached with velcro.

Any suggestions?

Dave Borowitz

Jul 8, 2014, 1:07:27 PM7/8/14
to bbres...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
Topeak has a proprietary attachment for trunk bags called QuickTrack that works pretty well if you don't mind being locked into one brand. I used the MTX EXP for three or four years before it started falling apart and I decided nice (Ortlieb) panniers were a better investment. Which raises the question: why are you considering a trunk bag over panniers? :)

On Tue Jul 08 2014 at 7:50:44 AM, Ben Breslauer <bbres...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm thinking about getting a rack trunk (a bag for on top of a bike rack, not a rack for the back of a car), but I haven't found all that much and I'm hoping people here have suggestions. I'm ideally looking for something that hooks onto a rack (like the Ortlieb pannier-style hooks) but I'm guessing most are attached with velcro.

Any suggestions?

---

Ben Breslauer

Jul 8, 2014, 1:30:47 PM7/8/14
to Dave Borowitz, sf...@googlegroups.com
I have Ortlieb panniers right now, but I was looking for something smaller. Especially for rides where I want to carry just a little more than I can fit in a pocket or a seatpost bag (which is currently filled with flat fixing stuff), it feels silly to carry an entire pannier. I'm not sold on getting a trunk bag, though, so anti-recommendations are welcome too :)

I did check out the Topeak trunks last weekend, but I don't have a Topeak rack and don't feel like getting a new rack, so those are out unfortunately.

Leslie

Jul 8, 2014, 2:23:08 PM7/8/14
to bbres...@gmail.com, Dave Borowitz, sf...@googlegroups.com
As someone who used to use a rack trunk...
The ones that hooked instead of use velcro never worked well for me -
since all racks have different layouts, there's lots of adjustments.
Even with adjustments, the stress on the hooks caused the bag to fail
after a relatively short amount of time. I would recommend just going
with velcro (or switch to a Topeak rack)

The lightest rack trunk I used was a Transit Metro bag --
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1155148_-1_400103__400103
It held a pretty decent amount of stuff, especially if you are looking
for something light and in between a pannier and seat bag.

Dave Borowitz

Jul 8, 2014, 2:45:08 PM7/8/14
to Leslie, bbres...@gmail.com, sf...@googlegroups.com
For intermediate amounts of stuff on medium-long rides (e.g. SF2G) I'm carrying a backpack anyway, since I don't have a rack on my carbon road bike. For intermediate to large amounts of stuff on my city bike with a rack, I guess I don't see the advantage of something smaller than a pannier. If you're really worried about weight/aerodynamics, don't carry so much stuff?

But this is just my personal preference for fewer choices. If you prefer having more choices on hand so you can choose exactly the right size and no smaller/larger, I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise :)