OT: good routes for a baby in a trailer?

Nathan Dushman

Jan 25, 2016, 12:57:48 PM1/25/16
to SF2G
For those of you who have pulled kids around in trailers, can you suggest trailer-friendly bike routes? My son is old enough now for the bike trailer, and he naps happily in it, so I'm thinking I can ride while he sleeps. I don't mind if we have to drive a short distance to get to the start. Ideal routes would be around 15 miles long (1.5-2 hours at approximately 10mph), have smooth pavement so he doesn't get bumped around too much, minimal traffic on a wide road or separated bike lane, and be reasonably flat since neither climbing nor descending is much fun with the trailer. I'm thinking something like an out and back along Sawyer Camp Trail, or sections of the Bay Trail near Genentech.

Also, if any of you with kids would be up for a group weekend ride sometime, let me know.

Nathan

John Murphy

Jan 25, 2016, 1:06:11 PM1/25/16
to sf...@googlegroups.com
Feral Cats. There is parking near the water stop, benches to stop and have a snack if needed, and there are multiple very good playgrounds near the water stop, plus the museum at Coyote Point which my son really loved, they have some neat rube goldberg type things to play with and a small zoo. And you can sit and have a snack and ZOMG watch airplanes land. Hours of fun.

Man you are making me miss having a 2 year old. A lot simpler than trying to get a 7 year old out the door for school. Guess I don't miss the diapers.

I used to run the paved loop around Lake Merced which is 4.5 miles, there are definitely no road crossings of note, but it can be loud with the speed of traffic on the roads.
--
---

Bret Lobree

Jan 25, 2016, 1:57:31 PM1/25/16
to John Murphy, SF2G
+1 for Cats. You can make a loop of it with a little wide bike lane riding at the end too.

Like so:

man...look at that activity number

David Simpson

Jan 25, 2016, 4:33:45 PM1/25/16
to SF2G
For something more low key in the city, there's the bike path that bisects Golden Gate park, can be combined with car-free Sundays... and there's always the Polo Fields ;)

I have a 4.5 year old now, and he's graduated from the I-Bert (the green bike seat that goes on front) to a trail-a-bike... but he sometimes needs convincing to go for a ride.  But that being said, some sort of group ride (Feral cats) might be fun some weekend.

ammon

Jan 25, 2016, 4:59:41 PM1/25/16
to SF2G
The shell mounds by Foster City's bay trail are a fun stop for kids. There's a spot at the end of Marlin Ave as pictured in https://www.strava.com/activities/105673044. And for the older kids there's dirt jumps a little south of there across from Bowditch middle school where you can see the words "Foster City" in satellite view.

Justin!

Jan 25, 2016, 5:28:05 PM1/25/16
to SF2G
Great thread!

A few that are fully separated in the East Bay:

Bay Trail from Emeryville to Richmond Marina (waterfront and fun boats to see)

Ohlone Greenway from North Berkeley BART (good kid-friendly lunch stop at Westbrae Biergarten)

The MUPs in Contra Costa (Iron Horse, Moraga-Lafayette, etc.)

Would love to learn of more and happy to meet up sometime with the Xtracycle!

Bret Lobree

Jan 25, 2016, 6:04:38 PM1/25/16
to A Roja, SF2G
OH right...East Bay. Do the Bay Bridge and trails. Freeway is white noise.

bret

Jed 'twothirds' Michnowicz

Jan 25, 2016, 6:45:58 PM1/25/16
to SF2G
Bike Sunday on Canada could be a good option.  Some gentle rollers to keep you honest.
http://parks.smcgov.org/bicycle-sunday

As a side note, I once saw a a guy going up Old La Honda with a trailer and two kids in the back.  That had to be at least ~50 lbs.  I don't even want to know how he got down the hill safely.

Peter Colijn

Jan 25, 2016, 6:48:13 PM1/25/16
to Jed Michnowicz, SF2G
Last year I saw a dude hauling a kid in a trailer up Ventoux. Kid seemed to be having a nice nap. The dad, not so much :P

Josh Grossnickle

Jan 25, 2016, 11:19:47 PM1/25/16
to SF2G, jmi...@gmail.com

Great suggestions.

I ride Sawyer Creek Trail w/ my son.  13miles round trip.  Start from the north end w/ the decent and skip the last southern mile which gets crowded on weekends.

Would enjoy hooking up w/ anyone else has young kids (6 to 10) who enjoy riding

ammon

Jan 26, 2016, 2:25:11 AM1/26/16
to SF2G
I've taken my oldest daughter up Montebello, Page Mill, Kings Mountain, and San Bruno Mountain for the Low Key Hill Climb series in a trailer. Easiest is San Bruno since it's short and not steep (just mind the potholes). Page Mill felt like the hardest with the steep pitches, but it has the best payoff for kids in the warmer months when the nature center is open (it's by the pond at Skyline & Alpine).

For flat, the halfmoon bay trail is nice, and they finally fixed a key bridge that had been out for a year so it's complete again. If driving south on 1, park by El Granada Elementary and use the light at Coronado St to cross to the northern end of the trail.

Krash

Jan 26, 2016, 12:50:39 PM1/26/16
to SF2G
Expanding the area, anyone have suggestions of routes in the South Bay?  I know there's a couple trails like the Guadalupe River Trail, Coyote Creek Trail, and Los Gatos Creek, but open to more suggestions.

BikinHowd

Jan 27, 2016, 11:02:04 AM1/27/16
to SF2G
Across the Dumbarton Bridge from FB in Fremont/Newark there are the Coyote Hills, which are fun themselves to ride around, though a bit narrow at places, and the almost flat Alameda Creek Trail that runs about 11 miles out from Coyote Hills toward Niles. The only problem on the Alameda Creek Trail are the 10 or so underpasses if you go the full length, each of which could be a little strain with a trailer for 10 seconds, but the trail is fairly wide and not heavily trafficked by walkers/bikers. There is a lot of good safe parking in the Coyote Hills area as well. I love to ride the Coyote Hills and the Alameda Creek Trail when I come out to visit my kiddos at FB and Stanford...

Justin!

Jan 27, 2016, 11:17:15 AM1/27/16
to SF2G